KLEEN-FLO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any experience with this brand. More specifcaly their Kleen Valve And Lifter and Engine Flush.

From what i can tell the Valve and Lifter additive seems to be like seafoam.

Aromatic Solvent 5-10%
Petroleum Distillate 15-40%
Naphthenic Oil 30-60%
O-Dichlorobenzene

Originally Posted By: expat
They supply Walmart's Tech 2000 house brand motor oil.

Oops, Sorry, that is Safety Kleen

Napa here carries a lot of their product line. I bought and used the Kleen Flo carb and throttle body cleaner (not the exact name of it, but that's what its for) to spray into my throttle body and butterfly valve, then cleaned with a cheap toothbrush. It worked fine, and I keep it on hand for future uses, and it has some other applications too.

This is not the same product you're referring to, but the same brand. That's the extent I can comment on it, though, as YMMV completely since that's a different product entirely.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Napa here carries a lot of their product line. I bought and used the Kleen Flo carb and throttle body cleaner (not the exact name of it, but that's what its for) to spray into my throttle body and butterfly valve, then cleaned with a cheap toothbrush. It worked fine, and I keep it on hand for future uses, and it has some other applications too.

This is not the same product you're referring to, but the same brand. That's the extent I can comment on it, though, as YMMV completely since that's a different product entirely. Especially their engine flush

Fair enough i was just wondering if someone could share their input on the products contents. Wether or not its safe to use or stay awway

-Spyder

I usually avoid flushes of any kind, on the basis that if the engine is dirty enough to warrant a flush, then I don't want all that stuff coming out all at once and hoping it gets lodged in the filter rather than somewhere else.

And if its not dirty enough for a flush, then I don't want abrasive chemicals stripping away any beneficial lubricating film.

I prefer synthetic oil and shortened OCIs. Something like PYB would work well too. And a little MMO can be added to either to help the process along.

-Spyder

I usually avoid flushes of any kind, on the basis that if the engine is dirty enough to warrant a flush, then I don't want all that stuff coming out all at once and hoping it gets lodged in the filter rather than somewhere else.

And if its not dirty enough for a flush, then I don't want abrasive chemicals stripping away any beneficial lubricating film.

I prefer synthetic oil and shortened OCIs. Something like PYB would work well too. And a little MMO can be added to either to help the process along.

-Spyder

Good enough, about the MMO i would get if it didnt cost so much to ship Steve was kind enough to get it and send it. But it ended up coming to 30 some dollars so i didnt get it. Im basically looking at these products for my friends 2000 cr-v which has around 121,000 miles on it and seem to have some gunk build up under the filler cap. Reason for this is he added Mobil 1 5W30 and it turned dark in just 4 months, so i figured why not try seafoam or this safety kleen valve cleaner/flush

Originally Posted By: CarNewb

-Spyder

Good enough, about the MMO i would get if it didnt cost so much to ship Steve was kind enough to get it and send it. But it ended up coming to 30 some dollars so i didnt get it. Im basically looking at these products for my friends 2000 cr-v which has around 121,000 miles on it and seem to have some gunk build up under the filler cap. Reason for this is he added Mobil 1 5W30 and it turned dark in just 4 months, so i figured why not try seafoam or this safety kleen valve cleaner/flush

I would just do a series of short OCIs (2 or 3) using something like PYB, and keeping them to 3k. This will safely and slowly clean any build up. There may not be anything there though, as gunk (including sludge) may form under the cap, while the engine itself is clean. Likewise, dirty oil may only mean that the oil is doing its job of keeping the engine clean, and is not an indicator of sludge or anything to worry about.

My opinion: you're better off just doing a few short OCIs and avoid the Seafoam or flushing. What you see is no indication of any problem, and such steps are unnecessary when there is no verified indicator of a problem being present.

The only thing I'd consider adding is a PEA fuel system cleaner to a full tank of gas. This is safe and does produce results, particularly if its never seen such a cleaning before.

-Spyder

It is a darn shame you guys in Canada can't get MMO. For an engine that needs some cleaning a 3000 mile OCI with MMO is just the ticket. That plus the fact that it aids in cold weather starting is a real plus for a winter engine cleaning session.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It is a darn shame you guys in Canada can't get MMO.

On the second thought: I don't think I miss MMO at all.

Q.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd miss it, especially in the gas tank and during the winter.

I rationed mine. Some was added to the oil, followed by a few tanks of MMO in the fuel (back to TC-W3 now) and my remaining 8 ounces I'm holding onto until temps get colder, then its getting added to the oil to boost the concentration from 10% to something closer to 15%.

We also can't get Redline Fuel System cleaners here and have a smaller selection of oil filters to pick from. No PU here yet either. Redline oil can only be bought locally by the quart, at a cost of $14 per quart.

One new thing we have locally is a Mobil 1 lube shop that just opened. I do my own OCs but I plan to check them out for any OTC specials on M1 filters and, or, oil. I like where they opened to, as its right across the street from the same outfit that stripped my oil pan and refused to do anything about it.

Another shop also opened on the same short section of road, so there are at least 7 shops within a two block area on the same street: 5 quick lubes and muffler type shops, and 2 traditional service stations. Two of the 7 are new. I'm really hoping the competition thins out the ones who shouldn't be in business, and leads to better quality work and pricing.

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back