multi use filter questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 4.0 nissan frontier, 2004 1.7 civic and a 25hp merc outboard that id like to use the same oil filter on. I have always used OEM but not that nissan and honda use lower quility filters i'm exploring aftermarket options. It looks like a wix 51356 or a baldwin B1402 or mobil1 filter would fit all my engines. But the makers do not have much information to compare. I'm concerned with the flow rate and filter rates for example wix relieves at 8-11psid and the baldwin relieves at 14psid. (i think my nissan relieves at 14psid) (i'm also concerned about the outboard, i have heard that the filter is a high flow more open design)
What filter would provide the best protection. All the filters are mounted horizontally too.
Thanks for the help a one filter fleet would make life much easer.
Greg

It wouldn't bother me to use the 14610, which is the purolator equivelant, in all those and if I owned them I probably would. I used it in our 03 Civic, and I use it on my motorcycle, our Accord, my old Accord... etc.

The bypass isn't an exact thing, I wouldn't worry about 10 or 20% there, which is probably in the tolerance of manufacture anyway. If you are concerned, Wix has a better setup for the bypass than Purolator in this application.

As for the outboard, I'd throw it on there. I doubt a 25hp Merc at full bore (probably 6500 rpm tops) is flowing more oil than any of those filters can handle.

It's a great thing to be able to keep one size of filter on your shelf and use it for multiple vehicles. My Nissan, wife's Saturn, and mother-in-law's Honda all use the same size. And that size happens to be the same that your Nissan and Honda use. Any of the following would be good choices:

Purolator PureONE PL14610
NAPA Gold FIL1356
WIX 51356
DENSO 150-1010
Bosch D3323
Mobil 1 M1-110
K&N HP-1010

thanks guys! I'm mildly concerned with maintaining my warranty for my Nissan but any of the top of line filters should cover the warranty if i document the change. I'm not real worried about 25 outboard. The OEM filter is about 3/4 to 1 inch shorter so a longer filter should help or even out in the end.
I guess i'll start shopping for a deal.
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back