They Call it "Lucas" Oil Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought id ask about the old famous Lucas Oil -STABILIZER,- from SOPUS Products, Plano, TX. Man, that stuff looks like some Thick, Straight-50 SYRUP! I think is was here on BITOG that they found it "Suffocates" the Anti-Foaming part of Oil? I never used it even Before that, but i wouldnt DARE put that in this BMW my Sis has! Shes all "Well put stuff in the Oil to protect it!"

I said "No." ...................

I wonder, what DOES this stuff do? (Except maybe make the Oil in there not work. or possible work better?)

This seems to be the place to ask! Ive Spun what Display Wheel MANY times, thinking, "There is No Part of an Engine that looks like this."

Lucas makes it not Shell oil company. Check the oil additive section it has been covered many times. Most people here don't like it, and see no valve in using it, except in a problem oil burner, knocker, someone is trying to unload.

Originally Posted By: Maritime Storm
Check out the MSDS, all it is is 80wt oil & soap.

That Certainly explains a lot! It basically "Blows Bubbles" when it gets thin. i will save my money from now on.

I also saw the Oil Additive section as well. No way that is going in the BMW.

Thanks!

As far as I know, it's a completely useless product that has actually been sold to a person or 2 somehow.

I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.

I see it as.....if an oil needed the stuff in it, oil manufactures would already put it in their oil. I have read many many times that SRT4 owners with absolutely no knowledge of oil like to substitute 1 quart of lucas with 1 quart of the Xw50 they are using in the spec'd for 5w30 engine. makes me cringe.

Last edited:
"I thought id ask about the old famous Lucas Oil -STABILIZER,- from SOPUS Products, Plano, TX"

IT IS NOT MADE BY SOPUS, which is Shell Oil Products, US.

SOPUS makes Slick-50. Lucas makes Lucas.

There have been many VOAs done here with samples of Lucas. It's basically an oil thickener and little else.

You're not supposed to huff it.
33.gif

Quote:
it doesnt say permanent fix dummies and oh yeah oil pressure went up with bad bearings thats proof right there it says increases oil pressure plus stopped the knocking i doubt seriously lucas is going to tell you all here the formula so you can scam them i doubt a single one of you here could tell me whats in it Can You?

We did tell you what's in it in the Oil Additives section.

Anytime you thicken an oil in an engine with low oil pressure the oil pressure will go up.

Read more of the science here on lubrication and use some punctuation so we can decipher what you are staying.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hemi426
Buy STP instead. At least it has some phosphorous and zinc in it.

I read about muscle car owners using STP to beef up SM rated oils.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I read about muscle car owners using STP to beef up SM rated oils.

I can understand people with flat tappet engines not wanting to use something with too little ZDDP. Fine. I don't, however, see the desire to adulterate a quality product with an additive for anything except break in. For my Ford 300, I used Crane Cams break in lube because i wanted to use a run of the mill 10w-30 for break in.

Aside from that, most vintage muscle cars are going to be used in the summer. Further, they tend not to be terribly fussy, and can use a thicker oil without a hiccup. There are loads of HDEOs and 10w-40s that have plenty of ZDDP, without spending extra money on strange additives. It's not like there are a lot of old muscle cars that need to use 5w-20 or some similar grade that is only available with lesser amounts of ZDDP.

Buy a pail of Rotella 15w-40 and be done with it. Or, if one insists on synthetic, T5, T6, TDT, Delvac 1, etc., etc.

The people that buy Lucas are the same people who buy the un-certified oil that is the cheapest stuff on the oil isle.

I've seen folks in Walmart with 4 quarts of Accel straight 30 weight and a bottle of Lucas with a Fram oil filter.

I've thought about trying to educate them, but I have learned a long time ago that many other people "KNOW" better than I do.
They could use a $8 5 quart jug of Supertech brand 15w40 and a SuperTech filter, save money, and have an oil that will be closer to whatever their car's make was designed for.
Typically I just walk the other way, I've had one to many people give me a bad experience for trying to be helpful.

The stuff obviously moves because Walmart seems to carry tons of the junk.

STP is not what is used to be.
It used to have very high zinc, among other things.
Now it is pretty much a thick motor oil [Actually, that's all it ever was]. And the 4 cyl formula is ven more questionable.

We have some pretty old cases from having STP as a sponsor [put their sticker on!]. They are valued on EBay - maybe because of what is contains.

Originally Posted By: robbiejt
Has anyone here had rod knock and tried lucas? And i dont mean so far gone nothing will help it. I for one have had rod knock and it worked so whoever here says it dont work how do you know whats in the product when you didnt make the dam product? Tthis [censored] me off all the [censored] talkers will come on here acting as if they know the formula to it and made it. It worked until i could replace the bearings it makes a cushion for the bearings duh it doesnt say permanent fix dummies and oh yeah oil pressure went up with bad bearings thats proof right there it says increases oil pressure plus stopped the knocking i doubt seriously lucas is going to tell you all here the formula so you can scam them i doubt a single one of you here could tell me whats in it Can You? I have no idea all you condeming it id like you to tell me whats in it. You must of seen it made the way your talking even [censored] motor oil without lucas will foam get out an electric mixer its going to make bubbles idiots do whatever you want i will continue using it and if someone wants something in their car you have no right telling them not to use it you their boss or some [censored]?

Lucas IS garbage,their's nothing in it of any benefit to an engine,NONE!!

Originally Posted By: steve20
Plain, simple Garak.

EXACTLY !!

Yep, don't complicate things. The worst part is that most of these additives are horribly expensive. Hmmm, let's buy five quarts of a good SM oil and top it off with this fancy snake oil for $15 more. Let's ignore the jug of Rotella that would give me four oil changes at roughly $10 per change, and give me plenty of ZDDP and sufficient thickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back