ATF and power steering hose interchangeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
they look the same, feel the same, smell the same. but the label print on the hose are not the same. and store like AAP or Napa list them as separate product. but i also know some cars readily take ATF as P.S fluid. so, are they interchangeable? thanks.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
I would say yes so long as it is the return hose and not the pressure hose.

+1

thanks a lot!

call local part store for ATF hose, and parts guy told me the i can use fuel hose for ATF/steering
21.gif
(at the return line no pressure..)
is this true?

Don't ever take advice from a register ringer at a parts store or dealer.

You can NOT use fuel hose for ATF/steering. You can't even use it for fuel injection. Fuel hose is for gravity, vacuum, or extremely low pressure fed fuel systems, not to be confused with fuel-injection hose.

ATF/PSF are hydraulic pressure lines. To be safe, you want to make sure it can take the abuse for your application. So, using ATF hose on the low-pressure side of PSF is usually OK. Smokey says to prevent under hood fires, use the correct hose for the application.

Regular fuel line is kinda lame.
Fuel injection rated hose is very common at parts stores, and take high pressure for auto trannys and fuel systems.

But this is not good enough for PS systems!

NO its not true.Fuel hose regardless of FI or just vanilla degrades when subjected to high percent of oil.Some of the older plain jane stuff even degrades with alcohol fuels.

ATF and PS hose is oil resistant and can be used safely for the PS return.ATF marked hose usually have a higher pressure rating because some cars use them on the pressure and return side of the transmission.
The pressure side of the PS must use special very high pressure hose with fittings.

Originally Posted By: Trav
NO its not true.Fuel hose regardless of FI or just vanilla degrades when subjected to high percent of oil.Some of the older plain jane stuff even degrades with alcohol fuels.

ATF and PS hose is oil resistant and can be used safely for the PS return.ATF marked hose usually have a higher pressure rating because some cars use them on the pressure and return side of the transmission.
The pressure side of the PS must use special very high pressure hose with fittings.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back