Scariest Movie Ever???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another vote for "The Exorcist", I saw it at a drive-in theater (!) and remember ducking my head behind the front seat not to see the scariest parts. Well, i was 10 yrs. old at the time:p.

Slightly OT- William Peter Blatty also wrote a book called "Legions", which is the most frightening book I've ever read--Stephen King and Edgar Allan Poe included.

Like any movie, the ERA or TIME it was produced makes a diffference.
At the time, the Excorcist and the Wild Bunch were over the top. But both are ther tame by today's standards and our increased numbness and desensitivity.

So, in it's time frame, 'Last House on the Left' [original] really disturbed me.
I was innocently unaware that such things were real.

Another vote for 'Alien'
I first saw it at the late show when I was 8-years old.
Talk about scaring the (you know what) out of me - especially at that age. My uncle, my cousin, and I went to see it. He knew it would be scary, but not that intense! Great movie - though I wouldn't recommend it for children.

I'm not a big fan of horror flicks but Silence of Lambs was particularly scary because it was a semi-plausible set of events.

I had lived in Hawaii as a kid. When we moved to Seattle a few years later Jaws came out. I was afraid to swim in the lakes. The Exorcist and Omen movies were good as well.

As someone mentioned, "Wait Until Dark" with Audrey Hepburn (1967) remains still the classic for hand-clenching suspense. However, "Jaws" and "Jurassic Park" both left lingering fears with me -- "Jaws" the sharp points of the shark's teeth and the surface of water; "Park," the sound of the raptors as they hunted. (The night after I saw "Park," I woke, sitting bolt upright, from a nightmare of hearing the breathing/purring sound of the velociraptors in my ear. Turned out it was my Maine Coon cat, curled up on the pillow as usual.)

"The Exorcist" -- yes; the sounds alone give you chills (and I don't mean the language of the possessed girl).

Oh, and the original "Cape Fear," with Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum. Brrr.

As a kid, I enjoyed "invisible Invaders," which was made on the cheap, I'm sure -- it's harder to think much cheaper than villains you can't see -- but it seemed at least somewhat original. usually in horror films the monster is destroyed by fire or nuclear blast or something. In "Invaders," they were destroyed or driven off by sound waves. (I think. Anybody seen it?)

By all means... give the more recent "Descent" a viewing. Especially if you like females in distress.

It's not a genre I typically pursue, but this film was rather excellent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back