Chevy volt is 10,000$ over priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
41,000 is to high for most people to consider this ground breaking desighn.unless gas goes back to 4$ per gallon -i dont see many sales at this price

The battery pack may need to be replaced in about 10 years at a cost of up to $10k, or about $1k/yr. Too high up front cost and expensive maintenance to save few dollars a week.

Originally Posted By: super20dan
41,000 is to high for most people to consider this ground breaking desighn.unless gas goes back to 4$ per gallon -i dont see many sales at this price

While I agree that the price is to high there are other issues in my opinion. It looks ordinary and not sure it offers enough usable passenger and trunk space.

Not to mention battery replacement cost affecting resale values like other hybrid or electic vehicles.

At least GM is making an attempt.With that pricing, trying to compete with toyota will be difficult,though.It also might go over good for cafe standards and thats all GM has to do to get by the upcoming regulations.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
GM should spend their engineering talent on producing reliable vehicles that people can afford IMO.

They would have to build them in Mexico.

The uncertainty of battery replacement is likely to depress the resale price substantially, even below a "fair" value.

If a purchaser does not know if the battery has 70% or 30% of its life left, the selling price is likely to be close to 30%.

Worse, when comparable used cars are well under $5K, it's going to be tough to sell a used Volt that immediately needs a $10K battery.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
At least GM is making an attempt.With that pricing, trying to compete with toyota will be difficult,though.It also might go over good for cafe standards and thats all GM has to do to get by the upcoming regulations.

how will it be difficult to compete with Toyota when government motors does not have to make a profit it is supported buy me and you waste of money and car is total joke.

Last edited:
Even at $25,000 it will be very hard to sell.

Nice try GM..... but the Volt will eventually be a big failure, which is really no surprise.

Originally Posted By: super20dan
+1
thumbsup2.gif
Except to "Green Hippies" in California and such!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The battery pack may need to be replaced in about 10 years at a cost of up to $10k, or about $1k/yr. Too high up front cost and expensive maintenance to save few dollars a week.
And that's if GM has quality battery packs, with their reputation count on earlier replacement and them not admitting that there is a problem with them.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: WillB
GM should spend their engineering talent on producing reliable vehicles that people can afford IMO.

They would have to build them in Mexico.

That's fine as long as it's not on a Friday, Monday or after Siesta time.
lol.gif

They should code the time into the VIN so us smart folk can figure it out...
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Even at $25,000 it will be very hard to sell.

Nice try GM..... but the Volt will eventually be a big failure, which is really no surprise.

They'll sell all the Volts they make. They won't be making 250k of them per year. The first year they'll only be sold in Cali and Michigan, and in limited numbers. GM has said for a long time the price would be at least $35k, and at whatever price they did sell them at they would be taking a loss as an effort to get the technology "out there" and get good press out of their efforts. They've also said the second generation will be better and cheaper (as with all newer technology).

Right on. We are being used to develop the technology.

What a joke. 40 miles on batteries alone?

Originally Posted By: cousincletus
Although it's a better idea than the Prius, the cost needs to be able to compete w/the Pruis.

But how you you define "better"? I think the Volt's series hyb drive system is intriguing and the concept has great potential, but there is one big "but" that for now would knock it out of the running for me, and it isn't price.

In particular, I'm ultra disappointed that they couldn't package and install the battery so as to save the middle rear seat. As a four-seater, the car is just not in the running for me. I realize that the Volt's design demands a large battery, but I really wish they'd hid the batt somewhere else.

By contrast, the Prius (more so than the other more conventional Toyota/Lex hybrids) with its small battery tucked under the cargo area, and its hatchback configuration is a five-passenger car that can move cargo too. Of course, if the Prius engineers had had to deal with a series-hyb size batt, they'd have to have put it somewhere too.

Another question I have is what impact the plug-in charging will have on one's electric bill, and how that will factor in with total driving cost. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

You really don't understand battery technology and safety requirements, do you?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

You really don't understand battery technology and safety requirements, do you?

$10,000 overpriced? Compared to which other electric car?

I suspect that 40 miles will cover most "urbanites" commute to and from work.
Most folks will never wear the engines oil out because of mileage. The cost to charge the battery in this automobile will be pennies on the dollar compared to using all hydrocarbon power.

This technology is coming like it or not. It will be expensive and complex at first no matter which manufacturer introduces it.
I can't budget for it yet either. If I could I would. I prefer innovative technology.

I am quite sure that there are well heeled folks out there that will step up to purchase this car.
As the battery technology matures and economies of scale set in battery replacement costs will come down.

You folks that are bashing this innovative product:
Please remember that the first of anything is usually not perfect and rather expensive.
Remember the first PC's? They weren't so hot either....see how far we've come?

Rickey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back