List of Group IV oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there somewhere that I can go to see a list all of the Group IV motorcycle oils that are currently available?

Yikes! I'm going to need to learn what all those acronyms mean. I read that "Group IV" oils are true, 100% "full synthetics." If that is true (is it?), I was hoping to find a Group IV oil that I could use in my motorcycle.

Originally Posted By: inline5
I read that "Group IV" oils are true, 100% "full synthetics." If that is true (is it?), I was hoping to find a Group IV oil that I could use in my motorcycle.

This is irrelevant for the most part nowadays. Group III/III+ oils have come a long way to the point where they offer comparable performance benefits to group IV/V. Besides, no oil is 100% group IV - they're all a mix of various oil groups to some extent.

Thanks Pete. What do you mean when you say "no oil is 100% group IV?" II thought an oil was either a Group IV or it's not. Can an oil be classified as a Group III and a Group IV at the same time?

I recently bought a 4 month old 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R with 1,400 miles on it. It turns around 9,000 rpm at 70mph. Redline is 13K, IIRC. I bought a new front sprocket that will lower this to 8,000 rpm. I'm just looking for the best possible protection for this type of engine.

The most common GrpIV PAO based products marketed for motorcycles would probably be Amsoil MCS, Mobil 1 4T and Vtwin, and Royal Purple Max Cycle. Schaeffer makes a GrpIV/GrpIII blend and there are others as well.

Since PAO does not have the solubility properties to properly disperse the additive package some "carrier oil" is added to achieve this. It could be GrpI, II, or III. Even though the companies advertise "100%" or "fully", not sure that is possible. Of course they could use GrpIII as a carrier and still claim 100% syn but not 100% PAO. Similarly some companies advertise 100% GrpV as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: inline5
Thanks Pete. What do you mean when you say "no oil is 100% group IV?" II thought an oil was either a Group IV or it's not. Can an oil be classified as a Group III and a Group IV at the same time?

The API Base Stock category system is whats being refered to here. And its just that. A system for categorizing Base Lubrication Oils, not finished retail motor oils. A motor oil advertised as a non-synthtic 5w-20 is commonoly made up of Group II base oil with Grup iii+ or iv "correction" base oil to get the oil to the required VI and other charactersitics. Can a lube marketed as a "full synthetic" contain any Group ii or i base oils? I don't know. If they did, should we be concerend? Who knows.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm probably worrying too much. Seems any 10w-40 motorcycle oil I find on the store's shelf will do just as well an another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back