Mix G-05 (Yellow) and regular Prestone (Green)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtb

Will there be any adverse effects if I mix these two coolants? I have 4 qts of the Prestone and about 1-2 quarts of the G-05. The final mixture would be 4 quarts of the Prestone and less than 1 quart of the G-05.

Both say they can be mixed with any other coolant.

Thanks.

I don't like to mix coolants. If it was orignal Green they would be very similar formulas. But Prestone Green is dexclone. I know it says it mixes with everything, but I wouldn't do it. I'd either use the Prestone or G-05 straight.

If you read in info on the labels, they probably both meet some of the same specs. At least on paper it's probably ok to mix them, though the service life will revert to the shorter of the two.

But in practice, I wouldn't do it. I've seen way too many nasty/dirty/corroded cooling systems with mixed coolant. Did they turn nasty because coolants were mixed? Or did somebody just use any ol' coolant to top off a nasty/leaky cooling system? I really have no way of knowing... but coolant is relatively cheap and easy to change, unlike radiators and head gaskets. So I would stick with one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back