Best product to un-clog an Oil Pump Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your screen was clogged you would have very low oil pressure.
Your symptom is a noise in coming from the top of the engine?
I doubt thats anything to do with a dirty oil pickup.
You say you have water pump issues, that may be the source of your noise.

My screen was a little dirty when I got the Jeep. Oil pressure was fine at idle, hot or cold, and acceptable all the time. However, it was a bit slow to rise, and didn't rise as much as I thought it should with higher RPMs. I drained the oil, poured a pint of B12 and a quart of MMO in the sump, let it soak for 10 mins, drained it, rinsed it out with some oil to get the sump clean, and filled it back up. Problem solved. It has no trouble getting the pump into relief now.

Originally Posted By: cronk
If your screen was clogged you would have very low oil pressure.
Quote:

Seems i dont have a clogged screen then!
thumbsup2.gif

Your symptom is a noise in coming from the top of the engine?

Correct, slightly noticed, as if something was underfilled.

I doubt thats anything to do with a dirty oil pickup.
You say you have water pump issues, that may be the source of your noise.

Will check that out.

Originally Posted By: Kira[/quote
Whats MMO

MMO stands for "Marvel Mystery Oil." Its a good thing to have in engines at 20% or less, and some say it helps and helps clean and some say its not needed. Its quite the debate!
thumbsup2.gif

HDEO = High Detergent, Extended Operation?
54.gif

EDIT: HDEO = Rotella T/T5/Delo.
thumbsup2.gif

Sorry, missed the rest of the questions.
93 Prelude Si, 2.3L, 150,000 miles. It overheated while I was running a Fram filter (unknown to me cracked radiator). The oil filter decided to puke all of it's media into my oil, first clogging the pickup screen. It starved the engine of oil, and we never did stop finding paper in it. I finally sold it with the oil light on for $900.

I did actually use Frams after that, until visiting BITOG (why???) Even the (very trustworthy) mechanic who pulled the oil pan and cleaned things up for me said not to use Fram filters, back in 2003. Folks had suggested I go after Fram for a motor, but it had overheated, complicating matters.

Good luck on the abused Probe.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
yep, best product for a plugged screen is an air rachet!
That is cold!!! I like the answer

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: bradepb
yep, best product for a plugged screen is an air rachet!
That is cold!!! I like the answer

Hey, sounds true though
lol.gif

Well, my Oil pressure was normal, not low, so its not that. More likely caused by failing Water Pump, engine was always a little hot but never overheated. Ill pull the Thermostat out and see if Gasket material is there, that will tell me what I need to know.
thumbsup2.gif

Im also just going to use the method one poster posted, of adding enough B12 for 10-15 minutes, then letting it out (enough to cover "Oil Pump") and then using new Oil to clean that out, then back to normal. Dont want to mess up my engine, it got cleaned somewhat, so aside from being tempted to ARX it (causes problems, ARX?) - I should be good.
thumbsup2.gif

I had a beater 1983 Ramcharger with a 318 with over 250K miles. It was super ratty and the motor was tired.

One day the thing started to run like [censored]. The lifters started chattering bad at idle but smoothed out with RPM's. No oil PSI on the gauge.

I drained the oil and then refilled it with a few qrts of diesel. I didnt start it. Just let the sump soak in it for a wile. did that a few times until the diesel came out clean. Refilled the thing with normal oil and started it up. Oil PSI came up and it ran for another year till a fuel line broke above the tank out of state and i abandoned it there.

The way I corrected a clogged pickup on my truck was I bought a container of Berryman's parts cleaner and poured it in the engine and let it sit overnight. I drained it the next morning, then went and filled a 5 quart oil jug with diesel fuel. I poured it in the engine with the drain plug in. I removed the drain plug to drain it into a pan. I poured the diesel fuel through a paint strainer and a funnel with a strainer back into the jug to remove the contaminants. I did this I guess about 20 times until it was clear. My oil pressure has never been better. That was my backyard solution to a clogged pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back