WD-40 getting expensive? Cheaper Alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's just me, but it appears that when WD-40 changed the can/nozzle design, two things happened.

1. The price went up
2. The nozzle functionality actually suffered

I have used WD-40 extensively for "cleaning and detailing" motorcycles... removing tar, labels, light lubrication, and the list goes on and on. It works well and doesn't harm most finishes. Great stuff.

So I'm at the local discount store and I see a generic "spray oil" for half the price.... and it makes me wonder....

Is there a cheaper alternative?

WD-40 has its uses though and I love it. I do NOT buy it for a lubricant, as said there are much better things out there for that (Kano Kroil is by far my favorite)

But yes, I agree! the price of WD has went up significantly! and those new spray nozzles suck!

if you like wd-40, its on sale at lowes with 2 cans for like $6, with a $10 coupon off your next purchase. Cant beat being paid $4 to take them...

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Never liked WD 40. CRC 5-56 walks all over it.

Yeah probably but I don't use it for a lubricant. Mostly for cleaning chrome and motorcycle stuff.... removing tree sap... labels.... squirt the cats when the climb on the bikes.... you get the idea.

I got a whole cabinet full of break free, kroil, LPS, etc. for "other" uses.

I've never ruined anything by squirting WD-40 all over it and that's my point. I want something like WD-40 (for my uses) but cheaper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: justinf89
if you like wd-40, its on sale at lowes with 2 cans for like $6, with a $10 coupon off your next purchase. Cant beat being paid $4 to take them...

So maybe THAT is the solution - wait until it goes on sale and then stock up !

THANKS !!!

People still use WD-40? I'm a fan of MMO for just about everything. I use it to wipe down my tools before they go into storage. It's never caused any problems on my finishes but it couldn't hurt to test a small, hidden area first. It penetrates quite well and I've even used it to remove corrosion.

-Tech

Also, if you really do like WD-40, until tomorrow Advanced Auto Parts has a 20% off coupon when you order online. WD-40 normally is $16/gallon at AAP so it would be $12.80 for a gallon, which should last you a while. You can pick it up in store after you order. The offer expires tomorrow though.

-Techniker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back