05 Vibe RLI 0W30 (7 month OCI for 3800 miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous oil was GC; replaced with RLI 0W30 on January 7; sampled i.e. NOT drained on August 7th.

I know it is easy to say a passenger car experiences severe service but I think this one does qualify.

For most of the year (including an Ontario winter) it is short tripped M to F i.e. 1.5 miles to a train station parking lot, sits all day then returned home in the evening. So coolant let alone oil rarely gets up to operating temp. I know HWY miles would help on the weekend but this is not likely to happen.

This sample was drawn using a hand pump. I wasn't going to drain and fill until I got back the analysis (Dyson).

[Probably a 10 to 15 minute HWY run was done prior to sampling so likely the fuel dilution # shown here is (very?) understated given the driving routine experienced by this car.]

Will do a full drain today or tomorrow with Toyota 0W20.

VibeRLI0W30.jpg

Last edited:
For your driving conditions I think the numbers look very good. TBN is a little low but with the formulation they use on this oil, who knows if that really means anything.

Is this the only time you have ever used this oil and will you try it again? Maybe their 0W or 5W-20.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Is this the only time you have ever used this oil and will you try it again? Maybe their 0W or 5W-20.

Johnny, this was my first time using RLI. I think I would have gone with this RLI 0W30 again or maybe even its 0W20 but I wasn't sure when I would get my supply and as you can see this oil was really used up. I think I sampled at just the right time.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
How come you got rid of GC, did you not like the report?

Mike, I have done several runs of GC. In fact I have used GC more than any other oil for this car. The UOAs have been just fine but I was interested in trying a (much) lighter oil and for sure RLI is an interesting concept.

Last edited:
Try the RLI 20wt it's golden and did very well with my fuel dilution problem as my UOA posted in this section confirms.

Numbers aren't bad considering the severe service in terms of short trips.
BTW, a 10 to 15 minute low speed highway run still qualifies as a short trip in my book. Knowing from past experience that this car is subject to fuel dilution, sampling after a much longer run such as the hour drive from Hamilton which you do would have been better.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Try the RLI 20wt it's golden and did very well with my fuel dilution problem as my UOA posted in this section confirms.

Yup. As others have said "use this oil with confidence". Clearly the RLI line protects engines very well but as I indicated I wasnt sure how soon I could obtain more RLI (remember I gave you my last jug Stevie
48.gif
?). And the Toyota 0W20 should be no slouch. Heck it isnt an Enzo or Caterham so the Toyota 0W20 GRP III should be fine. Although is there anyone here who uses 0W20 in an 05 1ZZFE spec'd only for 5W30? Maybe I am the FIRST
wink.gif

21 If you want to buy some RLI maybe we can do a big order through Don in Bolton and split it to save on cost. ?!?

Let me know...

Steve
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: cp3
does the Vibe have the GM OLM?

Oh I do wish it did. I would have loved to see what the OLM reading would have been after this 7 month OCI given our driving routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back