Fuel Filler Hose Help--extra hose inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
A simple job to replace the fuel filler hose on my motorhome (approx 4' by 2" ID) has come grinding to a halt. The motorhome is on a Chevy van chassis with a 454 V8 year 2000 (maybe 1999 for chassis). Anyway, when I pulled the filler hose off the neck there is another hose maybe 1" or so diameter inside. I tried pulling the filler neck and smaller hose out of the big hose but is wouldn't give, must be connected at the tank, so.... What to do? My replacement hose does not have the internal hose as it is a generic hose. My Haynes manual does not indicate the internal hose, but is for vans, not motorhome chassis.

Can this work without the internal hose?

How is the internal hose hooked up at each end, hard to tell as bigger hose won't pull back enough to get a good look.

Am about to run it into the shop.

Any help appreciated, thanks, Paul

It will be a pain in your rear without the internal hose. The internal hose is what actually carries the gas into the tank. The larger outer hose is what lets the air back out of the tank to let the gas in. I Have a flatbed that the filler necks were modified to fit and they removed the inner pipe out of the filler necks. ITS A MAJOR pain in my rear to fuel.

Oh, ha ha, in my excitement I forgot to state the problem. The hose is torn through at the lip of the tank flange and leaking pretty much all the time, just enough not to make a puddle, but to make a lot of fuel odor under the motorhome and inside--not good.

So Dualie, how does it go without the inner hose?
Does it fill very slow?
Does it kick back all the time?
Is there some special baffle in he tank that is the problem? How do you remove the inner hose?

I don't get why a 2" ID hose would not let air back out while filling. It works on my other vehicles.

Would make sense if the inner hose just stuck into the tank opening, then you could slide it down the big tube but somehow it seems to be connected in the tank, because I could not pull it out of the big hose (pulling on the filler neck which I removed from the vehicle).

Anyway, thanks so far. I am calling my mechanic in the am to see what he knows.

Unless you spoon feed the gas in there SUPER SLOW, to the point i actually know what pumps at what gas stations are the slower ones it will puke fuel back at you about 20+ times a fill up.

Being a welder/iron worker by trade having pants covered in gasoline isn't the best thing.

i can assure you that your other vehicles have the same arrangements inside their filler hoses.

On my real cab and chassis trucks they have had a clinch collar coupler half way down the filler tube that you could undo to pull the filler out for body mounting. cop

Last edited:
Thanks Dualie. My mechanic said you gotta keep the inner hose. Says there are different ways of venting a tank. He said if I want to do it without the inner tube, I could be standing there 2 hours filling it. Working as a pump jockey as a kid I had a leg full of gasoline once, does not feel good. BTW, I would never stand in front of the filler when filling the tank, I had one that did not shut off and the gasoline blew out pretty forceably, just to shut it off it got all over my sleeve.

Anyway, I'm taking it in to the shop. It is too much hassle, may have to drop the tank to get the hose on the tank flange properly. I just don't have the time. I have a new outer hose and my shop says they can reuse the inner hose.

when spoon feeding a poorly venting tank, you got no choice but to baby sit the nozzle.

You can also add a rollover safety vent to the top of the tank and a small 1/2" vent hose to the outside of the filler neck that comes back in right in front of the fuel filler cap.

I am suprised that GM would spend the money for such a setup as a hose inside a hose. If the fuel can go down a smaller hose (maybe it's 1.25") why have the 2"ID hose? That is very expensive for a vent. Oh well, stuck with it. I'll take it in, there is some other maintenance that likely should be done at 28,000 miles, like checking the brakes.

it's not just the money for the part, it's also the money for assembly.

I'm sure the hose within a hose makes it easier/cheaper to install the entire fuel tank. May help with warranty claims as well.

One thing I cannot explain is the variance from vehicle to vehicle.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I'm sure the hose within a hose makes it easier/cheaper to install the entire fuel tank.
Ah yes, same story for front wheel drive installing engine tranny drive train as single bolt in unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back