SAE30 in OHV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new craftsman professional self propelled with the 7.75 OHV briggs. I have always used either rotella or briggs 30W in the old flathead 5hp briggs on my old murray. Is this still a good choice for the OHV engines? Would 5w30 synthetic be better, or maybe RTS 5w40?

They'd probably all be fine. Some 5W30s could be a little too light if they're "thin 30s" formulated for fuel economy. An OPE engine running in high heat might eat them for breakfast and you'll get oil consumption.

Put dino 15W40 HDEO on your list too. I don't think the extra $$ on syn HDEO would necessarily do anything for you unless you just want to baby it. There's also the VII-free syn Amsoil ASE SAE30 formulation for OPE.

Last edited:
Briggs recommends a synthetic 5w30 for all temperatures. We however used straight SAE30 here at work and that works great too, it doesn't get cold enough here to get starting issues. However, I have a 6 year old Briggs at home and I used my last bottle of Royal Purple 5w30 in it. It starts up fast and easy and runs quiet and smooth at full temperature.

YS_MaintenanceChangeOilWeightChart_v1.ashx

I have enough 30W for three oil changes so I will just keep using it. The manufacturers recommendation is for 30w above 40 degrees anyways, and since the grass don't grow in the winter a multi-vis is not needed I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back