7,424 mi. on sample (approx 4 months)
john deere plus 50 10w-30 CI-4
oilscan (through deere)
dealer didn't have tbn test kit yet, so i used what i had on hand

iron.................11
chromium............. nickel............... aluminum..............1
lead..................3
copper................1
tin.................. silver............... titanium............. silicon...............6
boron...............170
potassium........... moly................119
phos...............1366
zinc...............1569
calcium............3992
barium.............. magnesium............16
antimony............ vanadium............. fuel% vol............ t/s% vol............ water% vol.......... vis cs 100c........10.6

its a fairly uneventful report, i changed oil & filter at time of sample and used the same type oil.
driving conditions are 90% highway with a little towing and hauling upto 4000# in the bed.
from what i have seen from my last two runs of 10w-30, powerstroke owners can run this year around without hesitation, weather conditions here over the last two months have been 90f+ more often than not.

no it is not a syn., i was able to lighten the load of my local dealers stock of the older spec CI-4 for around 11 bucks a gallon.

there was no make-up oil added during this oci

Last edited:
just to update, i just recieved uoa, its virtually a repeat of the previous one.
'07 f350 powerstroke 7,604 mi. on sample 9/20/10
no make-up added
john deere plus 50 10w-30 CI-4

iron.......................9
chromium.................. nickel.................... aluminum...................1
lead.......................1
copper.....................2
tin........................1
silver................... titanium.................. silicon....................6
boron....................166
sodium.....................3
potassuim................ molybdenum...............115
phosphorus..............1273
zinc....................1488
calcium.................3823
barium................... magnesium.................11
antimony................. vanadium.................. fuel % vol................ t/s % vol............... 0.5
water % vol............. vis cs 100c.............10.4

there is very little towing on this sample, but hauling upto 4000# regularly down the interstate in 90f+
after 3 sucessive runs of the same oil/grade the powerstroke seems to get along with 10w-30 quite nicely

Thanks Roadrunner. NIce report on what looks to be a great oil. Still would like to see a TBN. Aren't we cheeky spending other people's money? ( : < )

my dealer doesn't have the tbn test kits in stock, so for the 11 bucks i'll just stick with the standard test.
as well as everything looks in the sample i doubt that the tbn is too low, manual says change at 7,500 mi., i'm not interested in extended intervals, i just like to keep an eye on everything.

last year ago i caught an injector o-ring leak on this truck with an uoa, so along with the other equipment i send a sample in at every oc.

The JD Plus 50 CI grade is no longer available and has been replaced by CJ, correct?????

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
The JD Plus 50 CI grade is no longer available and has been replaced by CJ, correct?????

Correct...BUT...there still may be older CI stock floating around,,do a dealer search for product.

glad i got 15 gals in stash!!!

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
my dealer doesn't have the tbn test kits in stock, so for the 11 bucks i'll just stick with the standard test.

So your JD dealer does UOA'a for 11 bucks???

Originally Posted By: daman

Correct...BUT...there still may be older CI stock floating around,,do a dealer search for product.

You wouldn't happen to know any part numbers for that closeout CI-4 Plus 50, would you?

oilscan test kits at my dealer are 11.84, then i take them to the post office, i think a buck or a buck and a half to ship.
this paticular sample was drawn on monday eve, mailed tuesday morning, and i recieved e-mail notifcation friday night of the results. they also mail a copy, but the e-mail is fast and all of the previous samples are available online through my account

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: daman

You wouldn't happen to know any part numbers for that closeout CI-4 Plus 50, would you?

Yep got my invoice right here it's #TY6390 5 gal pail 15w40

oilscan test kits at my dealer are 11.84, then i take them to the post office, i think a buck or a buck and a half to ship.
this paticular sample was drawn on monday eve, mailed tuesday morning, and i recieved e-mail notifcation friday night of the results. they also mail a copy, but the e-mail is fast and all of the previous samples are available online through my account

So you buy the kit at the store(JD) then send it out for the results?

exactly, just drop it off at the post office after sample has been drawn.
the deere number for the 10w-30 TY25851 qts CI-4
the new number TY26669 qts CJ-4

when my current stock is exausted i will switch over to the CJ-4, but i'm pretty sure protection will be just as good. the only reason for my large stash of the CI-4 is that my dealer made me a deal to take what they had left, around 20 gallons.

exactly, just drop it off at the post office after sample has been drawn.
the deere number for the 10w-30 TY25851 qts CI-4
the new number TY26669 qts CJ-4

when my current stock is exausted i will switch over to the CJ-4, but i'm pretty sure protection will be just as good. the only reason for my large stash of the CI-4 is that my dealer made me a deal to take what they had left, around 20 gallons.

Love to see a UOA or VOA on the new stuff.

another update, I recieved latest uoa this morning so I thought I would share.
OILSCAN through John Deere
7,476 mi. on sample
119,864 mi. total
sample drawn on 12/18/10
no make-up oil added
oil and filter changed at the time of the sample with same grade/brand of oil

iron..............................11
chromium.......................... nickel.............................1
aluminum...........................2
lead...............................2
copper.............................1
tin............................... silver........................... titanium.......................... silicon............................7
boron............................191
sodium.............................5
potassium........................ molybdenum.......................129
phosphorus......................1424
zinc............................1648
calcium.........................4165
barium........................... magnesium.........................15
antimony......................... vanadium.......................... fuel% vol........................ t/s% vol...................... .5
water% vol...................... vis cs 100c......................10.5

this is my fourth consectitive run of the same grade/brand, every sample is almost a carbon copy of the previous.

While I cannot speak for every 6.0 on the road, my 07 seems to be wearing nicely with 10w-30

Thanks for the constant update another outstanding run from this sleeper oil!!, this is CI4 correct? looks like it, did you state your doing a new CJ run?

run this oil 10,000 and dont look back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back