Take a survey on dexos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Took the survey. thionk this is one of the dumbest things GM has ever done.

They've always been the 'everyman's' car - nothing fancy needed. Now, they thing they can go upmarket by having a 'specific GM oil'....it's gonna backfire on them...bigtime.

Agree 1000%!

Took the survey and stated that moves like this have made my buying much easier by what brand of vehicle I would not look at. Anything that "Requires" a special oil (like the Honda HTO-06 spec) is something I will never own.

Its amazing that millions of engines make it just fine and all of the sudden we need all these $pecs. Like VW and their 50x.x while I got 394,000 miles using any oil in my VW. One of the reasons why when it came time to buy another vehicle, I passed on VW.

Bill

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Like it or not... "Dexos is required for all GM Buick, Chevrolet, Cadillac and GMC vehicles starting with the 2011 model year."

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001820574.cfm

Extended OCIs on synthetic will be the norm.

Most people are following the OLM with their GM products and passing the 3000 mile mark just fine using ANY NORMAL oil.

So right now extended OCIs on any oil is the norm and has been since the OLM came out over 10 years ago.

What has changed that the 5.3l V8 in a chevy truck that got 7000 miles using the OLM in 2001 and a 2011 one? So the OLM is now going to go off at 20000 miles since the super special Dexos oil is being used?

Can't wait for those threads....
lol.gif

Bill

Not to get too far off topic. But Toyota is doing the same thing with their 0W-20. Its not a new oil spec. But the 0W-20 can only be make with synthetic (Group III, IV) base oils. That's going to drive up the cost of an OC too.

Look at this thread...

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4...ic-0w-20-a.html

Notice in the title... "The future of Motor Oil". I just feel car manufactures have a 10K OCI goal. All manufactures are trying to improve their cars all the time to promote low maintenance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
What has changed that the 5.3l V8 in a chevy truck that got 7000 miles using the OLM in 2001 and a 2011 one? So the OLM is now going to go off at 20000 miles since the super special Dexos oil is being used?

lol.gif

Bill

i'm with bill on this one. i am very curious about how well these cars will do on these very extended OCIs. i am looking forward to pictures, UOAs...

i think extended drain intervals (much longer than we are used to) are the future. the sooner that we use real synthetics (not out of the ground), and use less, the better off the world is. the sooner we do not need the middle east any more, the better.

Like it or not... "Dexos is required for all GM Buick, Chevrolet, Cadillac and GMC vehicles starting with the 2011 model year."

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001820574.cfm

Extended OCIs on synthetic will be the norm.

It's about nothing but making money on the costs of Dexos approval. The vast majority of Government Motors dealers will still buy whatever bulk can be had at the cheapest cost to them. GM policing their dealers to make sure they use only Dexos approved oils? Hardly. They can't keep things strait in the factories much less all the dealers in the USA.

I didn't take the survey but I want to chime in on licensing cost. I think it is a scam and strong arm tactic, aka mafia enforcement, that companies have to get certified by various agencies in order to be validated for us in certain vehicle brand. We all know certain companies such as M1, Val, Amsoil, Penz, etc are good. Does it really matter if they have an extra alphabet on the bottle. That will raise the price and create a leach industries that contribute very little and probably nothing but live off the hard work the motor oil industry on the dime of the American consumers.

I say we have 1 or no more than 2 certification firm that set the standard and as long as oil meet or exceed that then they are good oil. I don't want to be bullied into buying the same oil for much higher price such as those driving the Euro stuffs. People say Euro cars are great and they act like anything from Euro is top notch, including the OCI. The only reason why Euro OCI is high because it cost more to do things there but because their stuffs are better. It is no tougher driving a car in Europe than driving it in the US. I have highway like them and cities like them. They just don't drive as much as us because they can't afford to.

It is bad enough I have to buy coolant and ATF from Honda because it is spec for Honda. I don't want to do the same for motor oil, which is something I use more often than coolant or ATF. What's next, buying tires, filter, gas, and everything from specific brand for specific vehicle. Not thanks. Standardize everything or I'll won't purchase your stuffs.

Rant off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pompadour

lol.gif

Bill

i'm with bill on this one. i am very curious about how well these cars will do on these very extended OCIs. i am looking forward to pictures, UOAs...

i think extended drain intervals (much longer than we are used to) are the future. the sooner that we use real synthetics (not out of the ground), and use less, the better off the world is. the sooner we do not need the middle east any more, the better.

We could conquer them for right way but then all Americans would get a cut instead of just a few cooperation while the American public putting up the cost of war. Only the U.S. rebuild defeat kingdom, no other victor does so in history.

Originally Posted By: jerre310
Amsoil has announced their 5W-30 oil are GF-5, SN, and Dexos1 rated.

I don't doubt for a second that their 5W-30 meets Dexos 1...but where did you read this?

It's not on their website.......

lol.gif

Bill

There will be a huge wave of GM and Toyota owners creating threads here everyday about sludge. Because they got their oil changed (as they always have) with a conventional at a quick lube but they read in their owners manual they can go 10K OCIs. They don't realize GM dexos and Toyota 0W-20 are full synthetics.

They don't realize GM dexos and Toyota 0W-20 are full synthetics.

i know that GM4718M oils have to be "full synthetics". i was not sure, and am still not sure, whether an oil has to be a "full synthetic" to meet dexos-1.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: jerre310
Amsoil has announced their 5W-30 oil are GF-5, SN, and Dexos1 rated.

I don't doubt for a second that their 5W-30 meets Dexos 1...but where did you read this?

It's not on their website.......

+1

If Amsoil was available at regular stores, I would use it simply because they don't let the industries bully them around.

lol.gif

Bill

There will be a huge wave of GM and Toyota owners creating threads here everyday about sludge. Because they got their oil changed (as they always have) with a conventional at a quick lube but they read in their owners manual they can go 10K OCIs. They don't realize GM dexos and Toyota 0W-20 are full synthetics.

I wouldn't trust Toyota oil to go 10k anymore than I trust their black box to tell the truth on my behalf. They didn't tell us they had black box that could and only be used against us in claims. I'll never buy a Toyota new or pre-owned at dealership. That is the fact for what they have done. I am sticking with Honda if I buy from stealership but I am with the buy it used (10 years or older) and keep it forever crowd.

Originally Posted By: pompadour
They don't realize GM dexos and Toyota 0W-20 are full synthetics.

i know that GM4718M oils have to be "full synthetics". i was not sure, and am still not sure, whether an oil has to be a "full synthetic" to meet dexos-1.

No, the ACDelco bulk oil that is to be supplied to dealers is going to be a syn blend.

"As part of the agreement, ExxonMobil will also market General Motors’ new semi-synthetic engine oil, ACDelco dexos1 5W30, to be launched later this year in the U.S. and Canada. "

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/...amp;newsLang=en

Originally Posted By: ABomb369
No, the ACDelco bulk oil that is to be supplied to dealers is going to be a syn blend.

"As part of the agreement, ExxonMobil will also market General Motors’ new semi-synthetic engine oil, ACDelco dexos1 5W30, to be launched later this year in the U.S. and Canada. "

well, that answers that. so, SOME of the dexos1 oils could be cheaper than GM4718M oils. it seems it would depend on what the license fees really cost the end user.

my stash is all GM4718M licensed.

It would be nice if this ACDelco syn-blend would be sold at Walmart like the MC syn-blend but I doubt that will happen. My guess is this ACDelco stuff will sell for less than the premium M1 at the dealerships.

Anyway as long as I can get M1, PP, QSUD, and anybody else who makes the grade at Walmart I don't care. My OCIs per the OLM looks like they will be about every 10 - 12 months so the price of Syn is not a issue for me.

However, I don't plan on buying a product that doesn't carry the license so no Valvoline or Castrol in my future.

I wouldn't use Castrol but I like Valvoline, there is nothing wrong with it. It serves my Corolla well.

how much money is this actually costing the different oil formulators? I have heard 10 cents a gallon or whatever but I mean TOTAL amount of money GM is going to get from this dexos thing. It cant possibly be more than a few million.....right?

Originally Posted By: brave sir robin
how much money is this actually costing the different oil formulators? I have heard 10 cents a gallon or whatever but I mean TOTAL amount of money GM is going to get from this dexos thing. It cant possibly be more than a few million.....right?

It'll be the only few millions they ever make because they're not making it selling cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back