Toyota 4.7L 2UZ-FE, 8500 mi on Mobil 1 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the report from my 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser. I bought it used with 210,000 miles on it and no previous history. I did my first change with Mobil 1 5W30, and here you can see the result. Just general mixed driving. I know this is supposed to be a nice wearing engine, but you can see the iron, copper, and lead are pretty high. Any opinions? It's still running great.

1038804603_pTRiT-XL.jpg

Who knows what kind of service this unit saw before - you could be cleaning up after previous neglect.

That said, the truth is, these results aren't THAT bad for 8500 miles at all. Maybe high by BITOG standards, but overall pretty good.

Visc., flash, TB, insols....all very good.

I believe that as engines wear, bearing clearances increase and, the bigger clearances accelerate further wear.

Not knowing the history on that motor, I'd be inclined to run a thicker oil than 5w/30. Just me but, it'd be Rotella T6 5w/40. It's thin enough for SC and it's not like you're gonna kill your fuel mileage.

Thanks, I guess the next uoa will be pretty telling. I really do need to cut the interval back to 5000 mi., huh?

People keep telling me I can go 10-15,000 miles on synthetic oil, but I usually change it at 6000 mi. Just stretched it a bit this time around!

This is my first UOA, I hope I don't get addicted. :)

South Carolina, 1999 vehicle, 200,000+ miles. Run a heavier oil like a 10W40 HDEO. In Australia most people (90% or more) would be using either 15W40 or 20W50 in that vehicle.

Last edited:
I would be really curious to see a Dino run on this vehicle for the 5k interval, see what the new SN oils are all about. If you can't run a syn 8.5k try the dino. I am starting to think the gap in dino vs. syn is decreasing. Please by no means anyone take this as a M1 bash, but try a 5w30 dino. South Carolina gets pretty cold winters maybe spring i'd go w/the HDEO. All in all it is really a pretty good report! We are waiting for the zero wear report...I don't think we'll get it but who knows;)

People will tell you anything re how long you can run synthetic. Remember,each vehicle,drive,driver combo,etc.,is unique. Good thing you checked.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
People will tell you anything re how long you can run synthetic. Remember,each vehicle,drive,driver combo,etc.,is unique. Good thing you checked.

Still there's nothing to say that if he'd done two intervals of 4250 miles each that the cumulative wear would have been any less. There's no signs that the old has broken down or depleted so I suspect the cumulative wear would have been exactly the same.

people making comment about high wear:
Well - If this was a 4 cyl reading 2 0 9 10 3, you would say it was great. Well the above numbers are fully equivalent to a 2.3L 4 cyl - 1/2 the motor = < half the wear.
Time to Re-calibrate you minds!
Not wild about seeing the potassium though ... Maybe HG or intake re-new in recent past? Not much Si to go with it. is there special K in Toyota LL coolant?

Last edited:
If this engine was excessively worn, I'd expect higher consumption.

That fact thast there was little to no consumption in 8500 miles tells me this engine is in pretty decent shape.

That said, it would be interesting to see how a thicker 30-weight or 40 weight would do here.....

Originally Posted By: FZ1
See,that's the point. You "think" you "know."

Yes I do, based on the facts that the oil viscocity and TBN are still fine. See I have actual reasons.

And you "think" it would have been better with two or more OCI's. What's the basis of that thought?

I would try Mobil 1 5W30 HM or the 10W30 HM oil for your next OCI. Great oil that cleans well and has a higher level of zinc/phos and also moly. Really a nice syn oil and would work really well for your application.

M! HM has just been reformulated (suspect minus the high PAO base) vs. the earlier stuff - but who knows it may be better-er given it wasnt a low temp oil before. The pour points are much worse - ithe 10w-30 used to have the magic EoM pao marker of a -65F pour.

low oil consumption can 'suggest' the engine is in decent shape. But it is not definitive.

There could still be some bottom end wear and tear after 218k miles!

I would not hesitate to run a slightly heavier oil in that well used motor!

I went back with the same thing, Mobil 1 5W30, but will try something heavier next time. The Shell Rotella T6 is good stuff? I've always used Mobil, but am not married to it.

When I bought this truck there was a mysterious loss of coolant that I thought might be a HG, but it turned out to be a gasket on a coolant bypass on the intake. I also lost a coilpack on one of the cylinders and had to drive it with the miss for the rest of the day. I don't know if any of this could affect the oil though.

Thanks for all the feedback. Great info on here!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Who knows what kind of service this unit saw before - you could be cleaning up after previous neglect.

That said, the truth is, these results aren't THAT bad for 8500 miles at all. Maybe high by BITOG standards, but overall pretty good.

Visc., flash, TB, insols....all very good.
+1 see what the next uoa shows.

Originally Posted By: burp43
Thanks, I guess the next uoa will be pretty telling. I really do need to cut the interval back to 5000 mi., huh?

People keep telling me I can go 10-15,000 miles on synthetic oil, but I usually change it at 6000 mi. Just stretched it a bit this time around!

This is my first UOA, I hope I don't get addicted. :)
If you engine will not go 10,000 miles on syn oil then why use it. The advantages aren't there for you.

Seems like a perfect candidate for Rotella T5 10W-30. Semi-syn, 10W-30 still appropriate for a 5W-30 application, cheap, stout, available easily, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back