Motorcraft 5w-20 - 5800 miles - 08 Mazda3 2.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first UOA I've gotten on my wife's 2008 Mazda3 with the 2.3 liter engine and 5 speed manual transmission. The analyses I've gotten on my Civic have always been influenced by the makeup oil I've added, but this car doesn't need any so I wanted to get a UOA with TBN to confirm that I don't need to be getting nervous over 5k miles. The manual recommends 5000 mile OCIs for severe service and 7500 for normal. On my Honda (which gets similar driving patterns) the OLM puts me conservatively at 6000-6500 miles and it looks like that's valid for this car too (again, conservatively).

Here's another boring Motorcraft UOA:

Mazda1.png

Another good showing for the MC 5w20!!!
thumbsup2.gif

I am anxious to see UOA's on the "Other" line of Conoco/Phillips products such as the Kendal LT flavors as well.

Thank you, I have been curious about the MotorCraft 5w20 myself, after seeing this analysis I would go for it for sure. great wear #'s and good addy pack. The only thing I wouldn't do is go past 6K miles. B-Stone says to push it to 8K. I like to have a little buffer in my TBN and would stick to 6K. Besides that, pretty dang good for an oil that doesn't break the bank!

Originally Posted By: FZ1
5,000 max. Your warranty.

Warranty allows 6 months or 7500 miles.

Yawn ..7500 ..your OEM recommendations for an obviously, verified with UOA ..unstressed oil.

Is this the semi-syn. (sold at WM and elsewhere) or the full syn. which was closed out at AA?

This is the plain old semi-syn.

As Critic pointed out and I did in the OP the manufacturer recommendation allowed for up to 7500 miles. I rotate tires with oil changes anyway so most likely I'm not going to be going much above 6500 miles or so on either car regardless (unless I end up switching to synthetics and doubling the OCI or something which is possible once the car is out of warranty).

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Severe service oci is 5,000. Be smart with your warranty.

This isn't severe service.

..and...while you're here...

How's the waste oil futures market doing, FZ1? Business booming?
grin2.gif

Going further on synthetic is also "allowed" by your warranty. The warranty covers defects anyway, how is an oil-related failure a defect of the engine?

If people wanted to worry about warranty they should find another site and save their money on UOAs. Even within SUGGESTED OCIs your warranty does not stand to NON-DEFECT related failures.

The warranty issue is not an issue, get real.

Originally Posted By: pcfxer
Going further on synthetic is also "allowed" by your warranty. The warranty covers defects anyway, how is an oil-related failure a defect of the engine?

If people wanted to worry about warranty they should find another site and save their money on UOAs. Even within SUGGESTED OCIs your warranty does not stand to NON-DEFECT related failures.

The warranty issue is not an issue, get real.
It is simply avoiding any proplems.

Nice results. I'm running this in the Honda now, and PZ Ultra in the 3. Same engine/transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back