G11 vs G12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. So there are three types. Blue g11, g12 red, and g12 purple. Purple can mix with all, but you can not mix the other two. What's in the g11 and g12? Is it silicate and borate free?

From what I can gather G11 is a silicated non-OAT. G12 is an OAT kind of similar to dexcool but probably has a diferent OAT inhibitor type. I think it might have gave VW and whoever else problems and I don't think it gets used much. VW and others are now using G12++ which is a silicated HOAT.

The Europeans seem to like the silicates and have so many different coolant types it's ridiculous. What any of these other types offered over and above old G-05, I'm not sure.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

The Europeans seem to like the silicates and have so many different coolant types it's ridiculous. What any of these other types offered over and above old G-05, I'm not sure.

When I did the timing belt on my Jetta, I did a complete flush to remove the remnants of G11 and replaced it with G-05. Not that I think anything is particularly "wrong" with G11/12, but that G-05 is a bit easier to buy and quite a bit less expensive. What prompted my change? I needed to do the TB change on a Sunday and I'd forgotten my gallon of fancy purple stuff at my other place about 2 hours drive away. The local Autozone had some G-05 so I decided it was easier to switch than to waste 4 hours r/t driving. :)

Yeah G11 sure doesn't seem like it's anything special or that long life. And G12 seemed to give problems like dexcool did. G12++ I think is suppose to be the new darling. But I sure don't know what real difference there is between G12++ and G-05 besides higher cost and less availability lol.

As far as I can tell, the safe and readily available choices in extended life anti-freeze for anything besides a very late model GM is either G-05 or Peak Global. G-05 is probably more readily available and proven.

According to the MSDS the new G12++ contains 2-ethylhexanoic acid so it's just a lilac colored dex-cool in a sense.

G12 pink used disodium tetraborate or borax as a cleaner and stabilizer salt.

The pink is being phased out and the lilac dex-cool is the new version.

Seems to me they went backwards if 2-EHA is so bad.

It makes G-05 look all the better.

Last edited:
I can't even keep the Euro coolants straight. Some material suggests that G11 is G48 which is a silicated 2EHA, but that doesn't make sense sense G11 is suppose to be incompatible with other OAT coolant and G11 seems to predate 2EHA's use. I am pretty sure that G48 contains 2EHA though. G12 is straight OAT with I think sebacic. G12++ is silicated HOAT with sebacic. Your information seems to differ from that though.

It's certainly confusing. G12++ is low silicate, no mention of sebacic acid in the MSDS as a harmful additive, only 2EHA.

The chart says glycol is < 75% and 2EHA is
G12 pink is ethane-1,2-diol at 75-100% with
Got me swinging other then to say the last formula on paper sounds better then the latest formula from BASF.

Course the fact VW/Audi does not use plastic intakes or in gaskets, maybe 2EHA has no effect.
The manifolds are aluminum, water pumps are metal.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I can't even keep the Euro coolants straight. Some material suggests that G11 is G48 which is a silicated 2EHA, but that doesn't make sense sense G11 is suppose to be incompatible with other OAT coolant and G11 seems to predate 2EHA's use. I am pretty sure that G48 contains 2EHA though. G12 is straight OAT with I think sebacic. G12++ is silicated HOAT with sebacic. Your information seems to differ from that though.

Die old european "classic Green" is die VW G11 (G48 from Glysantin, TL 774 C)
BMW loves it, other manufacturer switchet to silicate-free cooling fluids..
VW with G12 (TL 774 D) had also a "DEX-COOL Desaster".
If you mix G11 with G12 this will happen:

https://www.transalp.de/forum/beitraege/technik/wasserpumpe/?no_cache=1&tx_mmforum_pi1[page]=1
(Use google translate to translate this to english)
(The corroded rotor of the pump is a good example of what happens when the cooling liquid has never been changed.)

The G12+ (TL 774 F) and G12++ (TL 774 G) and the new G13 (TL 774 J) are mixable with older Liquids.

Product line of glysantin
https://www.mas-ft.de/kuehlmittel/
(german lang.)

I use the G12+ from Glysantin (G30) for my Car (Seat Alhambra) and my Motorcycle (Honda Transalp 600)
The SEAT had originally G11 inside and that was written on the compensation tank.
I switched to G30 and wrote this on the compensation tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back