lubro moly moS2 update

Status
Not open for further replies.
demar, i LOVE the Moly! I actually wondered about Schaeffers #132, i used the LubroMoly can. And it actually DID start working right away! Perhaps the funkily drained Oil was telling me to get the engine overhauled, maybe something wasnt right. Ill get it checked out as best I can. Did you use Schaeffers #132, or the LM Mos2?

The Moly is good stuf. I STILL remember how the car ran on it. Oh yea!
thumbsup2.gif

Glad you like the moly. I've used Schaeffers #132 as well. It is not loaded with moly however. They used the name Moly for sales and marketing purposes.

It is best known for Sb Antimony, and Pentro which is a friction modifier. A very good product for older engines, some people mix it with MMO or LC20. The LC20 #132 is called Mola-brew on Bitog you can search it if you like. HTH

I posted a UOA in the Diesel UOA forum. It has Lubro-Moly in the title so should be easy to find. I saw some UOAs T-Red posted using Lubro-Moly and he sighted lower Iron numbers. I've used Lubro-Moly in several diesel engine applications on our farm and have not really noticed lower wear numbers or anything but I think there has been a decrease in oil consumption in some cases. The only application I can speak for with certainty is our Claas forage harvester that uses a Mercedes engine. Usually, this far into the season I'd have had to top the oil up a couple times whereas this year I've only had to do that once.

Last edited:
Just picked it up from Napa this morning and poured roughly half a bottle into my 4 quart sump. Noticed on the bottle it said to use at every OC. I may add a quarter bottle as maintenance dose in each future OC. Undecided yet. No initial observations to report as I didn't put many miles on it yet since dosing.

-Spyder

I have about 100 miles accumulated post-LM mos2 treatment. Checked the oil a couple times since adding it and noticed no silver type tint at all on the dipstick. Oil was a little browner than on previous checks, but within the range of color for what I'd expect at this point into a cleaning cycle with the oil I'm using and 10% MMO mixture. Still too early to provide any other feedback.

As the moly count in most of today's oils is pretty low (and almost nil in my current oil), I think (as I give time for the plating effect to occur) this should be a good addition to my OCs. Thinking that after the initial 1/2 can dosing I will continue with a 1/4 can maintenance dose each OC. I have not experienced (at least as of yet) any increase in idle RPM that some have observed.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
I have about 100 miles accumulated post-LM mos2 treatment. Checked the oil a couple times since adding it and noticed no silver type tint at all on the dipstick. Oil was a little browner than on previous checks, but within the range of color for what I'd expect at this point into a cleaning cycle with the oil I'm using and 10% MMO mixture. Still too early to provide any other feedback.

As the moly count in most of today's oils is pretty low (and almost nil in my current oil), I think (as I give time for the plating effect to occur) this should be a good addition to my OCs. Thinking that after the initial 1/2 can dosing I will continue with a 1/4 can maintenance dose each OC. I have not experienced (at least as of yet) any increase in idle RPM that some have observed.

-Spyder

I like your dosing. Your low dosing is part of the reason you havent noticed overtly weird color. You are smart to know it will stay on, and seals well. Mos2 is a great addition, i agree. Has your engine ran super super smooth

Also, the increase in Idle RPM is either a vacuum leak, or if related to Moly may be some displaced muck on piston tops, or something like that.

So weird how Moly counts in Oil stay low.

Mos2 is good stuff. LM2009 at NAPA right

As I previously stated, I ran MOs2 additve for about 2000 miles on my BMW with a smoother engine. I then changed my oil to Lubro Moly 10w40 oil with Mos2. It has been about 2000 miles. The engine runs very smooth especially at idle. No change in idle speed as is computer contrioled. No apparent change in fuel economy. Seem like an excellent product.

Still I am surprised that Lubro Moly products are available in NAPA stores. My local store said Lubro Moly products are popular.

Yep my Napa carries a bunch of German made stuff. Some of their ATF bottles are in German. Of course the Napa I go to is in a really wealthy part of town.
Kind of shocked me when I first started looking at exotic fluids there.

As for the lubro Moly, I added about 3/4 of a can to my Taurus and have driven about 200 miles. It seems to run smoother and is a little bit quieter. The strange thing is that the steering wheel feels like it vibrates less at stop lights.

I went on a 418 mile trip and so far no negatives!!! It may have helped increase the mpgs a bit. Though I changed the engine oil" the same oil as used before" also did a rear end and trans service!!!

Mine came from Napa as well (LM2009). Prior to reading this thread I'd been toying with adding a quart of Redline 5W30 just to up the moly count. This is the better solution though: a better dose of moly than I can get from a quart of RL, cheaper, and it leaves the oil otherwise unchanged.

Still to soon for me to notice any effects, though I'll be surprised if I see any improvement in smoothness or quietness, as over the 11,000 km since buying this car I've already managed to achieve a lot of both. It came with both a noisy engine and lifter chatter, and a cold start problem that usually required two starts for it keep running, a few minutes warm up, and a rough idle throughout. A combination of things eliminated all of that, though if it achieves any more smoothness or quietness it'll just be gravy.

I bought it mainly as an anti-wear additive (the moly goodness in a bottle) and for its potential to help reduce oil consumption, which is already trending downward. I'm already looking at their other products; their Motor Oil Sver will be added after I've achieved as much as I can through other measures while staying in the 30 grade oil recommended for my engine. Also planning on adding their ATF additive when I drain and replace my ATF fluid next summer. I'm pretty impressed by this outfit. Rare to find the real deal like this in a market plagued by snake oil peddlers.

-Spyder

Last edited:
Depending on the micron size of the Moly used in this product and the oil filters ability to filter out micron sized particles, wouldn't the moly just get filter out?

Originally Posted By: FMC
Depending on the micron size of the Moly used in this product and the oil filters ability to filter out micron sized particles, wouldn't the moly just get filter out?

This was discussed before, either in this thread or the mos2 thread in the VOA section. The consensus was that the moly particles are too small for even a high efficiency filter to trap.

When you consider that moly is present already in many oils (though not necessarily the same chemical version as the mos2 moly), and that in designing filter efficiency the additives must be taken into account within the context of the filter not being so efficient that it filters those out, it makes sense.

-Spyder

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Originally Posted By: FMC

This was discussed before, either in this thread or the mos2 thread in the VOA section. The consensus was that the moly particles are too small for even a high efficiency filter to trap.

When you consider that moly is present already in many oils (though not necessarily the same chemical version as the mos2 moly), and that in designing filter efficiency the additives must be taken into account within the context of the filter not being so efficient that it filters those out, it makes sense.

-Spyder

Thanks Spyder, I did find the topic.

This was posted on the last page of that thread by NOSTRADAMUS.....

Here we go...I emailed the company about the size of the mos2 particles:

thank you very much for your mail, dtd. 28th July 2010 and for your interest in Lubro Moly products.

The size of the MoS2 particles is between 0,2 and 0,5 µm. A pore of an oil filter has normal a size of 35 µm and so more than the most of the MoS2 particles are more than 100 times smaller as an oil filter pore.

If you have any more question, contact us again!

With best regards from Ulm/Germany

i.A.
Dietmar Schmid

LIQUI MOLY GmbH
Anwendungstechnik/Application Engineering
Jerg-Wieland-Straße 4
D-89081 Ulm-Lehr

Lubro Moly is far from an oil burning reducer product.

But if it makes the rings move like they should in their lands, there may be an incidental effect on compression and oil use.
Nice perq if you can get it!

BTW guys, remember that Lubro Moly also has a good amount of BORON in it. This highly regarded additive is a very good thing in our oil.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

But if it makes the rings move like they should in their lands, there may be an incidental effect on compression and oil use.

BTW guys, remember that Lubro Moly also has a good amount of BORON in it. This highly regarded additive is a very good thing in our oil.

+1 It seems to be catching on here. I found a local NAPA guy that has no problem ordering it for me, for a little under $4 a bottle. It is certainly not an over inflated additive, it seems to be a big bang for the buck!

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

I only consider its potential effect on my own consumption from a theoretical perspective: my burn off is linked to the rings sticking, if mos2 aids in anyway in them freeing up, my consumption should reduce somewhat. But it was its other properties and benefits that attracted me to it; any reduction in oil consumption is incidental, and in tackling that from a few different angles, I'll never know (assuming it drops) whether mos2 factored in or not.

The same company puts out a product that is compatible with mos2, specifically for burn off or leaks, called Motor Oil Saver. I'm still tracking consumption and like to space additive dosing a bit (to have a better idea of what's doing what), but I will likely wind up using that product as well at some point further along.

-Spyder

I'm thinking that MoS2 can reduce consumption by possibly filling tiny scratches and voids on the cyl walls. It stopped my mower from smoking on start up for two full seasons now. Others have reported reduced oil consumption as well. I would think that the oil use might resume if the MoS2 is discontinued for a few OCI's, because any residual coating that is filling the voids would probably wash out. Just my thoughts.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm thinking that MoS2 can reduce consumption by possibly filling tiny scratches and voids on the cyl walls. It stopped my mower from smoking on start up for two full seasons now. Others have reported reduced oil consumption as well. I would think that the oil use might resume if the MoS2 is discontinued for a few OCI's, because any residual coating that is filling the voids would probably wash out. Just my thoughts.

The more I read and learn about oil and additives, the more I question the many things taken for granted as "fact." In older engines like my Toyota or your Aerostar, API SM did not exist and different standards were called for (mine is SJ rated).

Of course, every SM oil (or oil before it) was back spec'd to meet or exceed the requirements of the previous API standards; yet the additives have changed, as have the amounts allowed in the different specs. In SJ oil moly was common, while in SM oils the limit is pretty low, and if you look at the additives in SM rated oils, you'll find in many cases no moly at all, or when you do, small amounts.

But that's okay say the "authorities" on this subject, because we are told that whatever they're using instead is at least as good or better.

Same thing with ZDDP. Too much is poison to the cat, yet my SJ rated engine allows for more ZDDP than any SM rated PCMO. And I can get more from an SJ rated HDEO (which many are), along with more moly too. But not at the same sale prices I find my PCMO oil at, so I'd wind up paying about double.

And keeping in mind that these SJ API rated HDEO oils are used on half million dollar pieces of equipment (where the API spec has no relevance) that see far heavier duty use than my car, I really wonder more and more about the new and improved spec. Better, sure - but for who.

I personally have been beginning to think my car would be better served by something with an additive package closer to the SJ spec it was designed to run on. Ideally an HDEO, but with the price difference, I'm willing to experiment with quality additives to change the oil I have now into something resembling closer to an SJ additive package. I'll keep the better quality base oils from this PCMO, but my reservations about tinkering with it are slowly going out the window.

It already has more moly (thanks to mos2) and I think that's a good thing. Next up is to boost the ZDDP with the right additive. After that and Motor Oil Saver go in, I'll have my own personally formulated HM & HDEO style PCMO.

People will think I'm nuts, but I don't care. I think my car will be better off for it.

Those who are terrified of additives or believe whatever PCMO oil they buy is pre-blended to perfection and shouldn't be messed with can voice their condemnation to my deaf ears.

-Spyder

Interesting comments. My take is oil is blended to a price point, and IMO oil company profits come before quality. If a cheaper additive can be used in place of another additive which might not be as good but an extra few pennies profit can be made, my guess is they'll use it.

If you are looking for a good ZDDP additive to tweak your oil with look at RL Break In Oil Additive. It can be added to oil to boost ZDDP levels. It might be worth your time to check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back