Lifter noise with warm motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
V6 nissan motor 230,000 miles, 6,000 miles oil changes since new w/Mobil 1. I drive 7 states so lots of highway miles.
Interesting point is it cold starts quiet. Once warm when I stop and come back one hour later they click for a couple of miles then quiet.
I added a pint of MMO and ran it 2,500 miles and then changed it to 5-30 Mobil high mileage with another pint of MMO.
It's quieter but what's strange to me is why does it cold start with no noise, but clicks after sitting warm for a while?
Thanks,
JU

Does this happen regardless of where you are within your 6,000 mile oil change interval? What is the minumum amount of down time required before you hear the noise?

what filter? The oil is thinner hot, perhaps at your mileage you might need a thicker oil. I'd try a 0 40 or 5w 40 rotella, and see if it helps.

Have you switched filter brands recently?

I have different noises depending on what filter I am running.
Strange but true.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John Ulrich
V6 nissan motor 230,000 miles, 6,000 miles oil changes since new w/Mobil 1. I drive 7 states so lots of highway miles.
Interesting point is it cold starts quiet. Once warm when I stop and come back one hour later they click for a couple of miles then quiet.
I added a pint of MMO and ran it 2,500 miles and then changed it to 5-30 Mobil high mileage with another pint of MMO.
It's quieter but what's strange to me is why does it cold start with no noise, but clicks after sitting warm for a while?
Thanks,
JU

I bolded a part that I have a feeling many people might miss. The car doesn't always tick when hot; it only ticks after it's been sitting hot and then is re-started, and the ticking goes away after a while.

I think I know why this is happening but I'm not sure, so I'll defer to someone on that for now. My only suggestion is to ditch the MMO. I don't see the point in using it, especially since it'll thin your oil out a bit.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

I bolded a part that I have a feeling many people might miss. The car doesn't always tick when hot; it only ticks after it's been sitting hot and then is re-started, and the ticking goes away after a while.

I used to run 10-40 Mobil 1 high mileage. I mistook the clicking to be a manifold leak from a broke stud (common on this model and I had them 3 times before on an earlier model). The garage set me straight...obvious once I got past that it was not an exhaust leak.
I've been using the MMO to "clean" the lifters if needed to quiet them down(they are quieter) I'll try a better oil filter...I've used Frams forever....million miles+

But the stumper is why the warm start noise vs a cold start?

Last edited:
Try a Nissan oem filter. What kind`ve Nissan do you have? Wonder if the blue "Made In Japan" oem filter will fit your car? That`s what I use.

Things that come readily to mind are differences in filters, or possible filter problem, as has been mentioned, and possibly oil that is too thin as a result of sheer combined with thinning produced by MMO.

Easy solution to address both (assuming either is responsible): pick up a different filter than what you're using now (I personally avoid OCODs and E-cores, but that is by my own preference) and pre-fill it with the same oil you're using now, but one grade thicker (i.e., a 5W30 if you're using a 5W20 now). For this a 1 quart bottle is plenty as you'll have lots left over after you pre-load the filter.

Edit: you can also add more (to thicken more) by starting it up, idling for a couple minutes to let the oil mix, then remove the filter, dump, and refill with the same quart bottle. Or if you don't mind overfilling a bit, empty a quarter to half bottle of it into the crankcase.

-Spyder

Last edited:
230,000 miles there could be some dirt, or engine wear. The MMO isn't going to hurt anything but you could be barking up the wrong tree. If after an oil change and a different filter the problem continues then it could be wear. The fact that it is quiet when the engine is cold could mean that there is some wear, and the thicker cold oil is masking it, or perhaps something is out of adjustment.

I'm not familiar with the insides of a Nissan engine, do they respond to or require a valve adjustment? Even some of the old GM V8 engines with hydraulic lifters (that some said required no adjustment) loosened up and made noise when the engines got older. An oil change and a lifter adjustment quieted some of them down. Many people left them as is and just kept driving.

Thanks for all the responses!
I'll try a different oil filter and go back to the 10-40 high mileage Mobil 1 I had been using.
The "clicking" has been greatly dimished (50% in loudness) since I poured in the MMO three of weeks ago into a sump of 2,500 mile 10-40 Mobil 1 high mileage......apparently some sticking in the lifters has been cleaned out. I'll have 2,000 miles on the current sump of 5-30 high mile Mobil 1 & MMO when I get home from my current two week business trip.

You might just find when you change the oil the MMO worked its magic and cleaned up the lifters. Then when you fill with your favorite oil and filter you might no longer have the noise. If that's the case add a pint of MMO 1000 miles before the next OCI and keep things clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back