15w40 hdeo vs 20w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
While most 15/40s hold up pretty good there are several 20/50s which maintain there wts also.If you check some of the uoas there are some samples of Amsoil and mobile 1 v twinn oils that actually tend to thicken up with use and age. There even was a sample of Brad Penn oil that performed the same.If your bike uses the oil in the motor as well as the trans, that type of use tends to shear oil fast. But whats most important is to use what weigh the mfgr of your bike specs for the bike.Harley for instance recommends 20/50 wt normally, but says to use 10/40 when the temps are under 40f.As well as using straight 50 wt and straight 60 for when it gets really hot.,,

dont be so fast to claim hdeo's are the be all end all of oils.

while GREAT in the price per qt arena. the are not king when it comes to longevity.

actually the top performers on my list are either 15w50 or 20w50 and sae50.

heck, sae40 stands toe to toe with the hdeos.

it all depends on WHICH oil you pick to put into the fight.
when i tested VR1 sae50 it was only 40cents a qt more than SRT yet it was a big time winner over srt.
maxima 4 extra was out of the park good. but it has a price you can buy 1 gal of srt.

as always, the use of "best" is relative.

I've got a 2000 yamaha vstar and am trying to decide between rotella dino 15w40 or a 20w50. Bike is spec'd for 20w40, but the only place I've seen that weight is yamalube at the dealership.

yamaha and their 20w40 merely wants you to buy their yamalube 20w40 AT the dealership for $99 per quart. PASS!!!

go look in the manual. i am sure it will show other weights and the temp ranges for oil.

that said, being in ohio it doesnt get hot and i doubt you ride in the snow, so there are many choices for you:
sae 30, sae 40, 15w40 and 20w50 (only in summer for you). if you want a ride when it chilly and still be able to crank the motor over easy look at castrol syntec 0w30 (GC) or srt 5w40 bluejug. otherwise the hdeo 15w40s or a good (ie not gtx) 20w50 especially on a bogo deal are wise choices.

I need to update my profile. I recently moved to South Carolina. Summers are hotter down here, but when it gets above 90 degrees, I'm not inclined to ride a bunch of miles. I know some people shy away from the hdeo and go with a 20w50. Just looking for a bit more insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back