Ford Mustang 4.0 V6 oil and filter suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What brought me to this forum was my search for the 'right' oil and filter to use on my new 2010 Mustang 4.0 V6. I know there is no "best" answer, but I find myself second-guessing every decision I come up with! Being that I work for an auto parts store and can get just about ANY oil or filter at a great discount only seems to make things worse!

I have a co-worker who SWEARS by Amsoil, and he uses it in his turbocharged SRT Neon, but he used Royal Purple in his Dakota R/T. He's our Amsoil "spokesmodel" (as we jokingly call him) because he recommends it to everyone.

As of now, I'm running the factory recommended Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W-30 in the car with a Motorcraft filter. But, of course Ford recommends Motorcraft oil and filters...since that's what their dealers sell!

I'm still on the fence as far as synthetic oils are concerned...I used Mobil 1 in my 1995 SHO Taurus for years, but switched to conventional 5W-30 in later years and saw no ill effects from it whatsoever. The car went to it's grave with around 130,000 miles on it, and the oil was always changed at or around 3000 miles regardless of whether it had the synthetic or conventional oil in it.

The owner of the company that I work for says you can use ANY oil if you're going to change it that often, and that tends to be my thinking as well.

But, naturally, a new car IS a big investment, and I want this one to last a LONG time, so I'm openly seeking your advice and input as to what you feel is 'right' for this vehicle, and why??

Thanks in advance for your help!! :)

In regard to a synthetic, you can't go wrong with Pennzoil Platinum; it is a well regarded oil on this forum. In fact, I am currently running Pennzoil Ultra, but if I can't find it at Wally-world on my next change(as some have posted), I will without hesitation use Platinum. It has a nice add-pack all for a good price. I have used Castrol Edge, but my consumption was higher and it is more expensive than the Pennzoil. I will leave the filter recommendation to my fellow BITOG members as I am not a good source of info on those. Enjoy your mustang
19.gif
and
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Last edited:
motorcraft oil and filter will only cost around 16 bucks at walmart and is the best bang for your buck

I believe this is the same engine that is in my 2010 Ranger. I've so far used the factory fill, yellow bottle Pennzoil 5w30 and Rotella T6 synthetic 5w40. The FF and PYB were fine but the truck clearly seems smoother with the Rotella. This is the only Ford engine left that specs something thicker than 5w20 which is why I tried this, this engine obviously is not made for the thin stuff. I'm not gonna pour 10w60 or anything in there, but a 40 weight just seems ideal. Not the recommended grade for warranty however, but not hard to work around that little annoyance if you're clever
wink.gif

If you're not comfortable with that, the 5w30 PYB seemed fine too, just a little noisier. I just have a feeling thicker (to a point, thick 30 to 40 max) is better for this motor backed up by it being the only Ford engine not speced or back speced to 5w20.

GC 0w30 might be another great option to keep warranty intact, it is a 30 grade but basically the thickest a 30 can be before falling into the 40wt bracket.

And other than the factory filter, which appeared totally different, the only filters I have used on this truck are dealership Motorcraft, I believe FL-820s. Bought the first one just because I was there, kept buying because (in Canada) I feel the 7+change for this filter is a good deal. South of the border would be a huge ripoff I know, but thats just how it is here.

And great motor BTW, it rips in my truck (for a truck) so it should move your stang pretty good. It may not be a V8 but it aint slow in my truck so it sure wont be slow in your car.

Enjoy it, sounds like a nice ride!

I think its hard to beat the Ford Motorcraft Oil and Filters. Good oil and filters for the money. Its about $20 for oil and filter at the major big box store. Both have had good reports on this forum with reasonable OCIs. It won't affect your warranty either should you run into any issues.

I still have 4 Explorers with this engine. I have used virtually every OTC oil plus Torco and Amsoil in at least one of the vehicles. Same for OTC filters. I even am trying M1 5W-40 in 1 vehicle that spends extra time in the desert.

The engines run fine on every oil/filter I have tried. On some combinations in certain temps you might hear a very slight noise at start up, but that goes away in a second. I think it might just be the way the engine is (chains?), but mine have 80,000 to well over 150,00 miles on them so it might just be the mileage.

If I had to choose one combo, it would be Motorcraft for availability, price and quality.

The magazines were not kind to the motor as it is long in tooth and a tad rough compared to the newer designs. Still it gets the job done with no muss or fuss. I am happy with the 4.0

Congratulations on your Mustang and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back