Dealer-Recommended Fuel Induction Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2008 Nissan will hit 30K miles next month. The dealer is REALLY pushing their $130 Fuel Induction Service with BG Performance Additives, almost to the point where they are implying that I'd be delinquent if I do not get it done. I've pointed out to them the the manufacturer service guide does not call for any such thing, to which they respond that the manufacturer leaves that open to the dealer to recommend based on "retailer's experience based on climate and driving conditions".

By no means am I one to drink the "dealer Kool-Aid", but I also know that I don't know everything and am not going to pretend that I do. However, wouldn't injectors so dirty/clogged that they require service/cleaning at 30K miles be a bit premature and out of the ordinary? And if they were dirty/clogged, wouldn't I probably notice a degradation in performance, fuel efficiency, and maybe even see an indicator in my most recent UOA?

While I know the need/benefit is debatable, I've been putting in a bottle of Chevron Techron or Gumout Regane every 6K miles since the vehicle had 4K on the ODO. I figure it's cheap preventative maintenance and might help keep the fuel system clean.

So my question is, is this something the dealer is pushing simply because it's a high-margin service that they make money on and is a waste of my money? Or is it in my best interest to get it done in order to keep everything performing optimally?

I have a friend in Wisconsin that had over 180,000 miles on his last vehicle and is approaching 100,000 miles on this one and never had anything done other than used an injector cleaner a couple of times in the gas tank.

If you have any questions why not call Nissan directly.

I would save your money.

If the engine seems sluggish then I would have it done. You notice when you step on it good if the engine picks up speed real quick. I had this problem on my ford ranger with about 24,000 miles on it. Felt sluggish and took longer to get to redline. My neighbor gave me some type of fuel additive that he came up with. He wouldn't tell me what it was but it worked great. Gave all my power back. I think the reason my injectors got carboned up was because of all the short trips I took with that truck. You should know whether or not the injectors need cleaning by how the vehicle performs. If it still has plenty of power and you don't notice anything is wrong then don't waste 130 dollars. But Im a very attentive person and know when things are not running right. I always try to pay attention to how something sounds/works when it is running correctly that way I won't be like did it always make that sound? Sorry for the long rant but basically if you don't notice any power loss don't waste the money.

The dealer may be on to something - every engine design is different... But there should be good reason to do it... Otherwise it is just a profit maker.

I'd ask them for notification in writing that fuel system issues would not be covered by warranty without this service, then run it by Nissan themselves.

Had the same haggle with my Chevrolet dealership. They went almost to the point of threatening that if I didn't do it and had a fuel related issue under warranty, that I would be SOL. I still declined but started doing some research when I got home. Most modern fuel injection systems require no maintenance at all. GM specifically recommends a fuel induction system treatment ONLY if there is a fuel delivery or driveability issue, and it is only a trouble shooting guideline. Most dealers are desperate to sell extra add-ons because of the decreasing frequency of oil changes they see. If you are using a fuel system cleaner at least every 10K or so, you should never have the need for a pressurized treatment like your dealer wanted to sell you. You did the right thing.

If you are using quality gasoline is it even necessary to use a gasoline additive for your injectors? I had a 1995 Altima with 97,000 miles that I recently traded in that I never put any type of additive in. Lots of short trip driving too. Still had plenty of pep.

Why are you even asking this question? You already know the answer! Of course, dealer is pushing for it. What does that have to do with whether you fall for it or not?

At 30K, I challenge you to find a *single* thing which manufacturer requires to *change/replace* on a passenger vehicle made in last two years. (OK, may be cabin filter and/or air filter)

Please never attend a timeshare presentation :)

- Vikas

I know Ford recommends not adding any additives to engines etc. I'm not saying that they couldn't help, but the dealer could actually be going against manufacturer recommendations. I don't know what the nissan manual says on this but I've heard that some additives may cause plugs to have a different color. I would try to use top tier fuels and call it good if you aren't experiencing any hesitation.I think the best cleaning is if they take out the injectors and let them soak- a professional cleaining if you will.

ugh..it's a nissan dealer...critic take note..
48.gif

Stealerships are always gunning for more service biz. Read your manual carefully, that's the definitive source for all maintenance required.

Note that I have fuel injected trucks in my fleet with 2-4 hundred thousand miles and have never experienced injector issues.

Originally Posted By: mikiee
If you are using quality gasoline is it even necessary to use a gasoline additive for your injectors? I had a 1995 Altima with 97,000 miles that I recently traded in that I never put any type of additive in. Lots of short trip driving too. Still had plenty of pep.

Ethanol is one of the best fuel system cleaners there is. (that's why boaters hate it; it cleans all the gunk out of their fuel tanks) Your fuel system is likely as clean as when the car left the factory. No need for fuel additive to do more cleaning.

This cleaning is nothing more than another Stealership profit center. But hey, they have kids to send to college too!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
I know Ford recommends not adding any additives to engines etc. I'm not saying that they couldn't help, but the dealer could actually be going against manufacturer recommendations. I don't know what the nissan manual says on this

Yeah, I've already called the dealer out on that.

The Nissan manual says, "NISSAN does not recommend the use of any aftermarket fuel additives (for example, fuel injector cleaner, octane booster, intake valve deposit removers, etc.) which are sold commercially. Many of these additives intended for gum, varnish or deposit removal may contain active solvents or similar ingredients that can be harmful to the fuel system and engine."

So when I asked them about the BG Additives in their 30K Fuel Induction Service and their push of BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner every 7,500 miles, they danced a little and tried to explain that they have complete faith in the BG products and have discussed it with the manufacturer who supports them. It was an awkward dance to watch.
lol.gif

the ONLY result that you will receive from this service is that you will have $130 less. I would however recommend changing the fuel filter whenever the manuf. recommends. In addition to the 6K fuel cleaners that you are using will keep that engines fuel system plenty clean almost forever. This is all I have done in over 500,000 miles of maintenance on my cars over the past 21 years and never have had a fuel system problem.

And my biggest recommendation is to find an independant shop that will treat you well. Ask your neighbors and friends if they really trust a local mechanic.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
I know Ford recommends not adding any additives to engines etc. I'm not saying that they couldn't help, but the dealer could actually be going against manufacturer recommendations. I don't know what the nissan manual says on this

Yeah, I've already called the dealer out on that.

The Nissan manual says, "NISSAN does not recommend the use of any aftermarket fuel additives (for example, fuel injector cleaner, octane booster, intake valve deposit removers, etc.) which are sold commercially. Many of these additives intended for gum, varnish or deposit removal may contain active solvents or similar ingredients that can be harmful to the fuel system and engine."

What is funny about that is that there are Nissan TSB's and even a "special tool" for cleaning fuel injectors with the 3M pressurized cleaner. They also sell "Nissan Fuel System Cleaner" which comes in a Techron looking bottle. It also has the little Chevron shield in the bottom of the bottle.

Manufacturers like to keep the recommended maintenance schedule to a minimum because those schedules are used to determine cost of ownership from all of your consumer report time reviews.

barlowc -
You are using a LOT of good in tank cleaners. I think more than necessary. At least it is safe - I have no problem with this really.
I strongly doubt you need any additional cleaning by the dealer.

But the throttle body bore and plate should be kept clean. You can do this manually with solvent, a lint free cloth, and a finger/probe/screwdriver/whatever. Get it dinner plate clean on the plate and bore. Don't just spray cleaner down there.

I think 30k is a little too soon for the BG service....I heard it's a good service to have done, I do believe in preventative maintenace too, but if you've been using in-tank treatments, you shouldn't have a problem.......just ignore the dealer.

Now maybe once you get 100k on the clock, give the induction service a try....

BTW, from what it appears, the Gum Out Service that walmart offers for 30$ seems to be almost the SAME as the BG service, all amounts to a can of cleaner hooked up to the PCV hose, and a can of cleaner dumped into the tank....

Likely, the only difference is the "chemicals" in the cleaners (GumOut's 2 step vs. the BG chemicals).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back