2003 Dodge Ram 5.9, high mileage- what oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!
Would love some feedback on oil choices. Just bought the truck and know nothing of it's past. It has 214,000 kms and I am going to do an oil change right away. Was going to buy PYB and a canadian tire oil filter (chinese made)but thought I would look here for some feedback. I do not want to use synthetic for cost reasons and have heard many myths about syn blends. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
P.S. The area I live in seems to have the best deals on Castrol GTX then any other oils. This oil seems to be disliked because of manufacturer?

Last edited:
Usually synthetics will save you $$ by going extended and doing LESS oil changes,you can get PU/PP or M1 from WM reasonable and they will do a very good job in cleaning up a neglected engine.

i switched my 225,000 mile z71 over the first day she hit my driveway,no issues.

Hello,
Is that the diesel engine ? If so just about anything on sale (Shell,Delo,Mobil) 15w40 in your area. If it gets really cold you might want to try a synthetic.

Cheers
B

I have a 5.9 Magnum in a '99 Durango. I run MaxLife 10w30 in it year round, seems to do a fine job. Wouldn't mind trying PYB HM, but hard to find it here for some reason.. FWIW, I shouldn't think you would have any "problems" at all with Castrol GTX HM

Use a decent dino 10w30 and change it every 3k to 4k. That engine is known for some carbon/sludge issues.Oil pump screens get covered in carbon chucks.In fact I'd stick with 3k oci.Now if using a extended mileage synthetic I'd roll it 6500 to 7500 miles but probably no more then that.

sorry for my ignorance...are all hm oils synthetic?
I was not aware of the sludge issue and am now worried. This was a farm truck and may have been "worked" without the pampering.

Take your average US MPG and multiply it by 300. Thats your OCI for conventional oil such as GTX or PYB. Buy whichever is cheaper.
12.4 MPG = 3720 Miles or 6000 km

My actual preference for that vehicle is a HDEO such as Shell Rotella T5 10W30. On that I would use a 500 Multiple.
12.4 MPG = 6200 Miles or 10000 km

I never had any sludge issues in the 5.9L Magnum following that formula.

Thanks everyone for the help.
I really liked the Rotella T5 idea but I doubt I will see that in my wallymart. I am going to check out the prices of Pennzoil high mileage and Castrol HM as well, I love the new HST tax here! This truck will be lucky to see 10,000 kms a year so maybe I'll spring an extra few bucks on HM oils. Thanks again!

Johnny recommended Quaker State High Mileage oil over Pennzoil High Mileage oil .

Andy

How often do you drive the truck? I use 10W-30 as well in my Dakota (5.2L) and change at 2k mile intervals, or about every 6 months. If you don't drive it a whole lot, you'll want to cut back on your intervals I would think. Any high mileage 10W-30 should be fine. I've used the Valvoline MaxLife and Pennzoil HMV oil and both are good. I also like Rotella 10W-30 in it. My local Walmart carries the Rotella in 10W-30 grade, in 1-gallon jugs.

I would just run PP and change it once a year if you dont put a ton of miles on it, use a good filter and you can get the PP in 5w-30 or 10W-30 for 15$ for a 5qt just after coupon at Walmart.

I am probably only going to rack up 1000 kms a month.
I just put in 10w30 Castrol GTX with a Napa Nascar filter.
I was unable to find a HDEO 10w30 in my area, but I actually had the Quaker State HM in my hands. Just put it back on the shelf because of doubts.Slim pickings in my area.
Esso XD-3 0w30 was $35.14 for 4 litres at my wallymart, I thought that a tad expensive with no litre bottles to buy for the 5th litre I needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back