My car beat up a PureOne

Status
Not open for further replies.
problem solved guys!! it was, without a doubt, caused by coolant getting into the engine. here are the lower intake manifold gaskets i just removed from the car...

100_4448.jpg

all 4 coolant passages are blown

Last edited:
Glad you found it. Can't blame the filter, good call to all the members who called a coolant leak!

So much for the usual collection waiting to blame the Pure One/Purolator construction for the issue. Considering what is now known, the P1 held up darn well IMO.

Was going to say this sooner but now is a better time. For those saying 'oh if this had been an ecore'.....yada, yada, yada. I would like to see how an ecore design with felt endcaps and open nylon cage would have held up to the coolant leak. My bet is likely similar to webfors(sp) posts with a huge hole or holes, blown in the media. And, I'm not nearly as adamant against ecore as some, having used the ST #3614 before with no issues. But, since many were speculating about the P1's construction being at fault, just sayin.

And as for any Honeywell design with fiber/cardboard endcaps, one can only imagine the distortion of not only the media, but the 'engineered media' endcaps as well. All in all, another example of why I'll take the Classic oil filter design with metal endcaps, my choice being Purolator.

To the OP, sorry you had an issue, glad you found it. And, thanks for the follow up pics confirming the real problem. It apppears the folks pointing to the LIM gaskets, not the filter, based on what it did to the P1, were right on. Kudos to those folks.

i too would like to have seen an e-core in this situation, just not on my car... as some people know, with my engine, its not a matter of if those gaskets go, its a when. and from what ive read on grand prix forums, those gaskets actually look very good for 106,000 miles. most people have them replaced by 70-80,000 miles.

now next time someone looks at me like im crazy when they hear i cut open all my oil filters, ill have this story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: finalyzd
Guess I'm cutting mine open now. Does a wavy/warped media really mean anything? Poor quality in materials?

IMO, not really. The media got larger and had no where to go so it bulged out and warped. It might also have something to do with cutting the filter open while it is still warm as opposed to cutting it open when it is cold. I know that sounds funny, but hot oil could warp the pleats. If you wait to cut it open until the filter is cold, the pleats might straighten out again.

I have seen some of my filters do that. I can't remember the brand at the time since I use many different brands: Whatever I get on sale or rebate. I cut the filters open while they are still warm.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Glad you found it. Can't blame the filter, good call to all the members who called a coolant leak!

We called CL months ago when he posted his first wavy filter.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
All in all, another example of why I'll take the Classic oil filter design with metal endcaps, my choice being Purolator.

thumbsup2.gif
... yes, many other filters probably wouldn't have held up nearly as well under the same conditions. Metal end caps and center cages all the way for my cars.

Originally Posted By: Jakegday
and thank you for that!

NP glad you got nailed down.

just make sure you use the right gaskets,,get the Fel-pro perma-dry steel base gaskets,AAP has them.

Jakegday: So glad you found the problem. Nothing worse than NOT finding the chicken when the eggs are hitting you left and right ( : < )!

Yeah, good call on the coolant leak, all you guys.

This is one to remember. I've never seen coolant do that to a filter, so this was a valuable thing to file away for future use. Another good reason to keep cutting apart filters.

Jakegday, if you hadn't been doing that, you might not have found the problem before engine damage was done, so you get the "Mr Preventative Maintenance Award" for the day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
You don't possibly have a coolant leak that is causing the media to swell do you?
Now THAT was a good catch!

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
You don't possibly have a coolant leak that is causing the media to swell do you?
Now THAT was a good catch!

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Jakegday
nope, no metal gaskets here. especially after reading this post
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=6798371&postcount=20
the fel-pro plastic gaskets are a huge improvement over stock anyways

lol...so your posting on one guy's so called experience??? my good man you realize how many of these i've done using the fel-pros steel base gaskets not GM? the Fel-pro's have a coating to prevent this PLUS if the job is done correctly and surfaces are cleaned you'll have no problems,this is funny because not once have i seen what he described,maybe a little...pitting in the alum intake side from the previouse leakage but that was to be expected and cannot be avoided when working with alum.

and further more none of the steel base ever touches the alum head/intake the rubber around the ports are thicker and holds it up off the surface even when torqued.

i've never had a come back with Fel-pros and G05 and i've done my own personal cars and vans/truck and that was 3+ years ago and many many miles.

yeah, i guess i am. that guy is one of the most respected members on that site, and has been a mechanic almost longer then ive been alive. he has always given GREAT advice, and not once given me bad advice.

with that in mind, i didnt hesitate to use them. besides, their cheaper. i'd feel kinda dumb buying the more expensive part, then the next day having some kid pull out in front of me and totalling my car, or some other kind of freak accident i'd have no control over

Last edited:
Mind you i'm not calling anyone a lier, but....i too been doing this for a wile and i've yet to experience anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back