Suzuki oil filter cross?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not as concerned about which is best or whatever. What I need is a cross reference chart that I can use. The only filter I'm sure of is a K&N but can't find a cross. The # is kn137. It's a common Suzuki oil filter but I don't like being chained to the dealer. Anybody done this one yet?

A search using Google on the Suzi part number and "cross reference" brings up this as the first hit.

16510-03G00-X07 cross reference

Quoted from http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

[2] These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1mm threads,
11 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve.

None are recommended.

This is a proprietary Suzuki
thread, and no high performance
filters are made for 20mmx1mm
threads. Available filters include:

* AMSOil SMF 109
* Bike Master 314-0025
* Champion PH7016
* Cycle Power 314-1919
* Emgo 10-55662
* Emgo 10-55660
* Fram PH6018
* Hi-Flo HF138
* J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
* K&N 138
* NAPA 1359 / WIX 51359
* NAPA PS7937
* Parts Unlimited
* Per-Form J-509
* ProPart 01-0029
* Purolator ML16818
* STP SMO-18
* Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07
* VESRAH vsf-3009
* WIX 57937

Last edited:
Odd ball threads on Suzukis keeps you limited to cycle specific filters.

Suzuki autos use more common threads allowing large pool of alternatives.

HiFlo makes the K&N motorcycle oil filters. HiFlo brand filters do a good job without the expensive K&N name. Others on that list do well...WIX/NAPA, Emgo, Purolator (probably Chinese).

I just started using the HiFlo 138. Good looking filter, I will disassemble it when I change the oil and report.

The stock Suzuki filter is a good one. IIRC?? it is the ONLY one with the good silicon ADBV and with most of the filters mounting hoizontal above the sump (on my bike anyhow) this seems important to me. I run them for two...2000 mile oil changes at a time (I've ran it for 3 OCIs a couple times) and when cut open they look to hold up great. I checked what the they run on the $250,000 superibkes with my own eyes and it was the stock filter.

Note that some of the Suzuki filters have a different shaped gasket than many other filters. Follow the tightening direction on the can. If it says two turns, make two. If it says 1/2 or 3/4 turn, do that.

I like this from the CALSCI report:
"None are recommended."

Well, we gotta use SOMETHING, right??
21.gif
I've had good luck (nothing broke, yet) with OEM, NAPA 1359 and Puro ML16818 over the past many years/thousands of miles on a couple different Suzi's.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks everybody. I hoped I could have a Super Tech at the local Walmart for ease of obtaining more than cost but it looks as though the best thing to do is order a half doz. from my favorite online Suzuki outlet.

I've looked over that oil filter cross-reference chart at Calsci, and my interpretation of the "none are recommended" is that there were none that were specifically recommended, or maybe not tested, against the others, not that they were bad. The list included Champion, Purolator, and Wix filters which in general are considered pretty good.

Having said that, for my Suzuki bikes I've ended up just ordering a bunch of the OEM filters. Wouldn't mind trying a purolator filter when my supply runs down.

Vic

I use the ML16818 on my SV650S. I order them from Amazon, they are reasonably priced, and work as well as any other filter I've used. And I'm fairly certain that the K&N's are made by Champ Labs... even the bike filters.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Note that some of the Suzuki filters have a different shaped gasket than many other filters. Follow the tightening direction on the can. If it says two turns, make two. If it says 1/2 or 3/4 turn, do that.

Yep, the Suzuki filter for the M109R comes with a nice, thick O-ring gasket, which I like better than the thin, flat ones that come on the other brand's filters. And they're only about $10. No reason to buy anything but.

Originally Posted By: sirgerman

it seem to be a good filter according to the manufacture
Even fram will say they have a good filter.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: sirgerman

it seem to be a good filter according to the manufacture
Even fram will say they have a good filter.

Yikes! I don't know if it's a good thing having Fram endorsing your product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back