Mixing Honda coolant with Prestone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to mix a half to a full quart of concentrate Prestone with Honda Type 2. Both doesn't contain silicate. The reason I ask is that it is impossible for a average car owner to have 50/50 mixture after flushing out the cooling system with water. I have a 40/60 mixture now.

Honda doens't sell pure Type II and their new Extreme Cold additive isn't available outside of the extreme cold region. It cost 14 bucks to ship a small bottle costing 6 bucks.

Last edited:
You probably can mix the two, but then what was the point in going with Honda antifreeze in the first place? 50/50 mixes should never be used in coolant flushes only radiator drain and fill.

At this point you have two choices:
1. Buy two more jugs of Honda antifreeze and drain and fill the radiator with that, this should bring you closer to the 50/50 mix.

2. Buy a jug of Prestone concentrate and do a full flush with distilled water first, then add half the amount of your total cooling system capacity of Prestone concentrate, you will have 50/50 mix right there.

I would certainly not mix, you went through the trouble of flushing already, may as well do it right.

Last edited:
Check out the Nissan dealer. Nissan sells their Blue Antifreeze in a quart bottle. It is super concentrated and meant to be added to systems which are extremely cold, but I know people have does the same thing you did and boosted it up with this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back