Amsoil Sponsors Check In - Dominator coolant boost

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '01 Lumina has 222k miles on the original radiator, hoses, and water pump. First 160k with Dexcool, last 62k with G05. No 'lube'.

Sounds like proof to me that cooling system 'lube' is irrelevant.

But I'm happy to hear that the lube hasn't caused you any damage... except to your wallet.

Well at 400K KM's (240K miles) I usually replace the vehicles because I use them every day for work so there is no telling how well it kept the system inside as I haven't kept them that long.

This current one I intend to drive 500K KM's (300K miles) so I will let you know how that turns out with my cooling system lubricant.

Glad that your system is working for you but I will stay with my system that has worked for me.

Going to Toronto tomorrow, so if it's up on the site the warehouse will have it and so will I!
lol.gif

I will do some runs on my scangauge and post the results here.

Jeezus. If Royal Purple were the name on this bottle, you folks would be slamming it to no end.
I love this place!

Oh, don't feel like we're being left out. Give it time. onion already put the first jab in. More will surely follow.

The text did give a rational view on it. It didn't sell it as a miracle in a bottle. It outright says that it's not going to do you a darn bit of good without a properly sized cooling system. The Evans tech people run into the same problem. People think that it's going to compensate for a way undersized cooling system for the engine that they're cooling. At best it's going to allow someone a bit more time at WOT before they're done. That is, if you're of the Fast & Furious persuasion.

Gary no worries idiots on the board that like to slam products without factual information or scientific test data do so at the cost of their own reputation.

Anyone who has been here a while knows who these members are. We just let them live in their own little world making idiots of themselves and we laugh in the shadows.

There is BITOG posted threads to the public and then there is the whole backroom discussions going on through PM's.
wink.gif

(A General statement not aimed at Onion who you mentioned)

Last edited:
The PDF for Dominator had some good info.

Quote:
Question:
How does Dominator® Coolant Boost prevent electrolysis and galvanic corrosion?
Answer:
Galvanic corrosion occurs when antifreeze acts as an electrolyte between dissimilar metals in cooling systems. Dominator® Coolant Boost contains a premium ingredient called molybdate, which forms a film on the surface of aluminum, controlling the transfer of electrons. This film helps minimize the tendency for electrolysis and galvanic corrosion.

It mentions molybdate as an inhibitor. That is an IAT and suggests the inhibitors might not be OAT. But molybdate alone probably wouldn't be effective, so it probably has other inhibitors. It could be phosphate, molybate and borate or potassium hydoxide, like some SCAs. Or it could be molybdate, an OAT and K hydoxide.

One thing I found strange was that they recommended using soften water, but other sources say the salts used for soften water are not to be used in cooling systems.

I reread the soften water recommendation and it appears they are referring to when used with straight water only and not with anti-freeze. I'm not sure if I agree with soften water ever being recommended over distilled water, but maybe this only applies when antifreeze is not used.

Quote:
Question:
What are the AMSOIL recommendations when using straight water coolant?
Answer:
When using straight water as a coolant, the most robust form is softened water because the softening process removes impurities and minerals from the water by exchanging them for more beneficial minerals. Unlike distilled water, softened water will not act as an electrolyte, thereby minimizing damage from electrolysis. Although softened water is preferred, Dominator® Coolant Boost contains an advanced formula that allows use of low quality water (i.e. well water in cooling systems without concern of damage or scale/deposit buildup.) Distilled water is not recommended in straight water systems.

Last edited:
Some SCA additives use molybdate. So it's common in SOME cooling systems (specifically, John Deere... possibly others).

Personally I wouldn't dump random additives into a coolant that wasn't designed for it. We all know that there are several divergent types of coolant nowadays that often don't even interact well with EACH OTHER. And yet this magic additive can be just dumped into ANY of the dozen or more types of antifreeze out there?

Seems like a bad idea to me, and certainly nothing that I'd spend money on. But hey... magic-in-a-bottle sells. Might as well dump some ****Engine Restore*** in with your next oil change while you're at it. It magically fills scratches and gaps in your cylinder walls!

Well, I'm open minded, and I am a sucker for things like this, but BITOG has changed me some.
I have to agree with one point above by "onion", and that's the fact that this one-size fits all liquid is supposed to work with ALL coolants?
Color me a doubting Thomas here. But I'm following as I would love to see if this is worth trying...

Now, go PM about me behind my back...

I went to the Warehouse in Toronto (Missisauga) today and they didn't have any in stock yet.
frown.gif

I guess WI needs to get off their arse and send some north.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: onion
Looks like snake oil to me. Why would a cooling system need 'lube' anyway?

I've heard the business about cooling systems not needing lubes before. Personally, I don't know. I do know, however, that many manufacturers don't want silicates in the cooling system because of their abrasive tendencies.

What I have trouble with in this 'test' is... was it actually run with or without a Thermostat?

Because it's the thermostat that REGULATES a temperature. So if it's running cooler than normal it will close to allow the temp to rise to a preset level.

The only way I can see this as having any real relevance is if it was run without any thermostat at all, and that would then mean a longer time to reach it's max. operating temp.

BTW I use to run lab tests on Aircraft Oil Coolers and also Radiator's for Stewart-Warner. And the tests were done with nothing but pure water. Developmental Lab.

Originally Posted By: 07MKX
What I have trouble with in this 'test' is... was it actually run with or without a Thermostat?

Because it's the thermostat that REGULATES a temperature. So if it's running cooler than normal it will close to allow the temp to rise to a preset level.

The only way I can see this as having any real relevance is if it was run without any thermostat at all, and that would then mean a longer time to reach it's max. operating temp.

BTW I use to run lab tests on Aircraft Oil Coolers and also Radiator's for Stewart-Warner. And the tests were done with nothing but pure water. Developmental Lab.

With a thermostat, and usually when they claim a 19* drop, they are seeing that 19* drop at the radiator vs a previous fill.

A colder radiator means a more efficient heat transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back