Radiator has no drain plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I mentioned in demarpaint's thread...

My 4.8 GM doesn't have a drain plug. I referred to my Hayne's manual and it shows one, with a hose. However, after crawling under the vehicle and observing from the top, I notice the following:

1. I don't have the hose that is used for draining.
2. I notice where the drain plug is SUPPOSED to be. It has an indentation hole into the radiator, but there are no threads or ways to turn it. It appears to be smooth like it's all one piece of the radiator housing. I verified this with my finger and observation with inspection mirror. No way can I fit my head into there to actually SEE it.
3. There's a hose nipple at this same location for the said hose.

I'm perplexed. Why would they go to all the trouble making the location for the hose and indentation for the drain, but not supply me with a usable drain cock?

It appears to me the only way I'm going to be able to drain it is pull the lower hose. Since this is the first time I've done this on this truck, will I need to do anything special? Remove the thermostat or no?

Keep in mind all I want to do is drain the radiator, not flush it or run a hose through it (if I can avoid it). Fluid is pristine for 5 years old. I've got several gallons of Zerex Dexcool 50/50.

Remove the lower hose from the radiator, and the radiator cap, that should get the job done. I'd imagine it was a cost cutting measure. That and the excuse with the long life coolants people don't change out their anti-freeze that often.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I couldn't find one on my 04 Altima either.
Really? My 03 is on the right hand side of the radiator, (left from front view). However it's easier to see by removing the cover under the radiator.

Interesting...When I was working with my brother and nephew during the start up of their 1 800 Radiator franchise, I noted that some aftermarket radiators came without drain plugs. These were aluminum with plastic tanks pieces and invariably the "note section" in the catalog stated that the previous drain plug location was a known stress-riser prone to cracking the plastic tank and that the customer should be informed to remove the lower radiator hose to drain the radiator. First time that I heard of a OEM radiator deleting the drain plug though.

This is the way it is on my fathers 06 Sierra HD as well, you have to pull the bottom hose from the radiator.

My guess is it is more of a cost cutting measure. If an automaker can save a dollar or even less per unit they'd probably do it, especially in this economy.

I've never had a car that had no drain plug at all.

However I've had three where it was 100 times easier to just remove the lower rad hose than to open the blankety-blanking drain plug.

Originally Posted By: MrBeachcomber
Interesting... the catalog stated that the previous drain plug location was a known stress-riser prone to cracking the plastic tank...
Lame excuse, in my opinion. Cost savings is the likely answer.

Yup GM stopped putting drains in the radiators a few years ago. I say good riddence because you run the chance of breaking the plastic plug or having it never seal again if you mess with it.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Yup GM stopped putting drains in the radiators a few years ago. I say good riddence because you run the chance of breaking the plastic plug or having it never seal again if you mess with it.

I have gotta agree with this comment. I remember wrenching the whole drain assembly out of my Chevette back in the day and then shopping for a new rad!!!

I busted the drain on my 2002 ranger.

it was a hex head plastic bolt that was HOLLOW with an allen/hex center

so if you did over about 5ft-lb it would snap off.

I busted mine off because it was stuck in place...

with a 1/4" ratchet that was 4" long... sigh

luckily only the outer head broke off it was still useable
with the allen wrench drive.

unfortunately, i didn't notice from my viewing angle you could use an allen wrench on it until i broke it

oh and the drain was a pita it was a recessed behind metal and if you didnt have a hose to put on it it just sputtered all over the place. And it did leak around the bolt while draining and went all over.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: MrBeachcomber
Interesting... the catalog stated that the previous drain plug location was a known stress-riser prone to cracking the plastic tank...
Lame excuse, in my opinion. Cost savings is the likely answer.
As an M.E. who has designed polymer parts for the big guys, you can mold a more robust part without having internal threaded plug boss avoid brass bung inserts
-
For BITOG'ers: This is also to keep the OCD, paranoid and the careless polluters from needlessly draing and refilling nasty coolant when its not required.

I appreciate the help in coming to terms with having no drain cock. I find it somewhat ridiculous and this is the first vehicle I've ever had that didn't have one.

Tomorrow I'll be doing an oil change, changing the wiper blades, PSF flush, brake fluid flush, and dumping/refilling the antifreeze.

I don't look forward to the coolant bath coming. However, the only real way I can get to the hose is from under it.

Any comments on if I should change the clamp to a screw type once I'm done? I'll probably repeat the coolant drain/refill a few more times over the course of a year.

The clamp type provides even hoop tension, regardless of the temperature. It'll breathe with thermal cycling and when the hose material takes a compression set. It also prevents you from overtightening. Lots of people start posting on the automotive forums in the dead of winter complaining that the hose joints are leaking.

Originally Posted By: bigmike

Any comments on if I should change the clamp to a screw type once I'm done? I'll probably repeat the coolant drain/refill a few more times over the course of a year.

In the old days when the spring type factory clamps were round wire, I always replaced them with screw-type. But honestly I think the new flat spring type are much better than screw-type clamps. They don't tear up the hose, and they maintain clamping force as the hose material shrinks.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My guess is it is more of a cost cutting measure. If an automaker can save a dollar or even less per unit they'd probably do it, especially in this economy.

Exactly! My 2005 Chevy Trailblazer has no drain plug either. Some members at another forum (Trailvoy) that own 2002 models say that their trucks DO have it.

We have seen GM cut lots of little things over the 2002 - 2009 model years. For example the under the hood light, the icon on the dash that tells you your cruise is on are two that come to mind at this minute. All little stuff!

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I couldn't find one on my 04 Altima either.
Really? My 03 is on the right hand side of the radiator, (left from front view). However it's easier to see by removing the cover under the radiator.

I'll look next time I do a flush, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back