The curse of Pennzoil continues to be handed down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in my local machinist's shop picking up some parts when a fellow of about 30 walked in. We struck up a conversation and he asked what caused the engine to fail in my newly purchased 2500 Chevy truck. I told him it was full of sludge.
Without missing a beat he said"The guy you got it from used Pennzoil. They put wax in their oil" Usually, I am not at a loss for words but this time all I culd do is smile. This is like some spooky legend that is being passed down from generation to generation. I know we southern rednecks have poor english but this guy kept saying eh,eh,eh at the end of a sentence. Maybe a shortbus rider? This dude was really,really big and my gun was in the truck so I did not take him to task on the "wax" that Pennzoil puts in their oil. Will the legend ever die?

Last edited:
Must be some rough country down there if a mundane topic like that needs to be settled at gun point
wink.gif

-Spyder

It's not just down here... I've seen it get ugly enough on this site that violence would ensue if it were possible. Over motor oil of all things.

I'd call it The Curse of Stupid. It exists in all things I've learned, not only oil.

Two of the best mechanics I have come across in two different states have made this comment. My uncle who lives in Ohio has been a master mechanic, owns his own shop for 40+ years.

He asked me what oil I put in my saturn. I told him quaker state. He told me not to buy it, due to wax buildup, and that he has seen motors taken apart with wax in them due to quaker state.

He recommended castrol motor oil or Mobil 1.

Another friend of my family, who lives here said don't use quaker state, only use Castrol. This is a guy with 30+ years experience working in a shop.

Good mechanics don't necessarily know about lubricants, and I bet they have not ever done a UOA on anything.

I use to let things like this bother me, then I remembered three things my Dad use to say;

1. Consider the source

2. My mama did a better job of raising me

3. Think before you speak

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Why cares, and maybe that's what keeps the Pennzoil prices down, so these guys are doing us a favor.

+1

Maybe it will help keep the price down on the Quaker State oil that I use too.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Why cares, and maybe that's what keeps the Pennzoil prices down, so these guys are doing us a favor.

+1

Maybe it will help keep the price down on the Quaker State oil that I use too.

Hmmm. . . . Then I hereby proclaim, "MobilClean 5000 has high fructose corn syrup in it and will make your engine sludge badly. Don't use it!"

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd call it The Curse of Stupid. It exists in all things I've learned, not only oil.

Even the best mechanic can't fix stupid.

John

Boy you sure are right with that idea. As said alot: you cannot fix stupid.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
Twenty years from now it will be Dexcool.

Dexcool already si the worst coolant in history. Look how many engines it has corroded!

No Orange antifreezes for my cars. EVER!

27.gif

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Two of the best mechanics I have come across in two different states have made this comment. My uncle who lives in Ohio has been a master mechanic, owns his own shop for 40+ years.

He asked me what oil I put in my saturn. I told him quaker state. He told me not to buy it, due to wax buildup, and that he has seen motors taken apart with wax in them due to quaker state.

He recommended castrol motor oil or Mobil 1.

Another friend of my family, who lives here said don't use quaker state, only use Castrol. This is a guy with 30+ years experience working in a shop.

Good mechanics don't necessarily know about lubricants, and I bet they have not ever done a UOA on anything.

I thought those Guy`s recommend Valvoline !!
thumbsup2.gif
grin2.gif

Well put. It seems like the less information people have on a subject, the more deeply-seated their belief. These folk tales and myths are almost impossible to kill. My father, for example, violently refuses to accept that no historical proof exists that King Arthur was a real person. He was the literary creation of Geoffrey of Monmouth, or perhaps early poetry. Yes, it's an inspiring and powerful legend. No, it's not based on reality.

Tell him Yankee Candle Company uses higher quality wax. He should melt down some candles...makes the exhaust smell good too.

Don't worry about them. They probably have no idea that Quaker State / Pennzoil was bought out by Shell and their oils were changed a long time ago.

And now you guys are making me want a gun lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back