JAguar X-Type fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '03 X-Type Jag which uses a Jatco automatic transmission.

These transmissions are "sealed for life" at the factory (although they do have a drain plug and a fill tube but no dipstick) and empirical evidence is that "life" is something short of 100K miles whereupon the Jag dealer whacks you for about $5K for a new tranny or you find a good used one or you get another car. There is no tranny rebuild information in the Jag technical data on the car. The tranny has no filter but there is a procedure for draining and replacing the "sealed for life" fluid if the car is subject to "severe use".

Problem is, the tranny calls for "JTIS Spec: WSS-M2C922-A1" and I can't find anything that says it meets that spec. The original fluid is Jatco 3100 PL085 which the local dealer will sell you for about $50.00/qt and you need a little over 9 qts so a fluid change costs around $500.00 just for the fluid!!!!! (There is some information that the Jatco fluid is IDEMITSU K17 transmission fluid, equally unavailable on this side of the pond.)

So, the question for all you oil & fluid mavens is: what available fluid meets this spec and is compatible with the original fluid, since complete flushing appears to be just about impossible. I've researched Red Line, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Valvoline, etc. including contacting them by email and on the phone where possible but no one comes right out and says their product meets or exceeds the spec.

So, what's available that meets or exceeds the spec or where can I get Jatco 3100 PL085 or IDEMITSU K17?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I'd like to know this as well. Although I would be hesitant to put anything but the factory fluid in there. Just last week I contacted the dealer to see how much they would charge to change the ATF in my uncle's S-Type. They said something like $600. It kinda blew my mind and the service tecnhician explained to me the same thing you're saying about it being sealed. He said when you fill it, you have to warm it up so the oil expands and gets rid of the air bubbles, then fill up again and heat up several more times.

It's a FORD! My wife's tranny in her 2005 Explorer has no dipstick and "requires" Ford to change the tranny fluid due to "computer readings". But her costs are around $120 at the dealer for a total exchange with Mercon V. $50/quart is insane! There has to be an acceptable substitute. Take the ATF to a shop that can do the service at a reasonable price. $500-$600 is insane for an ATF fluid exchange.

Whimsey

iirc that trans does not take Merc V. when we had a used jag s-type in shop that needed a trans (were a ford dealer) i called jag and they said it was $45 a quart for the fluid. our used car manager said it was crazy, and had our trans tech flush it with merc v. the car didnt make it out of the lot on the first test drive. "i told you so" was real fun to say right then.

Anybody know what the "JTIS Spec: WSS-M2C922-A1" is? Maybe we can compare it to other products if we know what it is.

Or, has anyone changed the fluid in an X-Type and run it for a reasonable distance with something other than the stuff Jag sells??

Another thing that might help, a Jaguar technical bulletin No.JagA100-0004 dated 13 December 2004 states;

"Automatic Transmission Recommended Lubricants
Recommended fluids Esso LT 71141 Shell ATF 3403 M115 Shell M1375.4 MERCON V XT-5-QM ATF IDEMITSU K17(Jatco 3100 PL085)
Model Service Fill Specification Esso LT 71141 Shell ATF 3403 M115 Shell M1375.4 MERCON V XT-5-QM ATF IDEMITSU K17(Jatco 3100 PL085)"

Note that the "IDEMITSU K17(Jatco 3100 PL085)" is specific to the JAtco auto trans used in the X-Type and that there are various other types and suppliers of automatic transmissions used in other jag models that some of these refer to. You can read the whole bulletin at

http://www.wwwboards.auto.ru/jaguar/5301.html

if that helps. Also, anybody got a connection for the IDEMITSU K17 or the Jatco3100 PL085?

I say don't risk it. An auto tranny costs way more. You're gonna have to dish out a few bills but it's every 60k miles, so it's not too bad.

I recently purchased a case of TORCO ATF to flush the tranny on my latest Volvo S60 2005. During my test drive I noticed a big improvement when shifting. For the first time in a few years, I was happy driving my car. After the constant clanging (upshift & downshift)of my 01 Volvo, the price of Torco ATF was no longer a consideration and well worth the 14.25 per quart. This may be one of the best synthetics on the market and covers most applications. Good luck with the Jag.

So did we ever figure out what can be used as ATF in the X type? I have been looking for a nice wagon for my wife and this might be it but I need to do my own maintanance and I want to make sure its not going to be arm and a leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back