Tires - 27" x 1 1/4"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still on the old late 80's Raleigh, riding about 15 miles a day.

Tires. I need tires. Problem is, there's not a lot of selection for me to choose from. I'm on the late 80's tires that the bike came with, as they even say "Raleigh" on the sidewall.

I like what I see with the Vittoria Zaffiro, but they are pretty much unobtainium everywhere I look... Must be a good tire at a good price.

I don't know how much longer I'm going to ride this one, so I'd like to keep it to $20 per tire or less.

And unless there's no reason not to, I'm going to replace the tubes as well. The old ones hold air just fine... but they are 20 years old.

why wouldnt you keep riding the bike? If it is still going well, just lube it up and keep going!

Id shop online for better options, 27" is an odd size (my father has a bike from the late 1970s in that size), but the mainline bike shops online are your best shot...

you want to stay under $20 but are complaining about the selection?
most all bike shops will carry at least one model in that size; up until the '90s it was THE typical road bike size.
my local shop has 2 27" models, a basic bontrager/trek repair tire, and they also have a high end Continental touring tire.
if the tubs are holding air, why replace them? a tube only needs to do one thing and yours are doing it. a tube only blows out if the tire fails.

Actually, a lot of the selection IS under $20 per tire... that may sound like a blessing, but that's a lot of the problem. Much of it is from China (like Cheng Shin)...

I need some advice on what to look for in a tire. Or am I making this too difficult?

I don't believe I want a Kenda or a Cheng Shin tire... but I'm not sure what a quality tire is... Vittoria, Bontrager, Schwalbe...?

Here's a good selection:

http://www.bicycletires.com/27zz/27in_road_tires/products.htm

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Tires. I need tires.
And unless there's no reason not to, I'm going to replace the tubes as well.

Don't neglect your Friendly Local Bike Shop - they can be an excellent resource especially when you have an older superior lugged steel bike. Wholeheartedly recommend you replace the tires, brake pads & tubes with fresh rubber.

Loved my 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix and was sad to have it destroyed in a wreck with a car 2 years ago, right when I had a set of collapsible panniers on it as a reliable commuter. That HHR took a serious beating, but the bike and I took a worse one. I was fortunate to walk away from that one, as I have from each of the three times I've been hit by a car.

Please wear a helmet & gloves every single time you get on the bike or let anyone use it. Please.

Just happened to be driving by a local bicycle store, so I stopped to see what they had as far as tires.

Ended up a little disappointed, all that they carried in my size was a cheap Cheng Shin gumwall. I think I'd rather have something a little better than that on my bike. Plus, I would prefer NOT having a gunwall tire.

However, what really caught my attention was that they had a used Raleigh very much like mine. It was the same color as mine, but a few years older. Mine is a 21" inch frame, this one was a 23". Plus, mine is in much better condition as it has never sat outside. This used one was rusty everywhere that there wasn't paint. But, it had a brand new pair of the previously mentioned Cheng Shins, new tubes, what appeared to be a newer rear wheel, and re-wrapped handlebars.

What made me feel really good was that they were asking $199 for it. They'll probably get $150 for it, but mine is in a lot better shape, and I think my 21" frame would be a better fit for a greater number of riders.

So maybe my old Raleigh isn't so bad after all... considering that it was given to me.

Go online and get tires. I only retired my 70s Windsor era bike in 2005. I bought a newer Motobecane. The Windsor had the same size tires your looking for.

Keep riding it my friend.

Hi,
mrsilv04 - OT - The Raleigh brand has a special significance for me. Around Jan 1954 my Father took me to meet Reg. Harris who was the Raleigh professional World Champion and World Recordholder over 200m and 1km. He was touring NZ at the time

At 14 I listened intently to all I was told and shown. We spent a couple of days together at a velodrome at Timaru in NZ. Reg. had a huge influence on my career - highlights of which I became NZ's fastest cyclist,competed at the World Champs twice (Milan '62 & Liege '63), road in the Grand Prix series in Europe and equalled the World record (200m) in Copenhagen in 1963

For me at least the name Raleigh will always shine very brightly indeed. Thanks Reg.!

I was able to find a pair at my local Wal-Mart. I couldn't believe it - 27x1.25 tires for $15 each! Both tires and tubes replaced for $40 - good for many more miles than i'll probably put on them. And they're solid black too, no gum walls.

The bike that they went on is a mid 80's model Centurion Elite GT 15-spd. It is an entry/mid level touring bike, complete with back rack and bags.

Quite a bit different than the standard 80's 10-speed - this one looks/feels like it's actually made for touring/long haul. Great bike and well worth putting 40-bucks into. Cables, chain, sprockets, etc. - everything else was in great shape, but then it was stored indoors too.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I wish I had seen this post sooner, I'm an avid cyclist. I've got a late 80's Raleigh Touring bike (fully lugged), made in Japan by Bridgestone for Raleigh Corp.

Anyways, I'm running Club Roost knobby 27" tires.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=1745
or
http://www.calhouncycle.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=103

The Panaracer Paselas are pretty good, but if you want a bike tire that won't wear out anytime soon, or get nearly any flats in an urban environment, go for Schwalbe. Highest quality there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back