Boss Lubricants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay boys, I need your expertise and your opinions. There's a local oil supplier, called Boss Lubricants.

(non-sponsor links removed; MOD)

I have zero idea on the prices. I was just curious about your opinions on some of the specs. Anything catch your eye as an exceptionally good oil? Anything stand out as garbage?

If there's enough interest, perhaps I could pick something up and do a VOA.

Last edited by a moderator:
My apologies for posting non-sponsor links. I know better, but I guess my coffee didn't kick in quickly enough. In any case, it's very easy to find on Google, and they have all kinds of tech specs for their products in pdf format.

I looked them over via Google; seem sound and perhaps worth a try? They might be an unknown diamond in the rough.

Always nice to fish in a differnt pond once in a while ...

Last edited:
I like their specs on Boss Blue Ram oil...looks pretty good.
Are we allowed to post PDF's? (been doing it for a few years, but always nice to check back in with the mods).
thumbsup2.gif

I apologize if I created confusion on this. There are black and white decisions; those are easy. It's the shades of grey that get reviewed from time to time; charcoal grey, smoke grey, etc. You are always welcome to PM me with questions, as some have. Frankly, I may have err'd; I tend to be cautious at times.

For clarity at this point, the direct links to technical data certainly are fine to publically post and review. (I did remove the initial main page links because there is some intent of sales and services promotion.)

Please feel free to continue discussing and using the direct links to the tech data.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
For clarity at this point, the direct links to technical data certainly are fine to publically post and review. (I did remove the initial main page links because there is some intent of sales and services promotion.)

No confusion created. The rules are fair. In any case, those who find the site will have absolutely no problem finding the technical data. That is one thing that's nice about their site. The sheets are easy to find for all products.

I brought it up out of interest. I know there are users here who live for this sort of thing - a rare product with plenty of sheets to look over. It's kind of like me salivating over a PureOne which I can never obtain.
wink.gif

Perhaps when I go there, I should have them look at BITOG and consider sponsoring, if that isn't too forward. There are plenty of Canadian users here and Boss doesn't advertise heavily up here. Considering I've run a multi-million mile fleet, did the maintenance myself, and knew nothing about them, I'm sure there's plenty of growth potential for them.

I've learned more about the varied products available and other people's approaches to maintenance in the few years lurking and couple months posting here than I did running a fleet, believe it or not. The fleet taught me confidence in my methods and products. BITOG taught me there's more than one way to skin a cat and verified my methods and product choices.

The only reason I knew Boss even existed was that their office is located near my house and just down the street from my propane fueling station from my cab driving days. I drove by them the other day on my quest for an Audi alternator adjuster and that brought them into my head.

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
I like their specs on Boss Blue Ram oil...looks pretty good.

I do, too. However, it's a base Group II. What are your thoughts on that? TBN is high, and I imagine ZDDP will be plenty high enough for my Ford 300. Boss Extreme looks okay, thought the TBN is nowhere near that of Blue Ram.

What are your thoughts on the EXQ Plus series? They have good numbers and range from 15w-40 to 5w-30. HDEO in 5w-30 isn't terribly common.

Their synthetic diesel engine oil is recommended for long drain intervals.

Well, here's the scoop, with respect to price, at least for me. I can get the EXQ Plus from one of my suppliers for $40 for a 20 litre pail. Yes, you read that right. Rotella 15w-40 from Walmart in the same size is $67.95. The EXQ Plus is on sale right now, and is normally about $5 or so more.

I believe it's time for a purchase! That sounds like a screaming deal (I always have to stop and convert to Eng units for it to have sensible terms for me ...).

Here's the EXQ:http: HDEO in 5w-30, 10w-30 and 15w-40. For that price? Outstanding. Certainly worth a try.
http://myclients.ca/customers/bosslubric...GINE%20OILS.pdf

I for one would love to see you venture out and run some, then do a UOA. There are plenty of Canadian Bitogers that could benefit.

We all do, after all, live vicariously through the UOAs of others!
56.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I believe it's time for a purchase! That sounds like a screaming deal (I always have to stop and convert to Eng units for it to have sensible terms for me ...)

Yup, I think it's time for a purchase. When I spoke to my supplier, he said that a lot of people are kind of wary of Boss Lubricants, because of the price. It gets this reputation as a cheapie lube, but, for the most part, its sheets don't indicate that. It's probably one of those cases where a cheap price frightens someone away if he's not inclined to see what the specs actually are.

I'm sure it's synthetics aren't going to compete with Amsoil on a 25,000 mi OCI attempt. At first glance though, their products are going to beat the tar out of everything in my neck of the woods when it comes to price.

I may have to try a VOA and UOA and see how it goes. If I do pick some up, I'll have to take a picture of my oil stash, though, too. It's not getting any smaller.
wink.gif

I just picked up two pails of their 0w40 for a 6.0L PSD. I'll post UOA's when the interval is up.

Originally Posted By: Ven
I just picked up two pails of their 0w40 for a 6.0L PSD. I'll post UOA's when the interval is up.

Do tell. I still have more than enough oil that I don't need to add to my stash yet. The price is definitely right. My supplier can get me anything from them, but he's more interested in selling me RP lately.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Ven

Do tell. I still have more than enough oil that I don't need to add to my stash yet. The price is definitely right. My supplier can get me anything from them, but he's more interested in selling me RP lately.
wink.gif

Same with Coop 0W40 DMO SL...price is right with an excellent basestock and still CI4+ for all interested. Not much Boss in my neck of the woods that is easy to find.

hello Garak, I use XD3 or Blue Ram Boss, 14 TBN. Great thing about Boss in conventional oils they still carry about 6 HDEOs in CI-4/SL. What I learned of Boss too is they have air mix additives into oil which from what I hear is more consistant in admixing.

I was informed by the Boss tech that Blue Ram's very high TBN of 14 that one might want to be carefull using it on an old engine, I would suggest not doing a LONG OCI using Blue Ram of first OCI if that is case, prior to my using Boss I was using XD3 with TBN of 12 so did not effect my older Cummins much.

I will say that for some reason I found a bit more oil consumption with Blue Ram in both my diesel and 87 Nissan gas engines, dont know why.

I bought 250 litrs of 0-30 XD3 and 250 litres of 0-40 XD3 recently at 65% off at UFA this spring on big sell off when UFA gave Esso the big boot so I dont use Boss much anymore, had it not been for that deal I would still use it.

D-roc, you tried Boss oil out?

Cyprs

Originally Posted By: Cyprs
hello Garak, I use XD3 or Blue Ram Boss, 14 TBN. Great thing about Boss in conventional oils they still carry about 6 HDEOs in CI-4/SL. What I learned of Boss too is they have air mix additives into oil which from what I hear is more consistant in admixing.

That's definitely a substantial TBN! I may have to try some once I get rid of what's already in my stock. The prices are certainly right.

Yeah, around $3.50 per litre here, comparible to XD3 conv oil.

The Boss Tech told me the EXQ is probably equal to XD3, EXQ pretty much took over the older BOSS line of BXHD.

the Boss Tech also said the basestock in conventional HDEOs is better than most competitors, that is a bias opinion ofcourse.

Cyprs

Garak, also Boss has great deals on synthetic ATF etc, lost of selection to meet almost any need there took, most ATF and Dif oils etc are bulk quantities in 5 gallon pails. Boss supplies to a lot of industrial clients, I understand they also hit the market in north west America too.

Cyprs

Originally Posted By: Cyprs

I was informed by the Boss tech that Blue Ram's very high TBN of 14 that one might want to be carefull using it on an old engine, I would suggest not doing a LONG OCI using Blue Ram of first OCI if that is case, prior to my using Boss I was using XD3 with TBN of 12 so did not effect my older Cummins much.

I will say that for some reason I found a bit more oil consumption with Blue Ram in both my diesel and 87 Nissan gas engines, dont know why.

I bought 250 litrs of 0-30 XD3 and 250 litres of 0-40 XD3 recently at 65% off at UFA this spring on big sell off when UFA gave Esso the big boot so I dont use Boss much anymore, had it not been for that deal I would still use it.

D-roc, you tried Boss oil out?

Cyprs

I sourced it in my area, and it's not really price viable for me. Good score on the XD3 sell out- wish I could have found something like that!
I'm using up some Delvac 1 ESP I have had for a while in my 98 Cummins, and still running Amsoil AME (almost 27000 km's) in my 06. I'm going to stick with AME in the 98 when D1 is ready for a drain (which could be a while :!)

Hello D-roc,

I got my 0-30 XD3 (Polar Plus) for 1.90 per litre and the 0-40 for about $2.10 per liter. I also got 80 litres of Mobil 1 0-40 SM for $3.00 per litre. Just in right place at right time, I went in for 1) 20 litre pail of 0-30 and paid $100.00 for it. I started shooting the [censored] with UFA sales guy and he told me he figured it was coming on sale soon. I figure it would probably be the 15% off sale for rural spring seeding sale, but I told him to phone me when he got a sale price, he did, 65% off. After I got my XD3 deal and loaded up truck, the guy says: "so what do you think of Mobil 1 0-40." again, 65% off.

I helped out family and friends, all totaled I bought about 2000 litres Polar Plus, my local UFA had oil coming from UFAs all over. I also got a lot of Mobil 1. I had to move real fast on this, snap decision as I was not the only guy after this oil.

In my gas engines I mix 50/50 Mobil 1 and XD3, both oils made by Esso, the 0-40 SM Mobil 1 is better pour point which will help this winter, -54 Mobil, -45 XD3 0-30. Both oils are group 1V, both made by Mobil, My X-trail loves this blend, it takes my zddp down from 1500 to a comfortable 1300 for a gasser, still a good solid ad pack for a gasser, stick to 10 Litres XD3 0-40 in diesel blended with 2 litres of Boss Blue Ram.. The Blue Ram has an amazing -40 pour point for a 15-40 conv. HDEO.

Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back