5w-20 or 5w-30 in 06 Jeep 5.7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

I am purchasing a 06 Jeep commander with the 5.7 liter in it. The oil cap calls for 5w-20, but from what I've read, albeit not much so far, has been that 5w-20 is just something manufacturers recommend to meet CAFE standards. What are your recommendations? If I recall correctly a buddy of mine ran 5w-30 in his Fusion he had on lease even though it called for 5w-20.

Thanks in advance.

PS. Also, if anyone wants to throw in a oil recommendation or two I won't complain. I would prefer to run a sythentic.

PP 5w20...stay with what the manufacture recommends.

For longer OCI's....Mobil 5w20EP

CAFE is "great," but those trucks still have/had to make it thru their warranties on warranty approved oils. I'd run motorcraft 5w20 or M1 products if looking for longer drains as posted above.

The answer hinges on whether your Hemi has MDS.

If it does, you will want to use a 5W-20 or at least a very thin 5W-30 (Edge, Syntec, Havoline DS) to make sure the system functions properly.

If it does not, you can use pretty well what you want, with the understanding that drastically thicker oils (40-weights) may reduce MPG's and make the engine 'sluggish'.

Being that you live in PA and winter is coming use the 5w20 (being it calls for it). You could use either but no reason to push the 30 weight. If you want to, run the 30 weight in the summer.

I believe the vehicle I am purchasing is equipped with MDS. So 20 it is. Any recommendations on this weight that I will get some good bang for my buck? This bad boy takes 7 quarts in the crank case. These are going to be some pricey oil changes.

I was thinking about buying the $20 package or whatever it is through Amsoil and start using their stuff for the Hemi, and my Gl1800. My Subaru uses oil, so I'm not going to through money away with oil in that thing.

MC semi 5w20, 12 bucks for 5 qts at WM and a good reputation. I really like the QS HP in my blazer i believe it is 18 dollars for 5 qts. Also i was checking out M1 website and there new data sheets look pretty good. Maybe look at them. They must have changed the formulas because there data sheets look a bit better than before.

What about running a 0w-20 in this for better fuel economy? Also, I was on Amazon the other day and came across Eneos brand oil. I can't seem to find any info if it is as good as it claims to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back