lower unit oil options 25hp OB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently using Mercury lower unit oil. I'd like to go with something cheaper so i can check for water more often. (i run in the mud and stumps) Would penzoil outboard LU oil be a good replacement. What about any GL-4 or 5 gear oil?
Thanks,

I would use a synthetic lube myself. I going to run the Amsoil outboard LU oil. Don't have any experience with it. But they make great gear oils in general.

Don't know how it compares in price to Merc lube, probably cheaper. If you change often and don't run hard you could probably use just about anything.

Last edited:
I've used the Pennzoil gear lube extensively with good results. Supposedly, the marine product contains more emulsifier and corrosion inhibitors than regular gear oil, thereby being better in a marine environment.

Pennzoil is great. I'd have to check, but I think that the gears need a GL5, not just a GL4. at that horsepower range you don't need a synthetic. I used to run Penzz in my 25 and 85 hp outboards. My 205 and 270 get Synthetic...

I use Castrol 80W90 GL5 automotive gear oil since I was told that the marine gear oil is the same stuff only packaged and priced for a different market.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back