SAE 30 CF-2 in a gas mower motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is SAE 30 service CF-2 oil suitable for use in my 4-stroke gas Tecumseh push mower motor? I bought some oil at the dollar store for $2, It is labeled MileMaster SAE 30 HD Engine Oil, Exceeds API Service: CF-2, CF Also exceeds API service CD-II, CD. My tecumseh engine calls for SAE 30 API service SF - SJ, and it says do not use SAE 10w40 oil. Can I use this CF service oil in my small gasoline engine?

Well I got an email from MileMaster Oil and this is what they said,
"Hello Jamie
The Milemaster SAE 30 engine oil will provide excellent protection in your 5 HP gasoline engine. The gasoline service categories beginning with SF and later classifications were designed for later multigrade automotive applications which is why the Milemaster SAE 30 does not show this classification. Small gasoline engines, do however recommend what is called straight or monograde SAE 30 oils. The additive system in this milemaster will more than protect your engine
If you have additional questions please contact us again and we will be glad to provide more detail
Thanks."

If anyone has more input on the subject feel free to post as I would love to hear it! Thanks!

There are plenty of straight 30 weights that meet modern SL/SM standards. That stuff sounds better than non-detergent but you could do better for $2/qt; walmart's store brand is ~$2.50 and modern.

It is interesting how your oil only meets diesel specs, usually if they meet diesel they meet a gas spec too if they're "mixed fleet".

Rotella T1 SAE 30 is just rated CF,CF-2 nowadays. And that won't be allowed shortly, at least inside the "API donut".

What will it be rated when they change it? Is rotella good oil?

Rotella is excellent oil!

Just don't know if Rotella T1 sae 30 or 40 is the same as in the past.
21.gif
Probably is, just about anything from SOPUS is good stuff.

I would look at the Rotella web site as far as API catagories, or maybe email them about the future of T1 certs.

This link is where I got the dates on CF & CF-2.

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/new/index.cfm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back