PYB 10W-40 - any problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently running a stable of 3 different motorbikes. One Suzuki 1250 Bandit, one Suzuki 650 v-strom, and a Kymco XCiting 250 scooter. All three bikes have recommendations for 10W-40 oil. The Kymco does not have a wet clutch, so I have been using whatever appeals to me when I'm oil shopping, mostly along the lines of 15W-40 diesel oil but I've tried some Castrol Edge last OCI. Both Suzukis have wet clutches, so I have been more careful about the oils, and have been running Shell Rotella 15W-40 or 5W-40 synth. I've not been very impressed with the Rotella synth formula, shifting is OK but I've had a lot better in the past (different bikes). I like to get the synthetic versions if I can.

About a week ago I was in the store checking out the automotive supplies and spied out Penzzoil yellow bottle, 10W-40, non-energy conserving. The price is almost too good to be true, and was thinking seriously about trying it out. Was just wondering if any of you here have tried it, and did you like it or have any problems with it?

Vic

Both Suzuki engines are pretty easy on oil, historically, so I can't imagine why the PYB 10-40 wouldn't work well.

At the Maximum-Suzuki forum there is one guy in particular who likes to razz us oil-snobs with tales of running pretty much whatever he has lying around in his GSXR - he has around 60,000 miles on it, if memory serves.
21.gif

The 10-40 PYB is not made to handle the heat and shearing in those wet clutch systems, and does not have enough ZDDP anti wear additives. A HDEO in 15w40 would work much better and be as cheap or even cheaper.

I would never use a non-motorcycle 10W-40. It just isn't "strong" enough oil. Either a motorcycle specific 10W-40 or a diesel engine oil are more robust.

Another V-Strom rider here. 5W-40 works great in those bikes.

Dunno about it not working well. Sent a sample of Suzuki branded MC specific 10-40 oil out for a VOA last year, and the numbers came back rather ho-hum. I can't imagine PYB being much weaker than that..
21.gif

I know we're oil geeks here, but I still think we go overboard sometimes.
27.gif

But a UOA would be much more revealing than a VOA. That VOA looks at fresh oil and its additives. Most PCMO oil in a shared sump system, and especially on air cooled engines breaks down or shears much more than more robust shear stable oils.

I would agree with sticking with at least an HD oil like Rotella T 15W40. Several people have mentioned that Rotella T6 5W40 did not shift as well. Are they getting better results with the 15W40?

The service manual for the Ninja 500R recommends oil that is SL 10W40 and Jaso MA. SL is not usually high ZDDP. That is in the supplement that was last update in 2003 for '03 to ~'09. So it's quite possible had they update the supplement after '05 they would've even recommend SM. I've also noticed that garden variety motorcycle oils have a high NOACK and look like regular 10W40 with maybe a little extra ZDDP. they appear to have a lot of VI improvers and may not be anymore shear stable than regular 10W40. Then of course there are the HM 10W40s.

I've wondered about the HM 10-40's, but was a little leery, didn't know if there might be some negative effects on motorcycle engine or clutch from the extra sealers and conditioners in the oil.

Vic

High mileage oils aren't any worse that regular auto oil, and may well be better as a 'cycle' oil.
HM oils have extra additives and are usually on the thicker side of the range.
Most cycles made before the MFGs started selling 'branded' oil, called for auto oil 10W-40.
(Japanese cycles).
Still, HDEO is clearly better in cycles than the run of the mill auto oil. I don't think its any more expensive either.
Rotella, for one, is quit reasonable at Wal-mart.

My 2¢

I have a bandit 1250 as well....I have over 20,000 miles on it and have used HDEO's since 600 miles..Most of those miles, about 17 to 18,000 miles were on Rotella 15W40 which is what I'm currently using...The other miles were on Delvac 15W40...I usually change it at about 2,300 to 2,500 miles...Personally, I'd feel more comfortable with an HDEO than conventional car oil..It would probably be fine, but those oils do tend to lose viscosity pretty fast...So if you did use it it you might have to keep your OCI pretty short...

I've got waaaay too many machines to be fanatical nor obsessed. Find a good oil (15W40 HDEO for instance) and ride with confidence. It's a lot easier than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back