My Dad's 1967 Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
29-07-2010102234PM.jpg

29-07-2010104743PM.jpg

I've mentioned this car on here many times as well - my Dad's 1967 Ford Mustang.

These pics were taken in August, 1970, soon after he both came to Canada and bought it.

It had 9k miles on it when he got it, and he then drove it about 18k miles a year for the next 8 years. Rust rendered it undrivable and unfixable in the end.

It was a bit of an unsually optioned car - all-white interior, and a full white vinyl roof, not a more common half-roof. He loved that car dearly, and always regretted getting rid of it.

apwillard1986 is right - it's a very long block heater cord, wrapped around the grill.

My dad believed keeping an engine warm was the best way to protect it - in the winter, his cars were ALWAYS plugged in!

Thanks for ther compliments!

Yeah, the car was his baby, but he drove it everyday - later on, he would muse that he should have garaged the car in the winter, and made it last, but then he'd admit that he loved driving it so much, he never could have done that!

He told me that he got it 'asphalt' undercoated every year, but a heavy coating like that would ahve trapped moisture, and it was parked indoors at night most of the years he had it, so severe rust was inevitable.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
apwillard1986 is right - it's a very long block heater cord, wrapped around the grill.

My dad believed keeping an engine warm was the best way to protect it - in the winter, his cars were ALWAYS plugged in!

I lived in Maine at that time and you had to do something to help engines start in those days. I went to straight 20wt valvoline then which helped over the 30wt I used in the summer. Very nice car. A buddy bought a 64 1/2 when it first came out.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what my dad's maintenance habits were on the car, or what oil was used in it.

I know he was a huge, huge fan of Canadian Tire from the start, and I know he didn't do the maintenance himself, so I'd imagine he took it there for work.

Quaker State was popular in the 1970's, so I'd imagine it saw a fair bit of that, plus probably Castrol GTX or 'Esso' oils...and the grade was probably 10W-30 or 10W-40 every 3-4k miles.

I've asked my mom, but she has no idea about that stuff, all she knows is at the end, the engine ran perfect.

One thing I didn't mention earlier about this car is that one of the first major things my dad did to it was get new tires for it.

Even my mom remembered that he didn't like the skinny factory tires on it (you can see them clearly in the pic), and that he got 'bigger' tires for it soon after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back