Honda Accord oil capacity question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. I have recently taken over maintenance of my mother's 99 Honda Accord EX (3.0 liter VTEC v6). She had been following a 3k OCI and using VIOC for the service. I filled it with PP 5w-30, used a BOSCH filter, and told her to run the oil for 5k. She has roughly 4.5k on this oil, and the car has consumed .5 quart in that time. The car never consumed any oil before. I'm not too worried about the consumption, as I know that changing oil brands/viscosities can cause short term consumption, and am going to give PP another OCI to see if the car gets "used to" the new oil. I was wondering if anybody saw any problem with adding 5 full quarts (spec is 4.5) to accomadate for any consumption (and its easier to just dump a 5 quart jug in there!). I'm sure it won't be an issue, but want to double check. Thanks in advance!

the actual engine oil capacity for that car is 4.7 quarts, that car will be fine if 5 quarts was used. I have a 2000 honda accord 4 cylinder that specify's 4.5 quarts, i always put 5 quarts and ive never run into a problem. my car has 169,000 miles with 5 quarts always added

Agree, 5-quarts if fine and is what I do with my to Hondas. I would give the PP 5W-30 at least two more tries. Do you know what oil was being used at the VIOC? How many miles on your Mom's car?

I actually made a thread about this for my Accord in January. You can read through the responses if you would like. As a result, I do put 5 quarts in my car and have been since making the thread. No issues here.
thumbsup2.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=124072&Number=1755317

Our '99 4.5 quart 4 cyl has been getting five quart fills since it was new.
No harm, no foul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back