Delvac 1300 15w-40 2002 Powerstroke 7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
uoa001.jpg

Except for the shearing, you could go 10K miles. Not saying shearing is a problem now, but at 8K miles it might be.

PDS states 15.5 for 100C virgin visco.

Even with the shearing, it's STILL a solid 40-weight, so it doesn't 'count'.

Could have easily done 10k - aren't 5k OCI's on a diesel expensive with how much oil they take?

Hi,
Steve S - You are using one of the best HDEOs around. This is a "sleeper" lubricant on BITOG but is well known as an excellent performer in big Fleets. It has a great reputation for engine cleanliness. These lubricants have a great history going back 50 years or so

Great stuff!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Even with the shearing, it's STILL a solid 40-weight, so it doesn't 'count'.

Could have easily done 10k - aren't 5k OCI's on a diesel expensive with how much oil they take?
Yep it takes 15 qts. It is my wifes truck and she really likes it and that is what the manual says so when I am asked to change it I do....Yes I am.

The 33,357 miles was Delo 400 15w/40 I am not sure of the c rating and the 12,359 miles was a sample drawn of Rotella syn 5w-40 . I do not do UOAs on a regular basis I would rather just change the oil when asked. I don't put that much thought into the vehicles ,I go by the mfg recommendations more or less.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
the 6.0's are 7,500 mi., but the 7.3's were only 5,000mi.

Yes sir, for severe service the 7.3s are only 3000 miles....

Kind of curious what changed between the '02 7.3 and '03 up 6.0 that made the 6.0 able to go so much farther on oil-the HEUI system is comparable, & the 6.0 is a MUCH lighter engine (smaller 2-piece block), I know the 2 7.3 vans we have were usually OC'd at 5000-7500 miles, both are going strong @ 235K & 365K.

i think the largest contributing factor was the advent of usld, i know it wasn't available until 07, but stiull had to be a factor. the 6.0's also use much higher fuel pressure vs. the 7.3's resulting in a much cleaner combustion. the 2 6.0's i've had have had no trouble going out to the 7,500 oci as per my uoa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back