Mobil Clean 5w30 bulk VS Mobil Clean 5000 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the difference between these two? I have heard somewhere that the Mobil Clean is only avaliable in bulk. I have a choice of either Mobil Clean 5000 5w30 in quarts or Mobil Clean 5w30 that is in a 100 Gallon tank. So are these two the same? And if not what is the Difference?

My question is this. If Mobil Clean 5000 contains 16% more cleaning additives, then what percentage of sludge does it clean out now? 40% like PYB???

Originally Posted By: Mark72
My question is this. If Mobil Clean 5000 contains 16% more cleaning additives, then what percentage of sludge does it clean out now? 40% like PYB???

crazy2.gif

It really is nice when they throw out perecentage numbers yet give you no real reference points.

The MC5k give you enough CaDTC base to get you to 5K miles. It also has a class leading low volatility basestock. Watch out for the new Pennzoil GF-5 oils though, if the bronze bottle 5w-30 HM GF-5 is any indication - they are killers! Forget aboyt this detergent acrion - igf you run a good oil ITFP there wont be any thing THAT oil would clean up that a fresh fill of THIS oil wouldnt.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The MC5k give you enough CaDTC base to get you to 5K miles. It also has a class leading low volatility basestock. Watch out for the new Pennzoil GF-5 oils though, if the bronze bottle 5w-30 HM GF-5 is any indication - they are killers! Forget aboyt this detergent acrion - igf you run a good oil ITFP there wont be any thing THAT oil would clean up that a fresh fill of THIS oil wouldnt.

Wow, I must be an oil noob. I have no idea what this means. Was that even English?
54.gif

Me too..I'm cornfused...by the way, I really like corn to. LOL
The way he worded that, I'm not sure...Does he mean that PYB is going to blow the other away?

Last edited:
I find it surprising that Mobile 1 admitted to using inferior oil in bulk, compared to smaller retail bottles.
Could you imaginge if the everyday person were told that when they pulled into their quick change place?
"Hi! We are using an inferior grade of oil than you think! Want an air filter, also?"
And if M1 is doing it, I assume others are too!

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I find it surprising that Mobile 1 admitted to using inferior oil in bulk, compared to smaller retail bottles.
Could you imaginge if the everyday person were told that when they pulled into their quick change place?
"Hi! We are using an inferior grade of oil than you think! Want an air filter, also?"

The Mobil Clean and Mobil Clean 5000 are not the same products and meant to be sold to different end users and thus the difference and neither are from the Mobil 1 (not Mobile) product line which is their synthetic line.

How do you think shops do the $19.95 oil changes... using bulk oil that is not the same as OTC oil sold in quarts.

It doesn't mean that the bulk isn't a decent product. It just means you get more when you pay more for the OTC product versus the quick lube bulk.

Last edited:
Quote:
From Mobil.com:
What is different about these three products – Mobil Clean 5000, Mobil Clean 7500 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance – that enables these oils to perform to their specific mileage parameters?
Mobil Clean 5000 has an extra level of cleaning performance, 16 percent more cleaning additive than our conventional oil, Mobil Clean (available only in installed facilities), to help keep your engine cleaner longer.

Mobil Clean 7500 is a synthetic blend formulation with a boosted level of cleaning performance, 27 percent more cleaning additives than Mobil Clean 5000, to keep your engine cleaner longer.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance is our premier product, offering the ultimate in performance and protection due to a unique, fully synthetic formulation which helps to promote long oil life and protect critical engine parts from lubricant-related failures. Mobil 1 Extended Performance also features the Advanced SuperSyn System, which contains 50 percent more SuperSyn than Mobil 1.

Do all oil companies sell "bulk" oil using a different formulation to quick lubes? Is this bulk stuff intended for quick lubes or for other blenders? I always assumed it was the same stuff you purchased on the shelf.

Most oil companies state that if the name is the same the product is the same regardless of packaging. In this case they are not the same. I would also assume that all the big companies have a bulk product line that is slightly cheaper than what we see as OTC products that they sell.

Maybe someone who has more knowledge on bulk oil sales can chime in.

I think I read on here that Mobil DriveClean bulk is also Exxon Superflo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beast3300
I think I read on here that Mobil DriveClean bulk is also Exxon Superflo.

That is the assumption. Clean (bulk) and Superflo appear to be one in the same. Clean 5000 has a little more Calcium and a higher starting TBN according to PQIA. Other than that, Clean (bulk) and Clean 5000 are identical. Use either to 5k with confidence IMO.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Quote:
From Mobil.com:
What is different about these three products – Mobil Clean 5000, Mobil Clean 7500 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance – that enables these oils to perform to their specific mileage parameters?
Mobil Clean 5000 has an extra level of cleaning performance, 16 percent more cleaning additive than our conventional oil, Mobil Clean (available only in installed facilities), to help keep your engine cleaner longer.

Mobil Clean 7500 is a synthetic blend formulation with a boosted level of cleaning performance, 27 percent more cleaning additives than Mobil Clean 5000, to keep your engine cleaner longer.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance is our premier product, offering the ultimate in performance and protection due to a unique, fully synthetic formulation which helps to promote long oil life and protect critical engine parts from lubricant-related failures. Mobil 1 Extended Performance also features the Advanced SuperSyn System, which contains 50 percent more SuperSyn than Mobil 1.

Do all oil companies sell "bulk" oil using a different formulation to quick lubes? Is this bulk stuff intended for quick lubes or for other blenders? I always assumed it was the same stuff you purchased on the shelf.

The only place that I've seen where they take oil off the shelf is Wal-Mart. If you walk into their bay, you will see quarts of oil waiting to be used. I'm only speaking about the location near me. That is why I'm never able to grab ST Dex-VI because they are constantly grabbing them of the shelves.

FYI...I've had plenty of $20 Kendal bulk oil changes with free rotating tires and my engine still ran great. I knew very little before I joined this site but now I KNOW that a great SM rated oil will do me just fine...especially when SN starts there will be really NO NEED for anything else but dino especially in my climate.

Less CA detergent = less engine wear for short OCI.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC

Wow, I must be an oil noob. I have no idea what this means. Was that even English?
54.gif

Sorry - no spell check at hand and rushing to get back to work! I meant that the Bronze bottle Pennzoil HM 5w-30 is working well in our forester. No UOA yet. But fuel mileage is up 2-3mpg avarage to 31MPG. then with typo corrected I said, "Forget about the detergent action - if you run a good oil in the first place, there wont be anything a certain brand X oil would clean up(in your engine)that a fresh fill of Brand Y oil wouldnt." The field will be leveled by the new ILSAC GF-5. If you only buy for detergency by the Calcium base level, you may be missing the basestock quality which is not fully evident in a metal analysis in the VOA. An oil with improved basestock may require less CA dispersant detergent.

Last edited:
Well the plan is to use the bulk 5w30 in a 94' Mercury Sable with a 3.0 12 valve with 194,000. Thinking about a 5K oci but wondering because the motor uses a quart every 1K due to slight leaks and well 194K. So with adding a quart every 1K I am wondering if I could go even longer? But I guess the best thing is to do a UOA.

Right now I am running Mobil Delvac 1300S 15w40 with A Donaldson P554000 filter and have added a qt every 1K with this OCI. SO coming up on 5K on the OCI I have added 5qt's of make up oil. Change it now or later?

Less CA detergent = less engine wear for short OCI.

I agree. Here is something not talked about as much.

We all know about Mobil 1 0w40 being the easily available 229.5 spec for Mercedes.

However, there is a Formula M (not the diesel ESP one easily available), but there is a Formula M also that is 5w40 that is only in bulk that dealers use for gas cars.

This has many less additives in it, with a TBN of 8 instead of M1 0w40 TBN of over 11.

+1 I'm sure it is going on with others also. There are plenty of quick lube places that advertise $19.95 oil change specials with "Brand" name oil as the product. Everything is truly not the same and appearances are deceiving in the land of quick change. It might be better to either bring your own oil and filter or do the OC yourself, if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back