2010 chevy silverado ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick newb question, searched and looked through owners manual. What is the factory specd first oil change for the 4.8l v8. Sorry and thanks. I know this is a debate issue, which is why I'm just asking for the factory spec.

Factory is when the oil life monitor indicates its time. Basically your new truck will tell you. 5w30 and GM6094M. 10w-30 is also acceptable via the fine print.

Any oil change interval is up to you to decide as long as it doesn't go over what the OLM says or 1 year.

I changed the factory fill of my GM V8 truck at 500 miles, 1,000 miles, and then went by the OLM.

Last edited:
5W30( manual allows for 0W30 in cold temps )
GM6094M
API Starburst
Change by the OLM( not to exceed 1 year )

I always change out the FF between 500-1000 miles on new vehicles. I then follow the mfg's requirement as far as intervals. On my 07 Silverado( NBS like your 2010 )w/ 5.3L I changed the oil every 5K. The OLM was usually around 25-30% at that time but it could be as low as 10% or as high as 75% depending on various factors. I always just went with 5K as it was easy to remember and I always do my tire rotation at the same time.

Last edited:
I mirror what the others say. Dump the factory fill early, reset the OLM and go with it.

yeah, all the old school rules are still quoted here.

Take it from a fleet owner of GM vehicles, many with super high miles.

Use any high end synth and filter, and do it when the OLM tells ya.

Anything else is wasting your money. I have vehicles running 6 days a week with 400k miles and 250k miles on them that we only follow the OLM on.

No smoke, no consumption, and no drips.

I appreciate everyones respones, however I am not asking for viscosity or your personal OCI. Simply the MFG spec for the 1st oil change. This is a base model truck, and I believe I don't have an OLM. I could be mistaken, I just got the truck. FWIW I plan on trying to run 10k OCI's.

This might be a silly question, but what does the owner's manual say? Have you read it?

The "MFG spec" is the Oil Life Monitor, which you do have. It is accessible through your odometer display readout. Any 5W-30 dino will do. You'll probably get 7500-8500 OCIs by following the OLM unless you tow, drive really short trips, or live in a really cold climate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Taylor
I appreciate everyones respones, however I am not asking for viscosity or your personal OCI. Simply the MFG spec for the 1st oil change. This is a base model truck, and I believe I don't have an OLM. I could be mistaken, I just got the truck. FWIW I plan on trying to run 10k OCI's.

You DO have one and follow it. The official OCI for factory fill is to follow it.

Most of us do things to "help" the vehicle out so it lasts longer like changing out the factory fill sooner.

Personally I'd change it with a new filter with ANY 5w-30 oil of your choice (all of them are excellent) around 1500-2000 miles, reset the OLM and get on with it!

I had a 4.8l in my 2000 and my Mothers 2002 has one in it and EXCELLENT motor! Great MPG too!

Take care, Bill

So the FF is to follow the OLM? Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Good Luck with your Silverado. Mine has 105k on it I run Dino and change every 3000. I love the truck I hope yours treat's you well. QS green bottle going in mine tomorrow with a an AC Delco non e-core filter.

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
Good Luck with your Silverado. Mine has 105k on it I run Dino and change every 3000. I love the truck I hope yours treat's you well. QS green bottle going in mine tomorrow with a an AC Delco non e-core filter.

83 Silverado with 209K on her and she's still my DD, bought her new and did the first oil change at 500,1500 and 3k, still maintaing 3K OC with PYB
thumbsup2.gif

So I'm pretty sure I have no OLM. I went through the odometer. Trailer gain trip etc no olm......

Originally Posted By: Taylor
So I'm pretty sure I have no OLM. I went through the odometer. Trailer gain trip etc no olm......

You DO HAVE one. If my beyond base 2004 GMC has one, your 2010 does. I'd place $$ on it and give you odds... (If Utah was not one of the only 2 states that forbids ALL gambling)

Bill

I think you are pushing the wrong button. The trailer gain and such if i remember right is the button down from the one you want. At least its that way on my 2009. You want the button that cycles you through gas mileage and such.

Remember that some vehicles (like mine) the OLM ONLY comes on (in the odometer screen) when the oil is getting near changing. Nothing to do other than once you change the oil do the gas pedal to reset.

Mine first flashes the message when you start the truck. Wait a few hundred miles and it stays on longer. IF you don't reset it then it stays on longer on each start up. There is no percentage numbers or such.

Bill

Make sure you are in Park, then start pushing the trip button...should be the third or fourth one to come up. On some of those models, it won't show as you scroll through if you are not in park.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Remember that some vehicles (like mine) the OLM ONLY comes on (in the odometer screen) when the oil is getting near changing. Nothing to do other than once you change the oil do the gas pedal to reset.

Mine first flashes the message when you start the truck. Wait a few hundred miles and it stays on longer. IF you don't reset it then it stays on longer on each start up. There is no percentage numbers or such.

Bill
That is exactly how the OLM works on my Silverado as well. Very basic system compared to some I see people have on other vehicles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back