'09 Nissan Sentra Tranny fluid change (CVT).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what tools are need, or have you ever done it? Not interested on folks opinions on what fluid to use, or whether/when or not it needs to be done, just how it is done and any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for the link. I wish it had pics of where the fill plug is, or if it is done through the dipstick tube.

Out of curiosity, why are you changing so soon?

You saying not to offer opinions on fluids and whether it's necessary or not will only deter the helpful guys. The jerks will still chime in despite your request haha.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

You saying not to offer opinions on fluids and whether it's necessary or not will only deter the helpful guys. The jerks will still chime in despite your request haha.

That was helpful. . .

It has been a trend with Nissan/Infiniti to require customers use one or another of their specialized fluids. There are a bunch of different ATFs (e.g. Matic-D, J, and K) as well as different ones for the CVTs. I wouldn't mess with a non-spec fluid, especially in the CVTs.

I think the OP's limitation is very reasonable, and shouldn't (and apparently hasn't) deter anyone from assisting.

Originally Posted By: montero1
Thanks for the link. I wish it had pics of where the fill plug is, or if it is done through the dipstick tube.

Just refill through the tube. More than likely there isn't a fill plug if you have a tube with a dipstick.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the replies that actually contributed. The reason I didn't ask for whether or not to change, or what type of fluid, is because I know what fluid I'm using, and whether or not it needs to be changed is solely up to me. Also, I didn't want to clog the thread up with people arguing about these things, like the last time I posted this question some months back.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Here is how to do it on a 2007, and the 2009 is the same I think.

http://www.vpnavy01.com/nissan_pdf/sentra_2007_cvt_fluid_change.pdf

I wonder if the procedure/instructions are the same for a 2008 Altima? The "Premium Maintenance" schedule calls for replacing the CVT fluid at 30,000 miles. If the procedure is easy and the fluid cost isn't prohibitive, I'll do it to ensure my CVT continues to run smooth and problem-free.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Here is how to do it on a 2007, and the 2009 is the same I think.

http://www.vpnavy01.com/nissan_pdf/sentra_2007_cvt_fluid_change.pdf

I wonder if the procedure/instructions are the same for a 2008 Altima? The "Premium Maintenance" schedule calls for replacing the CVT fluid at 30,000 miles. If the procedure is easy and the fluid cost isn't prohibitive, I'll do it to ensure my CVT continues to run smooth and problem-free.

Should be the same. I can double-check once I download another copy of the service manual.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: barlowc
I wonder if the procedure/instructions are the same for a 2008 Altima?

Should be the same. I can double-check once I download another copy of the service manual.

That'd be great. The process looks about as simple as the Honda trans in our Vue. Just drain and fill.

I wonder how much drains out of the Nissan CVT? The PDF indicates an 8 3/4 quart capacity. Is most all of that going to drain out when the drain plug is pulled? Or is it like the Honda auto trans where only a portion comes out and you do a drain/fill x number of time to do a "flush"?

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

That was helpful. . .

It has been a trend with Nissan/Infiniti to require customers use one or another of their specialized fluids. There are a bunch of different ATFs (e.g. Matic-D, J, and K) as well as different ones for the CVTs. I wouldn't mess with a non-spec fluid, especially in the CVTs.

I think the OP's limitation is very reasonable, and shouldn't (and apparently hasn't) deter anyone from assisting.

I was mainly asking out of curiosity, to find out if there was a particular symptom he was trying to remedy of if the Nissan guys were having issues. "Just cuz" is fine; didn't mean to digress for curiosity's ssake. The second part was me just being silly. I guess I should have used a silly emoticon instead of just saying "haha"?

Also, didn't he say he didn't want any opinions on fluids; that he already has his fluid of choice?
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back