Oil Change in my G8 yesterday - w/Pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOGers,

Just wanted to share my Oil Change experience on my Pontiac G8GT from yesterday. Well for starters here's a pic of my OLM on the dashboard:
IMG_2035.jpg

So, I figured it was time to take care of it. I checked my records and the oil was in the sump for just about 10,000 miles. That fill is Mobil 1 5W-30.

Here's what's going to be used:

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

So I decided to use my Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 stash and a AC Delco PF-48 filter. I also bought a filter cap wrench and you can also see I decided to install a Fumoto valve as well. The engine sump is 8.8 quarts so that's why there is so much oil in the pic.

Here's what it looks like underneath my G8, that's why I decided to use the filter cap wrench:

IMG_2040.jpg

btw, the two bronze colored cylinders on either side of the engine are actually the catalytic converters.

Outside of the oil pan bolt being a bit tough to loosen, no real problems.

I was able to get my oil sample which I'll send off for a UOA. I also plan on cutting open the old PF48 to see how things look inside. I'll post pics when I take care of that. One note, the anti-drain back valve defniitely was functioning well. There was a lot of oil that came out of the block as I was unscrewing the old filter.

I think that's about it.

Ed B.

Thanks for posting!

What a joy to have such a huge sump. That and synthetic oil will give you a nice margin of safety for going longer OCIs.

Love that G8 GT! First GM car in a while that has caught my eye as a buyer.

Nice position for a filter! Looks like a very, very easy vehicle to change oil on. I'm jealous. The position of my vehicles' filters lend themselves to a mess. But I just bought a Form-A-Funnel so we'll see if that helps.

Ed - Do you take the car off the ramps to get all the oil out? Where's the crossmember behind the engine? If I had that engine I dont know what I'd run, but it wouldnt be ILSAC GF-4.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
If I had that engine I dont know what I'd run, but it wouldnt be ILSAC GF-4.

Why's that ARCO? Is it because of the high temperature / high shear viscosity limitations of these "energy conserving" oils?

Another GM blunder to produce a quality/desirable vehicle then kill it off...Only GM vehicle other than Corvette to be compared to a BMW for handling. Yeah huge sump is nice.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Another GM blunder to produce a quality/desirable vehicle then kill it off...Only GM vehicle other than Corvette to be compared to a BMW for handling. Yeah huge sump is nice.

I still dont know what the [censored] they were thinking getting rid of Pontiac! BTW nice car Super ed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: typ901

I still dont know what the [censored] they were thinking getting rid of Pontiac! BTW nice car Super ed.

Yes... Sometimes when I'm driving on a few hours trip, I like to count cars coming in the other direction. So, I was counting Mustangs and BMWs (SUV style BMWs don't count) wanting to see "who would win" by having the most cars represented...

I counted 4 BMWs and only 2 Mustangs (that was a shocker!) but I saw at least 50 Pontiacs. What can I say, Pontiacs are VERY popular here. No G8's... lol, but lots and lots of Pontiacs.

I think GM was caught up with the desire to "kill something", and they can't kill Buick because it's a huge seller in China. That G8 will be a collector's item.

The G8 is a car GM needed 15 years ago. It's a [censored] shame that it came out at THE worst possible moment. It's a [censored] of a nice car and for a sedan I can't think of a better bang for the buck. I'll agree with what has already been said, GM was STUPID to can Pontiac!

It's really nice to see that big, beautiful oil pan with an oil filter right where it should be too. I can definitely see a nice used G8 GT or Cadillac CTS-V in my future.
20.gif

excellent choice in oil....that is a big sump. what year are those individual quart bottles from? haven't seen them like that before

Jesus, the filter is just sitting there like that? I'd hate for a rock or big piece of debris to hit that...

My sump is 9.5qt. :)

Originally Posted By: dparm
Jesus, the filter is just sitting there like that? I'd hate for a rock or big piece of debris to hit that...

My sump is 9.5qt. :)

All the older Chevy motor`s had the filter like that didnt they ?
21.gif

That is the the Australian made G8 I think. Top Gear liked it if iirc, if that means anything.

I've had many Pontiacs over the years and like them all.

1983 Pontiac J2000 1.8L
1993 Pontiac TransSport 3.1L
1996 Pontiac Sunbird 3.1L

I still love my GTO.

Does the G8 not have a skid plate? The GTO has a massive steel skid plate under the entire pan. The car is a joy to change the oil on once you get the skid plate out of the way. Also the drain plug is in the front like yours so I end up changing the oil with it just driven onto a 2 x 10 to keep the front end low.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
All the older Chevy motor`s had the filter like that didnt they ?
21.gif

The filter location and the catalytic converters are very reminiscent of the underside of a C6 Corvette.

Originally Posted By: cchase
I still love my GTO.

Does the G8 not have a skid plate? The GTO has a massive steel skid plate under the entire pan. The car is a joy to change the oil on once you get the skid plate out of the way. Also the drain plug is in the front like yours so I end up changing the oil with it just driven onto a 2 x 10 to keep the front end low.

Those GTO`s are Friggin fast I`ll tell you that. I worked at a pontiac dealer around 4 years ago (thats how i know)
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back