Castrol Syntec 20w50 for classic cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen a VOA for this oil? I want to know if it truly has more zddp than their standard syntec. I searched, but couldn't find anything about it.

Heck I haven't even seen the oil. It was supposed to come out about a year ago. Castrol claims it is 1200 ppm ZDDP. That is it's reason for existence so I see no reason to doubt them but we are talking about the marketing branch of a motor oil company aren't we.

Did you buy some? What is the price per Qt?

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
It runs great in my 84' John Deere 210 lawn tractor. Got it on clearance at China Mart last fall for $1.25 a quart.

there are 2 different 20W50 Syntecs, the one he is talking about say formulated for classic cars on it. I have yet to see the 20W50 classic car formula on the shelf....

It seems that anything thicker than 10-30 has more zinc.
Those thicker oils are not regulated the same as the energy conserving ones.
Not great nowadays, but a little more.

Originally Posted By: 94supraonchrome
It runs great in my 84' John Deere 210 lawn tractor. Got it on clearance at China Mart last fall for $1.25 a quart.

there are 2 different 20W50 Syntecs, the one he is talking about say formulated for classic cars on it. I have yet to see the 20W50 classic car formula on the shelf....

Yeah, the bottles say "Formulated for Classic Cars" on it.

Since the classic car formula was a year over due to hit the shelves I figured they must have spent all their money on the dip stick Edge commercials and cancelled the Syntec Classic. I have not seen a single bottle anywhere. According to one of their tech reps they dropped the GTX 20W50's ZDDP to SM levels. Not required but did it anyway. The classic car formula was going to be the savior in that regard.

Originally Posted By: carman594
Just put it in and my valvetrain noise has reduced significantly!

What did you have in there before? I suspect if going from a 10w30 or similar, a 15w40 HDEO would similarly quiet a classic car's noisy valvetrain.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Just put it in and my valvetrain noise has reduced significantly!

What did you have in there before? I suspect if going from a 10w30 or similar, a 15w40 HDEO would similarly quiet a classic car's noisy valvetrain.

I had GC in it before

SYNTEC20W50_150x300.jpg

I am always impressed by that Honey Amber Brown color the Syntecs pour. Most oil isnt that color. That ive seen.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=7032644

List of Oils i have found ONLINE that people have NEVER seen in Stores, at least 2:

1) Pennzoil Platinum 15W-50
2) Pennzoil Platinum 5W-50 (PM me for Links)

And today, i found a DEAL on Castrol Syntec BLEND 20W-50. 5 Quarts, AND A PURE ONE FILTER :shock: $19.99 at Advance. Syntec is always good on those sales.

No linky, the owners said promoting a sale is
06.gif

Im about to see if i can find this for sale, online.

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley

SYNTEC20W50_150x300.jpg

I am always impressed by that Honey Amber Brown color the Syntecs pour. Most oil isnt that color. That ive seen.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=7032644

List of Oils i have found ONLINE that people have NEVER seen in Stores, at least 2:

And today, i found a DEAL on Castrol Syntec BLEND 20W-50. 5 Quarts, AND A PURE ONE FILTER :shock: $19.99 at Advance. Syntec is always good on those sales.

06.gif

The 20W-50 was MUCH more honey amber than GC. GC is just gold

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley

SYNTEC20W50_150x300.jpg

06.gif

The 20W-50 was MUCH more honey amber than GC. GC is just gold

I think the Oil's color is amazing, actually. Supertech has NO Color, and its next to impossible to see on the Dipstick. Yeah, that Light! And it looks like it "Pumps" out of the bottle. And i see Bubbles in my Funnel when it (The Oil) is resting in my fill cap. Cool.
thumbsup2.gif

.. Quieted the Valvetrain down a lot, huh. Any Lifter ticking, before, after, or ever?

They say its normal, but some engines dont "Tick."

FWIW, I heard a Hummer Stretch Limo Lister Ticking the other day.
thumbsup2.gif

I remember seeing it online only.
However, a couple weeks ago I called Castrol and asked what oil I should use for my '69 VW camper just to see what they said. They told me to use Syntec 20W-50 because it has 1200 ppm zinc for flat tappet engines.
They made no mention of any classic car formulas. Is the "classic" still even being sold?

I was in Autozone the other day and noticed (before I saw this thread) that the Syntec 20W-50 bottles had "Classic Car Formula" listed on the front label. Now I know why - additional ZDDP for older, non-roller valvtrains.

Originally Posted By: river_rat

I remember seeing it online only.
However, a couple weeks ago I called Castrol and asked what oil I should use for my '69 VW camper just to see what they said. They told me to use Syntec 20W-50 because it has 1200 ppm zinc for flat tappet engines.
They made no mention of any classic car formulas. Is the "classic" still even being sold?

River Rat, the 20W-50 is the only Syntec in that grade, so its almost certainly the Classic Car Formula they speak of.

Only other Syntec in a "50" KV is 5W-50, so maybe for Winter use, thats a good choice, and 20W-50 for the rest of the year.

Synthetic Pumpability of a 20W. Nice!
thumbsup2.gif

My bad. I see the label says classic cars on it.
I was thinking of the retro looking jugs they used to sell.

The only time I have seen the Classic Car 20W50 Syntec was on the shelf at the local NAPA. It was selling for about $7.50 as a recall and had a thick layer of dust on the bottles. I think their pricing makes it hard to compete with M1 15W50 at $4.25 and some others. In any event here is a quote from some Castrol Email corresspondence from about two years ago.

"Unfortunately the information you are requesting in proprietary. The Castrol GTX 20W-50 has had a reduction of zinc and is not recommended to be used in Classic cars with flat tappet cams.

Although the exact amount of zinc is proprietary, the level of Zinc in the new re-formualted full synthetic Syntec 20W-50 is a minimum of 1200 ppm, which will provide excellent anti-wear protection for the cam and lifters in a flat-tappet cam engine."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
The only time I have seen the Classic Car 20W50 Syntec was on the shelf at the local NAPA. It was selling for about $7.50 as a recall and had a thick layer of dust on the bottles. I think their pricing makes it hard to compete with M1 15W50 at $4.25 and some others. In any event here is a quote from some Castrol Email corresspondence from about two years ago.

"Unfortunately the information you are requesting in proprietary. The Castrol GTX 20W-50 has had a reduction of zinc and is not recommended to be used in Classic cars with flat tappet cams.

Although the exact amount of zinc is proprietary, the level of Zinc in the new re-formualted full synthetic Syntec 20W-50 is a minimum of 1200 ppm, which will provide excellent anti-wear protection for the cam and lifters in a flat-tappet cam engine."

Good. That means it had MORE than 1200PPM of Zinc at one time.

AutoZone will sell 5 quarts AND a Filter for $27.99 once every couple months or so. This is the only way to do it, since $7.50 is .50 less than Edge (??) and more than M1 and PP .. and even PU!

Seems that bottling is Castrol's "Red Cap" Syntec.
thumbsup2.gif

Lets Search for it for Sale!

And yes, only one ive seen of it is 5W-50 and it has 5W-50 in a Red box. Red Cap!!
thumbsup2.gif
(5W-40, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40, IIRC. 0W-30 is GC AND "AC," American Castrol 0W-30 "AFE.".)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back