What's the best way to clean intake valves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i add an ounce or two of MMO each time i fill up, just to err on the safe side, its less than $4 for an entire quart anyways, might as well.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
i add an ounce or two of MMO each time i fill up, just to err on the safe side, its less than $4 for an entire quart anyways, might as well.

+1 now that it is clean keep it clean. Try the recommended dose of 4 ounces/10 gallons of fuel. I don't see much benefit to an ounce or two of MMO to a full tank of gas.

im really just guessing, kinda just pour some in and whatever goes in, goes in. 1-2oz per tank is better than 0oz per tank in my opinion, it has to at least be doing something.

when i had my intectors out recently, they were immaculately clean, as were the valves too, nothing but bare metal, i was quite impressed to say the least.

im very fond of MMO, every time i talk about it i just want to add more. after seeing how immaculately clean my engine internals are with 121,000 miles, i must be doing something right.

Agreed. I would use some sort of UCL like MMO or Lucas now that the engine is clean and to help keep the injectors an top end of the engine lubricated so its harder for deposits to form.

Keep using the Top-Tier fuel, and run a bottle of Techron or similar PEA based fuel additive once a year in the summer to ensure everything is clean. (No MMO/Lucas at this time)

cheers3.gif

Steve

Lucas is a poor UCL. After using a LOT of it, I can say it does nothing.
It is just engine oil with some detergents.
MMO or TCW3 2 stroke oil is all I use now.

Last time I was in a Walmart, I could not find TC-W3. Mind you, I had not been to this particular one in a year but their oil section had no TC-W3.

- Vikas

I've noticed a bottle of Regane and a pint bottle of B12 in about 20 gallons of gas makes a very good cleaner. I had my injectors out over the weekend, about 100 miles after running a tank of this mix, and they (and everything they spray towards) was clean and shiny, like brand new. By about halfway through the tank, I could feel a difference. It even cleaned the inside of my tailpipe a little!

I just wouldn't run it too often, as the B12 is pretty harsh.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Lucas is a poor UCL. After using a LOT of it, I can say it does nothing.
It is just engine oil with some detergents.
MMO or TCW3 2 stroke oil is all I use now.
Actually not true in my application, I have UOA's with and without its use but the same oil in use in the same climate and I show no ring wear (chromium) with its use. I also feel the engine is a bit peppier with it. JME

It is light oil with an extremely low flash point with a large dose of calcium and a tiny-bit of Phos/Zinc according to Terry.

Folks MMO WILL NOT provide ANY significant cleaning of the intake valves!!!!!!!!

The best easy way to clean is to use a product that contains the gasoline detergent PEA.

Any number of the FULL Strength bottle cleaners will do a great job...

Techron Total Fuel System Cleaner
Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner
Red Line SL-1

Definitely need to use the products with around 30-50% PEA....

try Regane complete fuel system cleaner. i use Redline SI-1 once or twice a year but this stuff is noticeble. full bottle in about 11 gal and cars running very smooth and instant throttle response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back