Ford 400 / 351m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil recommendations? it's a 6.6l 400 ford. 77 continental. Obviously an abused car. At first the check oil light was on at low rpms, turns out there was a rubber grommet blocking 1/2 the oilfilter... solved that one. First change I put delo 15/40 in her. Few thoughts, one, is there enough detergent in delo to possibly knock some "sludge" out of where it's been safely and neatly placed after all these years? Should I run something with less detergent? After 160K I imagine clearances are pretty much wide open, what oil would you run? Right now, the car is in Texas along the gulf, so, IT'S HOT. Would yall keep Delo or switch it up to something else? I assume it has a flat tappet cam, is there enough zdpdppdpds or whatever in my delo to keep her happy? Is Delo too thick? Would I get better mileage with some straight 30?

Thanks

My pick would be Rotella T6 5w40. 160k miles isn't terribly high mileage, although oils and fuels were notoriously bad in the late 70s/early 80s, the primitive emissions systems generated a ton of under-hood heat, some engine parts were kept much hotter than they were designed for, and tuning was right on the edge of detonation most of the time. If it has problems due to that, I'd expect valve and other top-end problems, not bottom end/oiling issues.

The 400 M,which stands for modified had a history of main and rod bearing issues.It was not uncommon for a 400m w/ 70-80 k develop oil pressure problems at idle.I was a ford tech when these engines were being used and customer complaints of oil warning light on at idle was quite common.Other than replacing the bearing's the next thing that was commonly done back then was 10w40 oil and STP.I would probably try to use the 15w40 oil

Sorry, no pics but here's a quick vid.
I've pretty much disabled all the emissions stuff, not because that's something I'd normally due, I love the planet, but these untracable vacuum leaks were just unsolvable. Vacuum hoses everywhere, all of which leaked. PCV is in tact, and brake booster, and line to the trans. The owner before me 1/2 dismantled the EGR system. The tube from the manifold now just runs to the carb like a loop. I left the air pump intact so I assume it's pumping air somewhere, hopefully reducing emissions. GAS MILEAGE SUCKS, it's worse than the mileage I get from a model 7 years older with a 460 in it. I can't believe a 400 with a 2 barrel can't reach 10 mpg?
Thanks for the replies. I figure next oil change I'll mix Delo with Rotella.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FOTwEsvk1s

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back