Fram Xtended Guard 7317 *pic*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I got a bunch of XG's for 50 cents a piece. Gotta love thrift overstock stores.
grin2.gif

That's a good score! I'd use an XG.

Using one on the Malibu and one on the Integra right now. No problems to report. I sent one to river_rat for his testing as well and it looked great when he cut it open.

The XG I bought for my Toyota 1NZ to go with my M1 10w-30 HM syn didnt fit. Wasted MY money. I guess if I write them (Honeywell)they would give me my $$ back.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I do believe the PureONE has a higher efficiency rating than the XG, but the XG holds more dirt. So maybe for really long OCI, the XG would be better. But they are also a bit more expensive.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: Hitzy
Great prices on Fram oil filters here in Canada.....
Extra Guard $6-$8
Tough Guard $8-$11
Xtended Guard $12-$14

Some competitor prices:
Quaker State $6-$7
Carquest Blue $7-$8
AC Delco's $7-$10

I gotta start ordering from the US...

The XG pricing is too close to the price of a M1 EP filter. In that price range, I'm seconding river rat that the M1 EP is a better choice. Also agreeing with him that the K&N is a good alternative too.

The problem with Fram filters, regardless of which price point you pick, is that there is a better alternative made by someone else for about the same money (or less). I don't dispute, as many here have said, that millions use them every day without a problem. And its probably thanks to them that the rest of us can find something better from a competing brand for the same money.

-Spyder

Last edited:
I was in Walmart today and made the obligatory stroll down the oil aisle. I looked the the Fram Xtended Guards. I saw a few older ones that aren`t cellophane sealed and they are some REALLY heavy filters! I was impressed by the physical construction of them,BUT,Walmart doesn`t stock them for my car. Autozone here doesn`t have the Xtended Guards at all. What other chain carries them?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I was in Walmart today and made the obligatory stroll down the oil aisle. I looked the the Fram Xtended Guards. I saw a few older ones that aren`t cellophane sealed and they are some REALLY heavy filters! I was impressed by the physical construction of them,BUT,Walmart doesn`t stock them for my car. Autozone here doesn`t have the Xtended Guards at all. What other chain carries them?

According to the Fram website, you can also get them at Checker, Schucks, Kragen, as well as B&C Auto Parts in Texas. You can also get them online from Amazon and Summit Racing.

Quote:
Ya know, I don't think I've seen them anywhere BUT Wally....
Was in Wally the other day and one of the XG shrink wrap boxes had been opened, I had an idea what to expect. Sure enough, some one had swapped out an orange can for the XG, and left the orange can in the XG box. Second time I've seen this happen.

One thing about it, it's deliberate for sure. Feel fairly confident, that's a main reason, Fram seals the XG box. Still ~$9.00 here, though I have seen them get as high as ~$9.50 at Wally for awhile.

How this is the case? According to what I know, the orange can is flimsy, but what about this one? Is the case sturdy with good/great burst strength?

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
How this is the case? According to what I know, the orange can is flimsy, but what about this one? Is the case sturdy with good/great burst strength?

The outer shell of the Extended Guard filter is very strong! As soon as you pick it up you can feel the weight to it and you can't crush this filter with your bare hands, it feels just as strong as the Mobil 1 and K&N filters.

Thank you! I might give it a try when I do my synthetic oil change for the winter. I don't like Fram at all, but after seeing the inside of the case, I had to change my tone on Fram and at least consider it since the XG is a premium filter.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
Was in Wally the other day and one of the XG shrink wrap boxes had been opened, I had an idea what to expect. Sure enough, some one had swapped out an orange can for the XG, and left the orange can in the XG box. Second time I've seen this happen.

One thing about it, it's deliberate for sure. Feel fairly confident, that's a main reason, Fram seals the XG box. Still ~$9.00 here, though I have seen them get as high as ~$9.50 at Wally for awhile.

Sure its deliberate. Likely a case of refund fraud that WM's lazy return & re-shelf policy makes them prone too. What I think happened?

Someone bought an OCOD and an XG, opened the boxes, swapped the product, and returned the "XG." Clueless clerk refunds the cost of the "XG" and, with no sign of use or defect, it gets put back up on the shelf.

Which is why I never buy anything from WM anymore that isn't sealed. If its sold in a non-sealed type package I open and inspect myself for any sign that its a repackaged return.

I have been burned a couple times when I didn't do this, although in both cases I was able to get a refund and was only out the time it took to make the return trip.

Edit: or they took the front door exchange route rather than the back door one. Saw lots of this in a former Loss Prevention & Security career.

-Spyder

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: defektes
The 10 dollar fram the xtendedguard is a very good filter. Probably what I would use if I ever did a extended OCI.

Thay are priced at 8.89 at our WalMart.

Looks like a great long OCI filter. On my next oil change (M1 5w20EP), I plan on using the Extended Guard. Will save about $4 versus the Mobil 1 EP filter I currently use.

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Quote:

Sure its deliberate. Likely a case of refund fraud that WM's lazy return & re-shelf policy makes them prone too. What I think happened?

Someone bought an OCOD and an XG, opened the boxes, swapped the product, and returned the "XG." Clueless clerk refunds the cost of the "XG" and, with no sign of use or defect, it gets put back up on the shelf.
Could be, but I wasn't even thinking of anything that involved. Just thinking the XG box was opened in the store, swapped with orange can, XG in orange can box. When checked out with other items and scanned, it's not going to be checked. Either way though, still a fraud and low life.

That said, it's always a good idea check inside the box (if not sealed), when buying any filter.

I like to check inside the box, if possible, just to make sure the filter isn't dented and that it is the correct number.

I bet all the big-box stores suffer from these shenanigans. I've picked up plumbing stuff at Home Depot that was missing parts before.

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Quote:

Could be, but I wasn't even thinking of anything that involved. Just thinking the XG box was opened in the store, swapped with orange can, XG in orange can box. When checked out with other items and scanned, it's not going to be checked. Either way though, still a fraud and low life.

That said, it's always a good idea check inside the box (if not sealed), when buying any filter.

Swapped in the store, its theft. Swapped outside and returned, its fraud. Both happen a lot, and big box stores are also the biggest targets. Box swapping is common at hardware stores. Mostly tools, but also expensive fixtures. That people will go to these lengths to rip off a $10 filter gives you an idea of how common and ridiculous it is.

Though I've seen stupider. Stupidest was the guy who brought in his own bags and bagged two 2L bottles of pepsi and walked out with them. They were on sale for 99 cents each. Even stupider? That it tied up over half an hour of my time, a store employee's time who had to be a witness, two police officer's time that responded, and then the court's time. Anyway that is way off topic. Different time, different career. Got to see a lot of craziness though.

-Spyder

Fraud or theft semantics aside, results are the same. Point was/is that the wrap on the XG is more likely a function of trying to prevent said occurence than protecting the filter. Being as Wally is main supplier of the XG, it's understandable. Sad, but understandable.

Quote:
That people will go to these lengths to rip off a $10 filter gives you an idea of how common and ridiculous it is.

Thieves and fraudulent types have always been here. They're actually quite clever. Many antisocial types are. They see through the barriers that appear intact to more social types. The "locks keep honest people honest" theory.

It's just now they have to pluck more lower hanging fruit. It's rough out there to make an honest living and it's obviously getting rough to make a dishonest one too.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
That people will go to these lengths to rip off a $10 filter gives you an idea of how common and ridiculous it is.

Thieves and fraudulent types have always been here. They're actually quite clever. Many antisocial types are. They see through the barriers that appear intact to more social types. The "locks keep honest people honest" theory.

Very true. Its a kind of an arms race as business, government, and society, grapple to find new solutions to current, past, and novel problems while those on 'the fringe' come up with new ways to exploit whatever solutions are put in place.

Bottom line as far as the topic goes is that in any store, its always worth taking an extra moment to ensure the product your buying is what's listed on the package (properly shrink wrapped, or if not a shrink wrapped product, package inside is free from obvious tampering or repackaging).

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back