Made in China oil filters.. why all the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading a lot of posts about Chinese brand filters and i would say the majority of people on this board not only dislike them but despise them.

I see a mix of people disliking them because of various reasons from manufactured issues (shotty work, defects, etc) to just a general dislike for imported products.

The shotty manufacturing i can understand, but i guess i am curious why someone wouldn't buy a filter that was equal in performance at a lower price? Is it because it has the "Made in China" sticker on it?

I am looking for feedback on this as I am looking to import Chinese made filters and know the market out there is tough on filters manufactured in China so your personal experience and feedback would be helpful

I'm sure the quick lubes will be a fantastic customer base for Chinese made oil filters.

This board would not be the target market.

Not just Chinese at issue. Have you ignored the posts about Fram Oil Filters?

Most things made in China are garbage, oil filters included. Chinese cars are junk, Chinese tires are junk, Chinese electronics are junk. They should just stay out of the automotive world.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
This board would not be the target market.

to clarify I am just trying to find out why it is people wont buy Chinese brand filters not selling anything, I posted my question to try and get more then the typical "I hate chinese made products" response.

Also i have read about FRAM and the pizza box end caps and I too would never spin a FRAM on my truck

Last edited:
I have bought one of the new (In Canada) Motomaster oil filters from Canadian Tire, one of the new black labeled ones.. It seemed pretty good quality. Made in China.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I try to avoid made is China as possible. Though the price may be less the true cost is way too expensive.
+

Steve can you expand on what you mean by "true cost is way to expensive"

Originally Posted By: adworld
Originally Posted By: Steve S
I try to avoid made is China as possible. Though the price may be less the true cost is way too expensive.
+

Steve can you expand on what you mean by "true cost is way to expensive"

The cost of damage to the environment in China is something that we have outsourced - we enjoy cleaner air and water while we consume products which do not include the cost of environmentally friendly technologies and processes.

Originally Posted By: cryption
Most things made in China are garbage

That is because US companies allow Chinese manufactures to produce garbage so the fat cats at the top can pay for that 3 million dollar boat that's sitting behind their 10 million dollar home
smile.gif

But i do agree the walmarts of the world allow for junk to come outa China

That is because US companies allow Chinese manufactures to produce garbage so the fat cats at the top can pay for that 3 million dollar boat that's sitting behind their 10 million dollar home
smile.gif

smile.gif
The funny thing is that the junkiest Chinese products are not found in China but on the shelves of places like Dollar Tree or Walmart in this country.

Chinese products tend to be hit or miss. Which you'll get, you don't know.

FWIW, I used to laugh at the Samsung (Korean) products I sold when I worked in a dept. store through college. Now Samsung's one of my preferred brands.

I noticed that VIP has recently discontinued their Chinese house brand oil filter in favor of one made in Korea. I would suspect sales were poor, but am not sure.

Most things I buy from China do not last. They are not a good "value" in my opinion. My last two microwaves haven't lasted very long, one less than six months. My Adidas sneakers are coming unglued long before they are worn out. If a Chinese oil filter fails, the consequences can be much more severe. Unless you can sell it for $1.98 and warranty consequential damages, I wouldn't buy it.

If you are a conservative, you might not buy products made in The People's Republic of China for patriotic reasons.

If you are a liberal/progressive you might not buy products from the People's Republic of China for their violations of basic human rights.

I'm not saying either reason is wrong or right neither am I going to debate the value of either position. But those are reasons one might not buy any Chinese products.

Made in China products that I have experienced are overpriced for the quality recieved.
The cost of the unemployed U.S, citizens makes the poor quality made in China products cost prohibitive, I pay attention to these kinds of things "not TV sports or dancing with the stars"
And I concur with the above posts.
I must add that I try to buy the best product for the $ spent and I do buy certain imported products. For example I have owned 4 Toyota vehicles and the 2006 P/U has dropped in quality so much I most likley not buy another Toyota product.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
We need to make stuff here. Our economic health relies on it. OTW bye bye USA.

i don't disagree

this is how one can see it as well.. One can start up a company to import oil filters and be able to employee 4-5 people who currently don't have jobs or one could do nothing because they dont have the funds to start up a full fledged manufacture company and in turn those 4-5 people stay unemployed..

Last edited:

smile.gif

As well as to buy the people in government.

The reason so much manufacturing has been outsourced is that it simply because it's too expensive to manufacture things in the US.

Before anyone jumps on this, I'm not singling out any one group, such as unions or upper management or Wall Street as the sole culprit, I'm just stating a sad fact.

China can manufacture products much more inexpensively because their workforce does not enjoy the same benefits (insurance, pensions, safety, etc) or high standard of living as American workers. Again, just another fact. I'm sure the Chinese could build excellent products if given the opportunity, but the companies that contract with them don't want excellence, they want a cheap price, so that's what we get.

Quote:
The shotty manufacturing i can understand, but i guess i am curious why someone wouldn't buy a filter that was equal in performance at a lower price? Is it because it has the "Made in China" sticker on it?

Well, someone like yourself ..at a time when this nation was much "less poor" said the same thing. A whole lot of people like yourself. In many ways, it was a decent disposition. Imagine, having the entire globe slaving away ..giving us the HIGHEST QUALITY GOODS for a few slips of green paper. Imagine that (i'm serious).

But the "other shoe" has fallen on that and our trade debt ..or rather the balance of interest payments on all that "apparent" good value, has come to bite us in the behind. Now it's not just the (alleged) lazy and ignorant union worker (who paid a few bills of the kingdom) ..but EVERYONE now has to scramble for a purpose.

What do you do with unneeded people?

Foreign development does not serve the nation's citizens ..at least not all of them to any enduring degree. It's serves the financiers and money changers.

That's why. In trying to "live the best you can" ..you're advancing the saw that is cutting your own legs from beneath you. Now all the lazy protectionists of yesteryear are finding new members to their ranks, just like the whacked conspiracy theorists and reactionary constitutionalists in regard to the fed reserve and stuff that was not apparent ..not apparent "at that time".

We've been throwing a party ..and we're not poor enough yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back