185/70R14 vs 195/70R14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to be buying new Michelin Destiny's in a week or so from Discount Tire ($70 MIR). Stock tire size is 185/70R14. This being a sub-compact car (02 Civic) it has a lot of road noise and rides somewhat bad.

I compared the difference's in these two sizes and here are the size differences:

185/70R14(stock) 195/70R14(+size)
Sidewall Height +.27"
Width +.4"
Diameter +.55"
Circumference +.1.73"
Revs per mile -18.56

Also, when my speedometer is showing 70mph I will be doing approx. 71.59mph

My Questions:

1. Since I drive 99% hwy will I get a little better MPG running the taller/wider tire? Car currently runs 70mph@3,000RPM.

2. Will the taller/wider tire ride smoother?

3. Also, the taller/wider tire is $6 per tire cheaper. Would you go for the non stock size if you were me doing 800+miles/week at 99% hwy?

I welcome all input, advice, and opinions....

Thanks

Last edited:
The larger tires should fit without any problems, since the difference is pretty small.
The wider tire may offer somewhat better turn-in and grip.
The slight increase in overall gearing should yield a slight increase in steady state fuel economy.
At the same time, the taller overall gearing in every gear will slightly reduce acceleration.
The slightly taller sidewall may offer some improvement in ride.
For less money, you get more tire, with no downsides (except slightly reduced accleration) that I can see.
Go for it!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The larger tires should fit without any problems, since the difference is pretty small.
The wider tire may offer somewhat better turn-in and grip.
The slight increase in overall gearing should yield a slight increase in steady state fuel economy.
At the same time, the taller overall gearing in every gear will slightly reduce acceleration.
The slightly taller sidewall may offer some improvement in ride.
For less money, you get more tire, with no downsides (except slightly reduced accleration) that I can see.
Go for it!

Thanks! That's pretty much the conclusion I came up with. Now if this was a daily city driver, stop and go, lots of acceleration, etc. it would be a lot different.

FWIW, when I bought the car last year I had to go about 300 miles to pick it up. After test driving, I thought, wow this thing seems much quicker than my previous 02 Civic. On the long commute home I was following my girlfriend and was wondering why she was going 75-77mph. Well she was only doing 71-72mph. When I got home, I noticed it had smaller tires therefore being like it was geared lowered but it also screamed down the hwy and was probably burning more fuel than needed.

Though your MPG will be better it will look worse because of the odometer error. Run some tanks with a GPS logging distance before and after the new tires.

Or you'll be quietly cruising along, engine noise is down, and everyone around you will be going "62", and you'll say, what's with all the geezers, pull out in the left lane, and start getting tickets.
lol.gif

195/70/14 is popular with chevy cavaliers and they ride pretty cushy for something small.

Yeah good point. Anyone out there smart enough to figure me out a percentage ratio formula to use when checking MPG? I get about ~400 miles a tank. Right now my average over MANY tanks this summer is 37.7 MPG. I go through 3 tanks of gas a week and always check MPG to better understand my driving habits and how they affect my MPG.

I would go with the 195/70-14 tire. Its too bad that Honda doesn't make the Civic with a taller 5th gear for better gas mileage.

all Civics (except the Si) should have come with the same trans as the Civic HX with taller gearing.

Agreed. The sweet spot seems to be around 2,200-2,500 RPM at cruise. Especially for a hwy commuter such as myself.

So after playing with the tire calculators I have come to the conclusion that I will be traveling 2.3% faster than what the speedo shows........

So I guess I would just add 2.3% to total miles driven to compensate for tire size difference when I figure my MPG? Can anyone verify if that sounds correct? Thanks!

The smoothest,quietest,most comfortable,tire you can get is the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread. Personally,I prefer the oem tire size. They are smoother and quieter than the Destinys. They will only last about 40-45k. Keep up with the free rotations and you will get a credit from DT on them wearing out early when you buy your next set. They may get less mpg than the Destinys. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
The smoothest,quietest,most comfortable,tire you can get is the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread. Personally,I prefer the oem tire size. They are smoother and quieter than the Destinys. They will only last about 40-45k. Keep up with the free rotations and you will get a credit from DT on them wearing out early when you buy your next set. They may get less mpg than the Destinys. Hope this helps.

I looked at those also but the DT guy recommended the Michelins over them. The GY are also about $16/tire more after rebates,etc. I think either will be a great improvement over the Pirelli P4's I currently have. Not sure if the difference between the Michelin and goodyear would be measureable?

Edit: I feel like I took a MPG hit when I went with the P4's, would like to get it back...

Last edited:
Get mine at DT also and they always recommend the Michelins over the GY. I think they must have a volume rebate deal with Michelin. Had both the Destiny and the Ctreds on my Accord and the ride and noise difference is noticeable. The tire noise at 60 is greater with the Destinys. Remember you have 30 days at DT to bring back the tire you got and exchange it for another,if you don't like the tire. So,if you got the Destinys,and were not happy,I guess you could exchange them within 30 days for the Comfort Treads.

Good point. After reading some reviews for both(destiny's get higher reviews) it seems that tread life is the reason for it.

If say they have an 80,000 mile tread warranty and only make it to 50,000 does the warranty difference only apply towards the purchase of another comparable/same brand set or towards any set and brand?

Sumitomo HTR T4 is a low cost 'low rolling resistance' tire many people talk about on Gassavers(dot)org that you can find on TireRack.

Have you checked your speedo accuracy with your current tires?

my 2002 ranger came with 245/75r16's from the factory..

you would think the speedometer would be accurate but
after I switched to 265/75r16's and checked with a gps on a flat road. I was doing 75.3 when the speedometer said 75.. about as accurate as my eye could be.

I had also checked with the old tires and it was something like 2mph off. (read 70--really-68)

and yes I checked with the factory tires when they were new.

They were horrid wrangler rt/s that cupped and sounded like boggers that were tossed at 14k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Have you checked your speedo accuracy with your current tires?

my 2002 ranger came with 245/75r16's from the factory..

you would think the speedometer would be accurate but
after I switched to 265/75r16's and checked with a gps on a flat road. I was doing 75.3 when the speedometer said 75.. about as accurate as my eye could be.

I had also checked with the old tires and it was something like 2mph off. (read 70--really-68)

and yes I checked with the factory tires when they were new.

They were horrid wrangler rt/s that cupped and sounded like boggers that were tossed at 14k miles.

Yeah actually I did check before someone smashed and grabbed my GPS unit. GPS would read .5-1.5 MPH faster than what speedo was showing with about 50% tread life left with current tires. I just figured it was a either a buffer built in from the factory or my primitive looking speedo needle that marks 20, 40, 60, 80 mph....

Not sure,I think it applies to the price you paid for the tire that didn't last the warranty period. Yes,you can apply to a different tire. If you are reading the reviews on TR or DT,reverse the order and look at the least favorable reviews,also.

Originally Posted By: bryceban
......My Questions:

1. Since I drive 99% hwy will I get a little better MPG running the taller/wider tire? Car currently runs 70mph@3,000RPM.

While the diameter is in the right direction, the new tire itself - particularly compared to what you came from - is going to have a much larger affect on fuel economy. If you are replacing OE tires, it is almost a given you will lose MPG's. Plus new ires get worse F/E compared to wornout tires.

2. Will the taller/wider tire ride smoother?

If you use the same inflation pressure, it's a tossup. This would be dependent on the new tire itself.

If you adjust the pressure downwards (to obtain the same load carrying capacity), you'll hurt the fuel economy advantage of the larger tire.

3. Also, the taller/wider tire is $6 per tire cheaper. Would you go for the non stock size if you were me doing 800+miles/week at 99% hwy?

In a heartbeat.

Well looks like I don't have much to lose going with the bigger tire over the OEM size. I have also decided that the Michelin Destiny will give me the best bang for the buck when comfort, noise, tread wear, traction performance, and fuel usage are all taken into account, and also what is available at my local DT. BTW, after rebate's, my out the door price including all taxes, tire disposal, etc is only $355.

Last edited:
Remember,you can take 'em back and get those Comfortreds within 30 days. Keep us posted as to how you like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back